1.8 16v - gti 6 conversion.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.8 16v - gti 6 conversion.
Hi everyone as per my thread below. I believe it was my cambelt that had snapped yesterday :/
So was thinking instead of shelling out to repair that one. I was thinking of dropping in a gti 6 engine.

Any advice. Tips. Help. Pros. Cons etc would be very helpful and maybe a link to a conversion already done on here?

Thankyou in advance
Thanks given by:
Easier to buy a whole GTi6 as a donor for a start, as you'll need a lot of parts and bits you probably won't think of immediately.

I would say cheaper/easier to buy a GTi6 and have done with it, but notice you have a 5-door.

You'll need to swap a lot of it over and it's worthwhile upgrading the brakes and suspension all at once too. If 5 doors aren't necessary then it's a bit of a pointless conversion IMO.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
yeh its a bit of a pointless conversion. itd be cheaper and better just to buy a 6. then you get the thicker torsion bars, bigger brakes, little bits of trim, 6 speed box, and the engine most importantly!
Thanks given by:
Tbh, CARs right.. you're looking at £350'ish for everything you need engine wise.. plus suspension & brakes etc.. better off just buying a '6..
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I need the 5 doors thought, I regularly take my mother in law to hospital appointments so its easier to get her the back of the car.
Could anyone list the major points I'd need to make it work Smile

For example.
Engine
Engine loom etc

Thanks
Thanks given by:
Engine, loom, ecu, suspension, brakes, dash clocks, gearbox, clutch, 6 speed gear shifter is what I can think of so far...
Thanks given by:
Would be using my original gearbox so what would that eliminate?

Could use my original clutch?
Thanks given by:
Box shifter and rack if I remember rightly
Thanks given by:
just find a gti6 with mot ending or similar...be 300/400quid.

get all the bits you need. sell the rest as spares. scrap the shell and it will make a lot of the money back
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I think you would be better off and easier to use the 6 box .

But as said buy a whole gti6 would be the quicker easier way to go about it. It could end taking alot of time and hassle fecking about finding all the parts seperate

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Cambelts snapped Sad how do I know? It's in my hands lol
I stopped pretty much straight away.
Any glimmer of a hope it might be ok?
Thanks
Thanks given by:
Could bang a new head on it and it should be ok but no guarantees.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Be a good excuse to put a 6 head on it with management and manifolds
Thanks given by:
^^^thats not a bad shout...save a bit of weight too!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(16-09-2013, 05:01 PM)Piggy Wrote: ^^^thats not a bad shout...save a bit of weight too!

Any further more in depth how to? I'm a complete novice as you can probably tell lol Smile
Thanks given by:
From what I understand of the conversion the head bolts on no probs, then you run 6 manifolds injectors fuel rail and ecu, unsure on loom atm, a few people on here have done it ill track down the threads and link them
Thanks given by:
dont put a 5 speed gearbox on a 6. the gearbox is half the fun!
Thanks given by:
Found an engine same as my original one. 86k - 10k less than my original engine, picked it up for £50 out of running car, hopefully transplanting it tomorrow Smile
Thanks given by: