Dead alternator?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead alternator?
On Saturday night when driving back from Glasgow my battery light came on but at a kind of half brightness. Having the mechanical sympathy that I do, I continued to drive home thinking "f*ck it, probably a faulty light" and that it was only 15 mins to home so if the alternator packed in the battery would be plenty juicy enough to get me there.

Sure enough I made it home with no issues, which I thought was the end of the matter.

Today i've just been out to the car and the battery is so flat the ignition lights don't even come on. It's only been a couple of days and the battery's less than a year old and always held good charge, it's a 68Ah/700CCA battery too so a decent size. Just hoping flattening it completely hasn't f*cked it.

My first thoughts are alternator diodes given that the battery light was on dimly and there's been a healthy drain on it, probably a couple of amps. Need to get a multimeter on it but need a working battery first to check drain too.

Any other suggestions?
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
You've got it there really. Get it running then check the output voltage. If it's lower than 14v, it's had it.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Check it at the alternator itself aswell to rule out wiring.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Not had it running as I need to get a jump start but the alternator failed the diode test on the MM. The diodes are open, explains the massive draw, battery only reading 0.1v.

New alternator needed then...
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Charge the battery ASAP. Leaving it flat WILL kill it due to sulphation. Never leave a lead acid battery below 100% charge or this will happen.
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Battery light slightly on, then dead as a dodo, alternator?? CJ_Derv 6 2,847 14-08-2012, 01:22 PM
Last Post: CJ_Derv