Broken gti6, update/help?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broken gti6, update/help?
IMO save the time and effort and get another engine.

When my cambelt went it cost me £400 in a new head, skimming, head gasket, head bolts, cambelt etc

Can get an engine bare for £100 and stick a new cambelt on it for £100 max!
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
(04-09-2013, 12:28 PM)Matt Wrote: IMO save the time and effort and get another engine.

When my cambelt went it cost me £400 in a new head, skimming, head gasket, head bolts, cambelt etc

But when the works done you know it's good for a lot longer
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(04-09-2013, 12:40 PM)kentiiboii Wrote:
(04-09-2013, 12:28 PM)Matt Wrote: IMO save the time and effort and get another engine.

But when the works done you know it's good for a lot longer

What Kent said, also the fact of the second hand engine could be a tapper or head gasket gone, etc like I say will rip it apart and go from there see what happens

Thanks given by:
when does the strip down begin? interested to see whats happened.
Thanks given by:
(04-09-2013, 01:29 PM)mr_fish Wrote: when does the strip down begin? interested to see whats happened.

Next week hopefully as struggling for tools well the Allen Key head socket things lol so waiting for my Mate to bring his socket set Undecided unless I buy some more before then. I will update tho soon as I no anything

Thanks given by:
Slight bit of an update, as im bored and struggling with tools thought i would re time it up and see what happened. So it now turns over with out and tapping/clicking noise but still a non starter, not sure if there's no compression or something to do with stater not turning it enough.

So abit stuck now as i would expect some noise if there was bent valves? or am i wrong could still be bent but just not hitting the pistons?

Still looking like a strip down but wont be any time soon as gonna have to buy a new socket set Sad

What rpm should it turn over at on the starter motor? its only turning over at 250 rpm according to rev gauge thought it would be around 500rpm?

Thanks given by:
If the valves are bent they wont hitting the pistons now it's timed but won't be sealing on the valve seats so no compression or very low compression at best hence not starting.

Head off, new valves, head gasket set, head bolts, head skim, new timing belt kit, may as well change water pump while you're in there and bingo!
Make sure the pistons arn't damaged and if any of the valves have snapped check the bores arn't scored before buying parts.
Thanks given by:
If your really bored and have basic tools around you could always wip the inlet off and have a nosey at the valves, there probably all bent but like you said your in it for the experience.
Thanks given by:
(05-09-2013, 08:01 PM)306Dan Wrote: If your really bored and have basic tools around you could always wip the inlet off and have a nosey at the valves, there probably all bent but like you said your in it for the experience.

I no some one said that on this post before, but didn't think it was possible to see the valves with the inlet off, but I will get it off and see, I lack in confidence with this stuff as don't wanna kill anything but with the 6 I carnt brake it any more than it already is so thats why I'm using it to learn never touched a cambelt in my life till I did this one on here. Its getting stripped down soon as a have a free day so I will get inlet off first have a nosey

Thanks given by:
You'll see them with ease, you can always do a reverse leakage test with some Petrol in the ports to see if it escapes when that cylinder is at TDC,
Thanks given by:
tbh mate i think your best bet would be to get it compression tested. that way youll know if its a bent valve, plus you'll know which cylinder it is.

that way itll narrow it down for you before you go spending money stripping it down.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2013, 12:47 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: tbh mate i think your best bet would be to get it compression tested. that way youll know if its a bent valve, plus you'll know which cylinder it is.

that way itll narrow it down for you before you go spending money stripping it down.

I thought this but I carnt find any one with a compression tester I can lend, I'm just gonna strip it down as there's gonna be damage when the inlet cam was out 90 degrees, weather is shite at min tho so will be waiting till it stops raining till I get some bits off

Thanks given by:
just been told you can buy compression testers for £10-15. could save you money if you find out theres no bent valves.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2013, 01:32 PM)kentiiboii Wrote: just been told you can buy compression testers for £10-15. could save you money if you find out theres no bent valves.

got a Link? cos ones i were looking at were like £50

Just got bored and took inlet manifold off, but guessing i can still do a compression test with it off?

Thanks given by:
You can hear theres no compression when its motoring over, save yourself the 10quid and spend it on some new valves lol.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2013, 06:17 PM)Tom Wrote: You can hear theres no compression when its motoring over, save yourself the 10quid and spend it on some new valves lol.

But I'm wondering if it's a lazy starter motor? What rpm dose a start motor turn the engine at?

Thanks given by:
compression would slow the engine turning speed
your engine is turning fast with no compression

maybe you need to listen to what people are telling you

reverse leakage would be a good one to try now you have the inlet off!
Thanks given by:
Don't bother with a cheap compression tester. They are utter shite.
And yeah as had been said, there is no compression there. Something is badly wrong there which I could almost put money on saying it will need a strip down at minimum.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2013, 08:50 PM)cully Wrote: compression would slow the engine turning speed
your engine is turning fast with no compression

maybe you need to listen to what people are telling you

reverse leakage would be a good one to try now you have the inlet off!

I am listening to people, but I'm trying every last thing I can before I do (even tho I've started stripping it down) reverse leakage? Putting Fuel in valves when there closed?

(06-09-2013, 08:58 PM)Niall Wrote: Don't bother with a cheap compression tester. They are utter shite.
And yeah as had been said, there is no compression there. Something is badly wrong there which I could almost put money on saying it will need a strip down at minimum.

I didn't think they would be any good but I've not seen any for less than £30 any way. Strip down is happening just slowly and as said in last post just trying every thing before

Thanks given by:
I wouldnt even waste the fuel on a leakage test.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2013, 09:31 PM)Tom Wrote: I wouldnt even waste the fuel on a leakage test.

But what if the valves arnt bent? If they hold Fuel weres it loseing it's compression?

Thanks given by:
Exhaust valves. Think how the engine gets its compression, basically to fix any of those the head has to come off.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
If there's a bent inlet valve there will be a bent exhaust valve and vice versa, unless the cam broke that is
Thanks given by:
(06-09-2013, 10:04 PM)306Dan Wrote: If there's a bent inlet valve there will be a bent exhaust valve and vice versa, unless the cam broke that is

How would this work? The exhaust cam was still in time and the inlet cam out by 90 degrees so surely the exhaust valves will be fine still being in time?

Thanks given by:
^^^ yeah you're right chris.

but for goodness sake...just get the bloody head off already!!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(07-09-2013, 06:37 AM)Piggy Wrote: ^^^ yeah you're right chris.

but for goodness sake...just get the bloody head off already!!!

lol i will do soon carnt blame me for trying every single angle first, as the cost of headgasket kit etc scares me Sad but im doing my best so i can keep it......

SO some buy my lensos!! Wink

Thanks given by:
if you guna keep it, peace of mind having the head off and gaskets done as at that age/mileage its guna need doing soon anyway.

lensos were in mimd for someone else...sorry
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Just the cost of the kit scares you? What about skim and pressure test? The machine shop got all my parts and did all the work, and that was 170quid!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(07-09-2013, 10:14 AM)Tom Wrote: Just the cost of the kit scares you? What about skim and pressure test? The machine shop got all my parts and did all the work, and that was 170quid!

£170?! What did you get for that? Seem really good price!

Striped some more today, any one got some tips on removing the exhaust manifold? Has it got to come off the engine mount and move engine forward?

Also stuffed with the rear cam cover bolts rounded off so got no choice to try and drill them gonna be a right ball ache! Sad

Thanks given by:
It was my first inkling when viewing the video that a Cam was 180 degrees out, you later infer you found this 90 degrees out so I would expect this to be what you meant. Either that or something was at the end of its slot?

Compression testing does not normally highlight valve issues over and above normal compression spread. The tapping is the valve snapping back into its seat. It would be worthwhile on a non runner though.

When the valves contact each other, exhaust normally wins the fight. You normally find inlet valves bent on the 6 engine and not exhaust.

This really sounds like something is bent. I'd offer to help but you're miles away.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by: