rain sensitive wipers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
rain sensitive wipers
My rain sensitive wipers no longer work as they should.
Wipers don't self park and max speed wipers always finish cycle half way up the screen. Anyone else have similar problems and does anyone know of a fix for this annoying problem
Thanks given by:
You probably need a new motor.........sounds like one (or more) of the thin copper contacts have broken inside the motor.

Take the motor off the car and open it up to confirm.
Thanks given by:
this maybe fixable by removing motor and opening it all up, cleaning contacts, bending pins a little more and regreasing...
but be ready to put another motor on!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I did mine the other day as it happens:

[Image: 7cb3aef9.jpg]

The contacts get covered in grease, get it open and have a clean up!
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
the contacts need all that grease...dont leave them dry!!!

its the old grease going hard that allows the contacts to wear out
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
You want grease to surround the contacts, but if it is covering the tracks of the contacts too much it will act as a grinding paste, leaving you with carbon grease, a poor conductor, and cause contact issues. Providing such symptoms as above Smile

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
grease acting as a grinding paste?!

righto...must go out and take all the grease out of my wheel bearings then lmao

wack a load of grease in there and warm the contact pins and then bend them ever so slightly towards the tracks.

then make sure you grease up the ball joints on the wiper mechanism while you at it.

I have done this on every pug me and my friends have owned as soon as ownership been done...improves them immediately and avoids future issues.

however if the grease has gone hard/old then the contact pins may have ground themselves away/snapped due to lack of lubrication reducing the friction...then you really need new motor or contact pins

PS this would all depend on WHAT grease you are using grant??
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(14-10-2013, 07:20 AM)Piggy Wrote: grease acting as a grinding paste?!

righto...must go out and take all the grease out of my wheel bearings then lmao

wack a load of grease in there and warm the contact pins and then bend them ever so slightly towards the tracks.

then make sure you grease up the ball joints on the wiper mechanism while you at it.

I have done this on every pug me and my friends have owned as soon as ownership been done...improves them immediately and avoids future issues.

however if the grease has gone hard/old then the contact pins may have ground themselves away/snapped due to lack of lubrication reducing the friction...then you really need new motor or contact pins

PS this would all depend on WHAT grease you are using grant??

I think you will find that your wheel bearings are a SEALED bearing, meaning that nothing should enter or exit the environment the bearings are kept in.

In the scenario of the wiper motor, which we are talking about in this case, it is not a sealed unit. Water will drip from the wipers and windscreen onto it. As we know, your car is dirty and water will transport this dirt when the windscreen is wiped. Grease will trap and hold dirt, so any micro particles in the grease, will now act as a grinding paste.

Maybe a good read for you below:

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read...rgreasing-

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys. Will have a look at motor later today.
Thanks given by:
there should be NO reason that water gets into that gearhead if you seal it up and refit it correctly
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I'd like to replace my rain sensitive wipers with 'normal' ones.

The 'epileptic windmill' act in a light drizzle is getting old. lol

(Nah, they don't do it that much really)
[Image: MIRKxNP.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Just unplug the sensor, then the sensitive wiper mode will just be intermittent Smile

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Also for the OP i have a wiper motor in the shed that is for sale
Thanks given by:
I just bought my 306 this evening and noticed I may have the same problem, have to hold the wiper stalk down for the wipers to work without stopping, then on the second speed they stop randomly, my mate says it could possibly be the stalk itself causing the problem, could this be so? or will it definitely be the motor?
Thanks given by:
sounds like motor runners
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
What do you mean motor runners?
Thanks given by:
Took motor out other day and stripped it. Yes I have a broken pin/contact. Cleaned up contacts and stuck it back together. Wipers now park on spray wipe setting. Still no park on single wipe tho
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rain sensor auto/intermittent wiper problems camoturd 4 1,283 25-11-2015, 12:22 PM
Last Post: Toms306
  Strange idle after radiator bleed...in the rain x-axis 6 1,982 27-08-2013, 10:16 PM
Last Post: x-axis