CFD & FEA

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CFD & FEA
Well I've decided this year of uni I'm going to get awesome at CFD, as we have some pretty swanky software (Ricardo Wave for CFD, Altair Hyperworks for FEA, CATIA, Solidworks and Creo for design stuff) on all the Mechanical Engineering PCs and I only have 2 years left to use them.

I'm currently learning with the aim of designing a new exhaust for our formula student car, which runs a restricted (it's still plenty fast enough in a car that weighs about 300kg) Yamaha R6 engine, but I'm pondering what useful stuff I could look at for the HDi.

I'm guessing the exhaust manifold is a sack of shit as standard, as most are, and how much potential benefit could come from a redesign? I can get materials cheap, and free labour, so now's the time for me to do these things!

Maybe I should be enterprising and offer some engineering consultancy work for you guys Tongue
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
Make me an exhaust manifold for a GT22xx that relocated to over the gearbox? Please??
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
To be honest, given all the necessary measurements, there's no reason why it shouldn't be piss easy, really.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, it shouldn't be difficult at all. But if you felt you needed practice making stuff...
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Ill take one
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(18-10-2013, 10:45 PM)Kezzieboy Wrote: I can get materials cheap, and free labour, so now's the time for me to do these things!

hmm cheap free you say

il take a exhaust manifold for a TD05 that relocates to over the gearbox on a GTI6

Please
Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(19-10-2013, 04:59 AM)cully Wrote:
(18-10-2013, 10:45 PM)Kezzieboy Wrote: I can get materials cheap, and free labour, so now's the time for me to do these things!

hmm cheap free you say

il take a exhaust manifold for a TD05 that relocates to over the gearbox on a GTI6

Please
Big Grin

+1
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
And if you need somewhere to run your simulations Wink
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
turbo k series, you know you want to...

Interesting idea though, are your uni labs quite relaxed with you doing practical stuff in there? Bradford won't let us do anything ourselves we have to get the technicians to do it all.
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Engine mounts to drop an XUD in a Viva?
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(19-10-2013, 12:38 PM)lolsteve Wrote: turbo k series, you know you want to...

Interesting idea though, are your uni labs quite relaxed with you doing practical stuff in there? Bradford won't let us do anything ourselves we have to get the technicians to do it all.

If you're part of the formula student team, yeah, the dude who runs it is a legend, and has got like 30 odd alumni from the team over the last 10 years the most incredible jobs in motorsport/automotive engineering!

But yeah, I'm gonna keep plugging at it, and if I can get some proven results on the RaceCar, I'll see what you guys might fancy. Even if I could just produce the designs for you to then get built up? As it might be taking the piss if I started just fabricating everything in the lab for stuff other than the car it's there for Tongue
Thanks given by: