Smoking and over revving

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoking and over revving
This morning driving on country roads and I noticed a lot of grey smoke coming from the exhaust. I slowed down then the engine started over revving. Then it stopped smoking and drove completely fine.

There's a whistiling whining noise most noticeable under load in 3rd and 4th. I'm thinking this could be a failing turbo??

One thing after another with the car now and im begining to think I've bought a banger! I'm not gonna throw loads of money at it with it's age. Strangely it's not done it once in the week I've been driving it though.

I'm also wondering if it could be due to my oil change and having over the max mark on the dipstick?
Thanks given by:
When you say over revving you mean it was revving by itself? How high rpm wise? It could be running on the oil from the turbo feed, I wouldn't drive it until you get a definate answer incase it properly runs away.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Yeah it revved by itself for about 2 seconds to about 4000 rpm.
Thanks given by:
Don't run it again.

Sounds to me like a turbo seal failure, meaning that the engine's running on it's own oil. Easily fixed with a replacement turbo but if it runs away on it's own oil then it's new engine time.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
How easy is a turbo replacement on these? What sort of expense?

I'm not willing to spend loads of cash on it
Thanks given by:
Easy...just a few bolts...

There's absolutely no access though, good luck lol. Confused
Thanks given by:
How to guide?
Thanks given by:
Pretty sure theres a guide in the guides section

Defo dont drive it cos it does sound like a dying turbo and if it sucks in much more oil it can run away and destroy the whole engine.

If theres not a guide personally I've got huge hands so I'd take the whole engine out to do the swap but if not unbolt the cat and remove it, get a block of wood and a jack under the sump and support its weight then undo the top engine mount then remove both oil lines and the boost pipe, remove the EGR system from the manifold then undo all the manifold nuts (they are copper nuts so made of cheese)

A turbo is sub £100 second hand on ebay or about £4-500 new
You'll want an exhaust manifold gasket.
A pair of EGR blanking plates (it'll make it easier to refit).
An exhaust fitting kit.
New manifold copper nuts.
Thanks given by:
Sorry chris but that's wrong. You will never get to the turbo from the top on a hdi. You have to remove the subframe, at which point it's dead easy. I reckon I could do a standard turbo replacement in a couple of hours.

Thanks given by:
In which case your hired jonny
Thanks given by:
Haha, erm well it won't be until the new year, but pm me and we'll sort something out if you want

Thanks given by:
Ive seen it done largely from the top without removing the sub frame Jonny so you cant say I'm wrong.
Thanks given by:
(23-12-2013, 04:03 AM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Ive seen it done largely from the top without removing the sub frame Jonny so you cant say I'm wrong.

I fail to see how, the access is so poor that one overtight bolt and you're stuffed. Whereas from underneath it's so easy to do.

Thanks given by:
Thumbs Up 
I agree with Jonny on this one, wayyyy easier from the bottom. You'd waste a lot of time fannying about trying to do it from the top imo Big Grin
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
Turns out the smoking and over revving wasn't a failing turbo but too much oil in the engine. Anyone following my other thread 'oil change' will have seen.
Thanks given by:
(04-01-2014, 07:31 PM)Whodafunk Wrote: Turns out the smoking and over revving wasn't a failing turbo but too much oil in the engine. Anyone following my other thread 'oil change' will have seen.

Was it just pushing the oil out the breather?
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
Did you put to much oil in it or have you just got the car
[Image: mike_sig_zpsd438fb98.jpg]

Thanks given by:
See his other thread, he drained the gearbox oil by accident (thinking it was engine oil) and then put in more engine oil so theres probably about 6 litres in there now....or was....
Thanks given by:
(Facepalm)
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Common causes of bad smoking? JTaylor2005 28 9,289 16-03-2015, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Poodle
  hdi very slow revving when first started gavxud 4 1,473 18-02-2014, 12:08 PM
Last Post: andywhy
Sad limp mode random revving maniac hdi mayotobo 6 2,482 02-07-2013, 06:28 AM
Last Post: Poodle