Dum-Dums VNT 2.1TD OEM+ Bianca Estate. (loads of pics and video now added)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dum-Dums VNT 2.1TD OEM+ Bianca Estate. (loads of pics and video now added)
Dum dum, I want to see a video Inlove
Thanks given by:
I think I've done myself over with this turbo fitting. The turbo has to come off to adjust the actuator and the actuator has to come off to adjust the vane stop. ARSE!

I know its only 3 bolts to take the turbo off but its the pain in the arse of boost pipes, exhaust, air filter piping and oil pipes that is the bother, it just feels so bloody time consuming.

Currently the power band is about 2750rpm onwards which obviously needs adjusting. I'm very confident that this is because the vane stop is well out

(23-08-2014, 04:31 PM)akuma406 Wrote: Dum dum, I want to see a video Inlove
I might do a video tonight if I get the turbo adjusted. I'm definitely in love with the car again, it's just so smooth.
Thanks given by:
I guess that says you get full boost 2750rpm?
Then between 500rpm and 2000rpm, which works better, oem turbo or turbo vnt?
Thanks given by:
(23-08-2014, 06:03 PM)akuma406 Wrote: I guess that says you get full boost 2750rpm?
Then between 500rpm and 2000rpm, which works better, oem turbo or turbo vnt?

No. Currently its full boost at a little past 3000rpm I think (I have no tachometer) but its really going by 2750rpm.

It is still better than the standard turbo because mine was dying and so it wouldn't boost at all till about 3000rpm and only peaked at 15psi

I have been out and adjusted he actuator 2 turns and the stop about 6 turns so hopefully the boost will come in alot sooner. If its working I'll get a video.
Thanks given by:
Popcorn
Thanks given by:
As promised an update in pictures Smile

So eventually got the old turbo off, f*cking pain in the arse that as with the engine in place.
[attachment=18541]

And here is the size comparison.
[attachment=18542]

Went to drill the manifold plate and found a 100mm disc wasn't enough oops
[attachment=18543]

Had a brief think about how to get a bit of metal the right size with the holes perfectly drilled and tapped in it and realised that the flange of the original turbo was perfect so i cut it off. It then got the 10mm disc welded to it for strength and for the ease of fitting and welding the 45mm pipe to it as the hole was 45mm.
[attachment=18544]

Cleaned up the manifold studs, and had to double nut one end to get the original nuts off. You can see before and after style in the picture. 20 years of rust though so not too bad.
[attachment=18545]

Next up the reason I had no boost, the lower is the original EGR plate and the upper is a flat straight bit of metal. It was pissing exhaust gsses out of all 3 sides. It got a new plate cut out of the upper bit of metal that was 3mm steel
[attachment=18546]

I then welded the new plate was welded to the manifold
[attachment=18547]
[attachment=18548]

Then onto welding up the link pipe which was a ballache as it took loads of test fit, attach next pipe, cut, tack weld, re test fit, and then fully weld it and thats for every joint.
[attachment=18549]
[attachment=18550]

MTF
Thanks given by:
Nice progress dude Smile get some moar pics up!
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2014, 10:43 AM)Grant Wrote: Nice progress dude Smile get some moar pics up!
Oh alright then.

Made a mount for it out of a seat runner and a bit of exhaust to extend it. It now has a flat bit welded to the top and the bottom of the link pipe so it slides with heat expansion.
[attachment=18551]

Got the turbo properly on for the first time
[attachment=18552]

And then added the boost pipes and oi lines for a test
[attachment=18553]

Got my bottom engine mount swapped for an old design red powerflow and its a big improvement.
[attachment=18554]

Knocked up a 3" down pipe which wasn't fun, lots more testing and tacking.
[attachment=18555]

Swapped the main breather that had been blowing oil and it was so brittle and split
[attachment=18556]

Mounted the battery in the boot, using the upper seatbelt mount, roof earth and a blank hole which were all cleaned back to bare metal.
[attachment=18557]
[attachment=18558]
[attachment=18559]

So you lot might as well have some photos of her finished.

[attachment=18560]
[attachment=18561]
[attachment=18562]

And how about a you tube video of a 30-70 (well 25-80)

Thanks given by:
Your vid is upside down brother man lol
Don't worry about what I'm doing, I want you to worry about what you're doing
Thanks given by:
Nice one Chris. Looks pretty epic. Need to take me out in this when I next see you Smile
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Ooooo, great story. A gt2356v not be too big? It will blow over 2bar? There will be a turbo lag far in the xud11? That pressure runs in the video?
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2014, 11:13 AM)Kwik Wrote: Your vid is upside down brother man lol
Yep Smile

(24-08-2014, 11:18 AM)Niall Wrote: Nice one Chris. Looks pretty epic. Need to take me out in this when I next see you Smile
I will do mate, TBH you can have a drive if your insured.

(24-08-2014, 03:26 PM)akuma406 Wrote: Ooooo, great story. A gt2356v not be too big? It will blow over 2bar? There will be a turbo lag far in the xud11? That pressure runs in the video?
It might be too big, I've still not finished playing with adjusting the stop screw and actuator so there is still lag but I might manage to dial that out yet. It is still very drivable and i'll take a slight low end trade off for that top end power as its still holding peak boost at 5000rpm even on a 9mm pump.

In that video its only running 20psi and still hazing (smoking a little) on boost so I am going to wind it up a little more when I find the time or the enthusiasm as its just nice having a running car at the moment. Also I am blowing the boost hose on the turbo so dont really want to wind it up till that is more secure.

I will get the fuel and boost turned up and put it on a dyno within a month or so.

On the up side if it is too big mercedes use lots of turbos with the same flanges including the GT2256V and the GT1856V so it would be no great hardship to fit something smaller.
Thanks given by:
Hairspray or washing up liquid man. should sort it out. Really missing not having my 205 on the road at the moment. Will have a new (much better paying) job soon so build will be rapidly underway again! so I can afford the epic boost insurance.
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2014, 05:47 PM)pugmanxud Wrote: Hairspray or washing up liquid man. should sort it out.

I wish! Superglue didn't solve the problem so I don't think anything less will touch it.

It only has a jubilee on it at the moment (dont have a t-bar clamp big enough, one is on order though). Also not sure that the fact that the hoses are 90* bends but aren't running quite perfectly doesn't have something to do with it so I may have a think about re piping it.
Thanks given by:
Superglue is gash with silicone honestly try hairspray
Thanks given by:
As above, hairspray works great.
Thanks given by:
About time this was gearbox mounted Big Grin nice going dude
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2014, 06:35 PM)pugmanxud Wrote: Superglue is gash with silicone honestly try hairspray

(24-08-2014, 06:45 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: As above, hairspray works great.
I'll try that when i get a chance then

(24-08-2014, 06:50 PM)ozonehostile Wrote: About time this was gearbox mounted Big Grin nice going dude
Yeah its needed it since I first fitted the engine to the sedan almost 2 years ago.
Thanks given by:
good to see the 2.1s being tuned properly recently good work Smile I may have missed it but what turbos on there at the minute?
Thanks given by:
(24-08-2014, 08:27 PM)ash23 Wrote: good to see the 2.1s being tuned properly recently good work Smile I may have missed it but what turbos on there at the minute?

Its a GTA2359VK.

Standard fit on the 320CDi Mercs of a certain era (circa 2001).
Thanks given by:
I would suggest if you struggle with control/boost....perhaps electronic control. Be epic if you get it all working well
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I'm not struggling with boost control any more than i struggle with fueling control
Thanks given by:
There is a lot of pressure for now, see where the turbo can regulate mechanically.
See all you get, will be a very important thing to consider.
Thanks given by:
Its not alot of pressure really 20psi and the turbo regulates it fine. The fact I'm hazing on boost and holding a very steady peak boost for all of the power band suggests that the boost is being controlled by the turbo/actuator rather than limited by fueling.
Thanks given by:
20psi with that turbo is a LOT of air being moved. Im surprised its hazing. You may find that much more than 20psi with that thing will start doing bad things to the head and be leaving its efficiency zone Confused

Im on the 11mm pump...and at 1.1bar on my gtb2056 its not hazing at full chat. I know my pump is turned down a bit but still.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Looking great Dum! Well done on the fabrication etc.

Certainly looks like she goes well.

(25-08-2014, 06:13 AM)Piggy Wrote: 20psi with that turbo is a LOT of air being moved. Im surprised its hazing. You may find that much more than 20psi with that thing will start doing bad things to the head and be leaving its efficiency zone

20psi on that turbo is exactly the same amount of air being moved as any other turbo?? On a 2.1l engine it takes a certain amount of mass flow to create 20psi, that doesn't change with any size of turbo. The engine is a fixed displacement.

What do you mean?

Also, I would have thought a turbo that big will be in it's peak efficiency at a fair bit more boost than that!!

Dum, how advanced is the pump? Might be worth knocking it forward a touch if it's a big hazy.

JP
JP
Thanks given by:
Piggy I can't find a compressor map for my turbo so I have been working off this one for a GT2259. IIRC the air flow is somewhere between 16-21lb/min in the rev range you use so off that I should spend most of the time in the top 2 islands.

[Image: 452214-3comp.jpg]

James thats not a bad shout, I'll give it a go but IIRC it sounded a little knocky any further forward when we fitted the engine.
Thanks given by:
I wouldnt work off that map buddy.

May aswell guess. Different size and 2 generations older technology.

Is a shame there arent any maps for GTA/C/B turbos
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I dont think its as far out as your trying to tell me.

I've looked at alot of maps for turbos and you can see a clear progression bigger and smaller so its gotta be close. Also for the fact I found a cheap turbo and nailed it on its more than close enough.
Thanks given by:
@ 1.5bar your airflow at 4200rpm would be 21.5lb/min.

The main thing that a later generation compressor will do is allow higher pressure ratios.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stage1 to 3? Because stage2 is for pussies..now with pics for added goodness toseland 49 30,436 31-10-2016, 11:00 AM
Last Post: toseland
Heart Dum-Dums Bianca GTi6 Dum-Dum 516 352,504 30-08-2014, 08:54 PM
Last Post: Dum-Dum
  The 2.1TD Bianca Sedan - Dum-Dums Project Cheap Dum-Dum 330 156,027 21-01-2013, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Dum-Dum