106 1.5D TURBO!! (again)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
106 1.5D TURBO!! (again)
AWESOME
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(24-01-2014, 07:20 PM)THE_Liam Wrote: No good mate, it'd have a 6 pot camplate on it if its a 200/300 TDI...

No, 200 and 300TDi are 4 pot, OHV with pushrods, there was no cylinder head on it and I could only count 4 cylinders Tongue

Damn sure it's a VE on it. I wonder if it's still sitting there... might be worth a look.
A moments silence please, for our brothers in the NAD-zone.
Thanks given by:
I imagine it would have a different pulley/driveshaft
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Worth a look, I have a sharp eye. Ive got pulleys lying bbout, one is bound to fit Smile
Thanks given by:
Okay, so as I'm still waiting for my fuel pump to arrive, I thought I'd crack on and tighten up my gear changes.

Fitted a new gear stick with a nylon bush that wasn't worn, then I made my own gear linkages from threaded rod and some sockets. Measure it out to the standard length of 331mm and then I popped off the old linkage.

[Image: 20140317_125953.jpg]
https://www.dropbox.com/s/udrtqobqx69pw7...125953.jpg

[Image: 20140317_105153.jpg]
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6krhz3g5nsbd1p...105153.jpg

Job was a good one Big Grin

Also, why the fsck can't I link to drop box? total bullshit.
Thanks given by:
Pictures are broken Wink

Thanks given by:
(17-03-2014, 06:44 PM)Chris_90 Wrote: Pictures are broken Wink

That's why I provided the direct link, smartass Tongue
Thanks given by:
(17-03-2014, 07:53 PM)Martin306 Wrote:

lol

Get turbo on Wink stop fannying around with other stuff Tongue

Thanks given by:
(17-03-2014, 09:47 PM)Chris_90 Wrote:
(17-03-2014, 07:53 PM)Martin306 Wrote:

lol

Get turbo on Wink stop fannying around with other stuff Tongue

I NEED the fuel pump! lol I've got everything else.

I just hope Sam has left diesel in it and not kept it dry. Smile
Thanks given by:
Love it
Thanks given by:
Wink 
So, I've still done sod all. Cutting it fine for FCS now I think.

Had a go at making my own inlet manifold, all was well until I welded the last tube, and warped the flange. So I'mma just get the standard one tigged up. That means I need to put the wastegate somewhere...

Anyways, Here's some NAD action. I got bored at work, so decided to fit a side exit.
Thanks given by:
Okay right, been a while since I last posted. Turbo was fitted last month. too much boost, boiled the bottom end.

got new shells from a 1.6 16v, whacked them in, drove 400 miles to FCS the next day with the turbo under the bonnet but not attached. Put it on stand anyway and displayed a conrod and some worn big end shells Tongue

Currently needing another 1.5D engine to do properly haha.

It was boosting about 20PSi with no wastegate at 4000rpm, still using the 8mm pump. Haven't moved the throttle arm but getting idle back as far as I can (sitting at 1100) I'd guess it was around 85-90hp. got it right up at 5000rpm in 5th no problem haha, it would never do that before.

Until next time!

It would be rude for me not to leave a picture, here's how it currently sits. un-turbo'd Sad

[Image: IMG_20150614_185054633_HDR.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I think someone pointed out your car to me at FCS mate, she's looking good and its awesome to see the turbo living on. I've got samass's V2 bits to turbo mine. Do you want a modified slam panel so there's space for the Bosch top hat, I'll be at pugfest or up in scotland immediately after

[attachment=23976]
Thanks given by:
Awesome. Nice to see another one.

Oil line is a bit keen isn't it? Tongue

How did the clutch stick it?
Thanks given by:
Oil line got an inline filter on it?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(23-06-2015, 06:02 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I think someone pointed out your car to me at FCS mate, she's looking good and its awesome to see the turbo living on. I've got samass's V2 bits to turbo mine. Do you want a modified slam panel so there's space for the Bosch top hat, I'll be at pugfest or up in scotland immediately after

Nah I'll just bash the slam panel! I'm going to transplant the internals from the 9mm VE pump and top hat, and fit it to the 8mm NAD VE pump, that way I can keep the adjustable pulley so save me having to modify the mounting bracket for the pump.

(24-06-2015, 08:03 AM)mr_fish Wrote: Awesome. Nice to see another one.

Oil line is a bit keen isn't it? Tongue

How did the clutch stick it?

haha yeah, I think when Sam made that oil line it was just what he had lying about. I'll be doing solid lines eventually.

Not a single issue with it at all. That's a standard VTS/GTi flywheel and OEM Valeo clutch. I think I'll have to be about 120/130hp before that starts slipping, although saying that it doesn't spool up until about 3000rpm, so I might get away with it.

(25-06-2015, 08:05 AM)silverzx Wrote: Oil line got an inline filter on it?

No, but the feed comes from a sandwich plate behind the oil filter.

I'm going to run an OEM style oil cooler using the heat exchanger, but the exchanger will have its own coolant circuit and small radiator. IF temps get too hot, then I'll just fit a conventional cooler Smile

The standard EGR flange on the exhaust manifold should be ideal for fitting an external wastegate too.

I got asked about intercooling too, but there's not a lot of space. thinking of either a charge cooler OR an L200 style top mount IC.
Thanks given by:
Why is there an ECU in your engine bay?
Thanks given by:
(25-06-2015, 08:46 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: Why is there an ECU in your engine bay?

Secret Wink
Thanks given by:
Isn't the oil from the sandwich plate pre filter?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
(27-06-2015, 10:57 AM)silverzx Wrote: Isn't the oil from the sandwich plate pre filter?

I don't think so  Nospeak

Doesn't matter anyway, I change my oil in this thing every 2000 miles, it's barely black when I take it out.

So, no need for a filter on t'turbo. I'll just talk the particles away from it. Rofl
Thanks given by:
(27-06-2015, 10:57 AM)silverzx Wrote: Isn't the oil from the sandwich plate pre filter?

It is indeed, i've done the same. It was a sub £40 turbo, it'd be cheaper to replace than to make up an assembly with an inline filter lol.

Be interested to see how you get on with modifying the standard nad pump to deal with boost, are you going to be recording/sharing your work?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
The standard oil lines don't have filters so I wouldn't worry too much.
Thanks given by:
The standard lines are fed from the filtered gallery i believe.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(29-06-2015, 01:17 PM)Poodle Wrote:

It is indeed, i've done the same. It was a sub £40 turbo, it'd be cheaper to replace than to make up an assembly with an inline filter lol.

Be interested to see how you get on with modifying the standard nad pump to deal with boost, are you going to be recording/sharing your work?

I would show you what it's like just now, but the engine is totally destroyed so I've turned it back into a NAD.

I had loads of pics and videos on my phone, but at FCS I got too drunk and dropped it down the toilet.  Rofl

Modifying the NAD pump won't be hard. It's just an 8mm VE, so the top hat will go straight on and hook into it no problemo.

I do have an 9mm VE with LDA lying about though, might try and get a 106 pulley to fit it's hub. might be an easier option. in fact I probably will do that.

Actually maybe I will modify the 8mm NAD pump, be more interesting to take the awkward route.

I've kinda lost interest in it again though as I have a 1.3 S1 Rallye as well needing totally rebuilt.
Thanks given by:
Don't lose interest, people always give up on the interesting projects. Sad

Fair play on the rallye though, always loved them.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Epic little project

Definitely keep the love
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
I'm sure I'll find another good 106 shell to put a 1.5D lump in Wink
Thanks given by:
"Welcome back, Martin306. You last visited: 03-07-2016, 11:21 PM "

Oops Well...

FINALLY found a low miles shell that's actually good, so I'm on engine number 3! This time with a Lucas DPC pump. Think I'll take my time with this one by tuning it NA first. It'll soon become a spare car when my new Up! GTi arrives in May. Thus making my 1.5D daily redundant and hence free for diesel activities.

I adjusted my max fuel screw (self locking JEEESUS thought my allen key was going to snap) by just under 1/4 turn and was disappointed, hardly any smoke. So I'm going a full 1/2 turn tomorrow, Sam says I should just go for a full turn but then again... he would, pikey.

Well here's the car: https://www.dropbox.com/s/unlfy7eucas5ir3/20171126_121836.jpg?dl=0

Here's the fuel pump magic screw Fuellus Maximus

you'll all love my speedo, as I've no tacho I took inspiration from an old Massey SpeeDoh!

So the scale is rpm x 100, the outer most is 2nd gear, the middle is 3rd and the inner most is 4th.
Thanks given by:
No, but the feed comes from a sandwich plate behind the oil filter.

I'm going to run an OEM style oil cooler using the heat exchanger, but the exchanger will have its own coolant circuit and small radiator. IF temps get too hot, then I'll just fit a conventional cooler Smile

The standard EGR flange on the exhaust manifold should be ideal for fitting an external wastegate too.

I got asked about intercooling too, but there's not a lot of space. thinking of either a charge cooler OR an L200 style top mount IC.
[/quote]

would love to see pix ov this setup
It goes, it stops (as reqd). Makeup
Hate Housework!
Thanks given by:
(25-02-2018, 07:19 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: No, but the feed comes from a sandwich plate behind the oil filter.

would love to see pix ov this setup
[/quote]

I destroyed the engine before I got a chance... funnily enough because the oil got too hot and cooked the big end shells.

So unfortunately I've no pictures.

An external oil cooler is definitely required though, that I know for sure.

I'll be reviving this again sometime in the summer after I get my new car.

So for tonights antics:

After fettling the pump I've got the max fuel set just right, which was nearly 1/4 turn.

Only natural to see if I can reach terminal velocity so I set off flat out from my village to the next (about 3 miles) and didn't lift off the throttle once. got to about 100 on the speedo, nice orange embers emerging from the tailpipe! Big Grin

I've got bigger wheels on and my speedo face wasn't printed at the right scale but it felt nearly 100 hahaha!

Going to try and get it on the dyno next week.
Thanks given by: