XUD Inlet manifold studs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XUD Inlet manifold studs
Right whats the deal with these, am i right in thinking they came on some xuds before or after they started using allen bolts? Or is it dependent on what car the engine was going into? Or do i just buy a set of stud and nuts of ebay in the right size?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
I think it was the earlier ones that had allen bolts, might be wrong though, mine was studs but when the turbo went i got some allen bolts out of a scrap xud, much less hassle than the studs Smile
Blaze '6 and Blaze D-turbo!
Thanks given by:
I dont care about hassle, i want studs so my heavy hands can barry up the inlet manifold lol!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
No doubt someone on here will have some, or any scrap yard most likely Smile
Blaze '6 and Blaze D-turbo!
Thanks given by:
Mine has studs and nuts, engine is from a 1999 DT so maybe it was the earlier ones that had allen bolts?
Thanks given by:
Dont suppose you know what size they are? Might just buy a big bar and some nuts and cut them down myself. I think they are 1.25 thread pitch but not sure on width, i'd guess 6 or 8, they're not like the exhaust manifold studs :/

(21-07-2013, 11:45 AM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: Mine has studs and nuts, engine is from a 1999 DT so maybe it was the earlier ones that had allen bolts?

Mines a 96 D8A block and i got allen bolts lol :/
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
13mm nuts, so M8?

Also, exhaust nuts, I think, are copper.
Thanks given by:
So M8x1.25 is the first guess! Anyone confirm that?

I dont think they copper, i always thought copper was really soft? Surely you'd tear the threads out if you put any kind of force into it?
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Measured one of my bolts and i think they are an M8x1 or an M8 Fine thread whichever you want to call it. Its alot harder to find M8x1 stud than it is to find M8x1.25!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
M8*1.25 is fine thread? Normal M8 would be 1.5
Thanks given by:
Thats what i thought but it seems there an even finer thread lol!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Anyone definately know what size they are? Really want to order some studs asap!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
I might have missed it further up by why do u want studs over bolts?
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Im heavy handed and like to do them tight, not to mention im going to run some big boost so i want studs that i can tighten up more.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Fair enough.
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(21-07-2013, 06:56 PM)Tom Wrote: Im heavy handed and like to do them tight, not to mention im going to run some big boost so i want studs that i can tighten up more.

this, you can torque down studs properly while bolts can pull the thread out of the aluminium head if you do them up too tight. studs are ftmfw
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Right I need to get a tap ordered up so can I have some confirmation please!? Thanks.
Thanks given by:
8x1.25 mate.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Tom.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, the *early* engines came with allen bolts, but you'll end up destroying the cylinder head when you do them up, it's the action of it tightening and twisting on the aluminium threads, it'll just pull the threads out the head and you're left with a f*cked head.

Just use studs and nuts.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Exhaust and inlet manifold spacers and studs andyyy 1 1,121 15-03-2015, 01:51 AM
Last Post: zx_volcane
  inlet mani studs philpemberton94 9 1,865 13-08-2014, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Dave
  Inlet Manifold Gasket ally406 6 2,107 11-11-2013, 10:37 AM
Last Post: ally406