Auto wipers not working

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auto wipers not working
Question 
Hi all,

I have a 2001 HDI Meridian fitted with auto wipers, but when I put the stalk in the auto position the wipers just stay on intermittent as if the sensor isn't detecting anything.

I've poked around behind the mirror and checked the sensor is plugged in, and the orange light comes on as it should. I've played with flicking the stalk up and down like the handbook says to activate the auto wipers, but still no joy.

What's broken, am I looking at getting new relays, a new sensor or something else? I've spent a lot of time searching around but everybody else seems to be having slightly different problems. My wipers judder occasionally but still park correctly and all 3 wiper speeds work, which seems to be a rarity with these cars(!).

Cheers for any advice you can give.
Thanks given by:
I'd say its the sensor at fault - motor or relays can only cause juddering or non-parking, sounds like your motor could do with a clean if it occasionally judders but that's not the main issue here.

Have you had a new windscreen recently? Sometimes the sensors don't get seated properly when screens are changed.
Thanks given by:
No new windscreen since I've owned the car, but the auto wipers haven't worked in that time either, so it's possible. How do I check if the sensor is seated? Looking from the outside I can see the two 'eyes' behind some clear plastic feet, so they should be able to see out. I'll try giving it a wiggle later and see if it improves.
Thanks given by:
I had this with mine a while back and i am sure, that if the sensor fails/breaks then when you select it to auto it just defaults to intermittent wipe mode.
A known working second hand sensor fixed the issue on mine.
Thanks given by:
I have a known working sensor I can post out if any help to you PM me.
[Image: ForumSignature.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(05-01-2014, 04:37 PM)JamesG Wrote: I have a known working sensor I can post out if any help to you PM me.

I don't have PM's yet but that would be great if you could send it. Can I e-mail you an address? jammyozzy (at) gmail dot com.
Thanks given by:
(08-01-2014, 10:04 PM)cr00000w Wrote:
(05-01-2014, 04:37 PM)JamesG Wrote: I have a known working sensor I can post out if any help to you PM me.

I don't have PM's yet but that would be great if you could send it. Can I e-mail you an address? jammyozzy (at) gmail dot com.

You have an email bud
[Image: ForumSignature.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to disable auto wipers bashbarnard 8 1,669 09-04-2016, 08:25 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  Retrofitting Auto Wipers RetroPug 6 1,460 06-08-2014, 04:04 PM
Last Post: RetroPug
  Auto wipers philpemberton94 12 2,145 05-08-2014, 04:30 PM
Last Post: RetroPug