Battery light problems :(

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battery light problems :(
I did a search but couldn't see any post with the same problems,

the other day the clock/temp display stopped working, turned out just both bulbs broke, the electric windows stopped working and the battery light comes on, but not constant or at the same time space

the windows i know is the common broken loom, but all the above happened within a hour,

my main concern is the battery light, i took the car a 20 min drive tonight, all lights on, heating, stereo, all the normal stuff, the light didnt come on till i was nearly back home,

battery is a week old silver top bosch, its holding 12.7v on its own and getting 13.8 to 14v when the engine is on,

when i turn the car of and back on again, the battery light has went out.

any ideas what i should be looking for?
Thanks given by:
Problem sorted, alternator is at fault, its dropped to putting out under 10v tonight, new one will be ordered tomorrow.
Thanks given by:
Glad we could help, lol.
Thanks given by:
Holy Thread Revival Batman!!

Can you confirm this was your alternator? As mine has just developed the exact same symptoms a couple days after putting a new battery on. Can anybody explain why this happens? Just curious really!
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
The battery light is really simple Kez, its located between the battery and alternator. It extinguishes when the battery voltage and alternator voltage are balanced (14v charging give or take) as the power can't go anywhere. When the alt stops producing enough charge, the battery voltage is higher, and passes back to the alternator to balance the circuit, putting voltage through the batt light so it lights up. As your old batt was low on charge, the voltage between that and a dying alternator were both low but even. Put a new batt on and it shows the alternator fault!

Its most often the alt or battery at fault, but can of course be earth points or connections aswell.
Thanks given by:
Wunderbar, and the way to check is putting a multimeter on the battery while running and it should read 14.something? How can I confirm it's not just a bad earth, slack belt or something?

Cheers Tom!
Thanks given by:
Fuse 28 can cause the battery light to come on too
Thanks given by:
It's not on constant though, does that make a difference? What's the deal with the clock bulbs and windows?
Thanks given by:
So assuming this is the Alternator (still pondering on the effects on the bulbs and windows?), how hard is it to replace?
Thanks given by:
pretty easy...

battery off, tensioner loose, belt off, wiring off, unbolt alternator, throw over shoulder, fit new one.

Edit: actually I dunno for the HDI so ignore that Smile hopefully easy, its nice and easy on an XUD, you should prolly just fit one of those Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Haha, ta for the tip Tongue anyone done one on an HDi? Also, are alternators really like £200, a quick look on ECP has me worried :S
Thanks given by:
Yeah its as easy as that....but space is an issue on the HDi! I haven't replaced one in situ, so not sure how easy it is to get between the rad and either the PAS pump or the AC pump...but Im sure you'll find out lol.

And yeah they are expensive new, but can get a used one or even a refurb fairly cheap. Might even be somewhere near you that'll refurb yours.
Thanks given by:
If its non Aircon its easy. if its Aircon you have the pas pump at the top which is right in the way
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
Cullybackey was right, it's nothing to do with the alternator, its fuse 28 that's the problem. That explains the windows etc too, as they're all on the same fuse.

Replaced the fuse with a spare, but it blew immediately, what's going on?!
Thanks given by:
Any ideas why the fuse is popping?
Thanks given by:
fuse 28 runs electric windows, the time/temp display and rear wiper................one of these will have a fault........

bet you any money you need a new rear wiper.........disconnect it then replace the 15A fuse and turn the ignition on and see if it blows
Thanks given by:
That sounds pretty likely, its been on the blink for a while.

Cheers Gareth I'll give that a go!
Thanks given by:
Rear wiper, blows fuse 28. First happened to me 8 years ago. Blue relay will be corroded on the wiper, just Unplug it for now and replace the fuse.

Think I was first to suffer from that ages ago!
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Bah, finally got around to messing with this, unplugged the relay, looked fine...

[Image: IMAG0539_zps76c7f406.jpg]

...but the connector to the wiper motor looked a bit dodgy.

[Image: IMAG0540_zps2ab0bba7.jpg]

I thought brilliant, problem solved! Plugged in my last spare 15A fuse, turned the ignition and POP it's gone again :/

Bloody French electrics!
Thanks given by:
so its fuse 28 that protects rear wiper, elec windows, time/temp display and the bat light......can anyone put up the complete list with fuse numbers so we know which fuse is say number 12, and what it protects etc etc etc .....there seems a need for it and I'm still going round in circles as to which fuse is number 28????Blush

if fuse 28 protecvts those circuits mentioned, go throught each one methodically........till you find the one that's blowing the fuse ( short circuit?! _)

does the hdi alternator have replaceable "brushes" or are they part of the voltage regulator like on a ford??

a parts exploded views with prices and descriptions mail order parts place may be a good place to visit?? anyone know of such a place??
Thanks given by:
Don't mind me, it was the rear wiper motor, just hadn't unplugged enough shit, thought the relay would be enough!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Battery warning light/fuse keeps blowing.HELP Clump1298 8 1,763 03-09-2020, 08:21 AM
Last Post: ekjdm14
  Flashing battery light. NEW PROBLEMS Matt 25 5,552 11-09-2016, 06:57 AM
Last Post: C2K
  Battery light jordanhdi 5 1,412 19-04-2016, 06:39 AM
Last Post: Frosty