dturbo boost problem

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dturbo boost problem
hi everyone, my bosch dturbo was tuned with what i presume is a stage 1 pump and turbo tune before i bought it, it normally boosts to 18psi.

around a week ago it started to drop to 15psi, then 12psi, now it is only making around 7psi and there is a loud whoosing noise i can hear from the cabin whilst driving. if i rev the car in neutral with no load on the engine it doesn't seem to make this noise.

i've taken the tmic off and this and the top rubber pipes look fine. when i look at the turbo from beneath the car it looks quite oily.

so on one hand i was thinking the whoosh sound suggested a pipe might be leaking, but then on the other the oily turbo suggests it's the turbo seals that have let go? would the latter still produce this noise?

i've tried to take a photo of the turbo but it's not great, is anyone able to identify what type of turbo i have here and from the amount of oil on it whether it is more likely the turbo itself, or whether it is more likely a split boost pipe hiding from me?

also if it is the turbo i'd like to replace it with a bigger one to give more power but on the tightest of budgets - are there any options that can utilise the standard manifold, oil lines, exhaust etc and be picked up cheaply on ebay or forums?

thanyou, and apologies for the long essay post!

[Image: 306dturboleak.JPG]
Thanks given by:
thats a garrett t2.

sounds like either boost leak or turbo.

does it smoke heavily when you accelerate?

you be surprised how much more power you can get from a standard turbo with a modded pump
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
yes quite a lot of black smoke when i accelerate now, which didn't use to happen before this problem.

i think the pump has been modified a fair bit already but i am no expert so not sure specifically what has been done.
Thanks given by:
Sounds like boost leak.

Normally the turbo would whistle heavily if dead.

Try the 'D' seal between the top intercooler and intake manifold....very common. other than that there is only the one pipe!

oil leak probably the cam cover seal....look above the turbo and see if its starts higher up!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
i replaced the d-seal only a few months ago when i last took the intercooler off so i am confident that should still be good.

there is definitely a very loud whistling sound when it is trying to boost, that's what i meant when i said "whoosh" noise in my first post but really it is more of a whistle.

thank you for your help, i think i will have to take it to a garage for them to check the turbo as i can't see any where that it could be leaking boost from Sad
Thanks given by:
well it's a boost leak or your turbo is fcuked . . .one of the two . .lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Check the top pipe is seated on the turbo properly and spray something flammable around the inlet manifold and see if it revs up that will find your leak.

Also i would like to point out your turbo is f*cking lagged in oil, doesnt look like a small leak really, check your oil level and keep an eye on it, and see if you can find where it coming from.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
that oil covering covering turbo could be from that boost pipe being on badly!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Yes good shout ^^

Definately check the end of the pipe that clamps to the turbo, but if that much oil has came out since it started leaking, theres a good chance your turbo isnt healthy :/
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
looks to me like the oil is coming out the boot around the waste gate arm :S

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
thanks for all the help chaps. i've taken the car off the road for a bit until i can sort a replacement turbo. currently driving a clio 172 which i thought i might enjoy more but i bloody hate the thing, motivating me to get the 306 fixed anyway ha
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dturbo smoke on boost that bad? daveylennon93 4 1,347 14-04-2014, 12:32 AM
Last Post: daveylennon93
  k14 boost problem jpderv 4 1,986 22-02-2013, 03:37 PM
Last Post: Dicky
  lucas boost compensator problem parrotveasey81 4 1,572 12-01-2013, 02:56 PM
Last Post: parrotveasey81