Broadband?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broadband?
(06-07-2013, 10:22 PM)fuziduck Wrote: Yay I win at something... having the slowest shittiest connection about Sad

Any suggestions...

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2820353790

Edit:

Another go
[Image: 2820359249.png]
Not much better though

WTAF!?!?!

Im assuming your on a copper connection and not fibre?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
He might be on the old 2Mb Tracker broadband, the poor people old deal we do for OAP's. Or with Virgin National, in which case ADSL.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
My download speed was 0.2 mb/s a year ago. Used to drive me up the wall.
Now we get our Internet through some special company for people in the sticks.
Get about 5mb/s now Smile
Thanks given by:
[Image: 2820809229.png]

Much better than sky broadband!!
Thanks given by:
holy crap....

Im on 2/3mb if Im lucky!!

And I live round corner from the PM....what the hell??

PS did I miss a huge tantrum from Puggy again?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Me and scott are plumbing tera-bit internet into his house next month Smile
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
<3 If you do that you will always be my mate, and you will always be my fellow dj!
Thanks given by:
Im your fellow Deejayh anyway! You user!

What happened to that metrosexual mix session of massive meaningful mixes we did the other day? Did that mean nothing?!

And why havent you left yet? You are supposed to be here in 33 minutes. Approximately. Wink

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Challenge accepted!
Thanks given by:
(07-07-2013, 06:24 AM)cpikey316_ Wrote: [Image: 2820809229.png]

Much better than sky broadband!!

What is wrong with your upload speed?

Im with BT on fibre, get about 65mb download and a steady 28mb upload?
Thanks given by:
Mines go a lot quicker in the last year or so. But the upload is terrible for some reason!

[Image: 2820926627.png]
Thanks given by:
No clue Eskiiboi! Virgin uploads are always poo though, my dad has been using them for ever.

No BT fibre optic available here unfortunately Sad

Ooooh I lie! Now it is!

47.8 Down and 10.9 up are the speeds the bt site just quoted me

Sky TV all in £66 a month!Only 10 months of this virgin contract to go......
Thanks given by:
You all think you got a bad deal with internet this is sky unlimited internet
Test Date: Jul 7, 2013 9:31:47 am
Connection Type: Wifi
Server: Newbury
Download: 1.68 Mbps
Upload: 0.56 Mbps
Ping: 78 ms

External IP: 2.122
Internal IP: 192
Latitude: 51.28748
Longitude: -1.06057

A detailed image for this result can be found here:

http://www.speedtest.net/android/507337045.png
(msg sent from hell)

If i dont c ya threw week ill c ya threw window.
Thanks given by:
You most likely have a line fault or live a million miles from the exchange.
Team - Inappropriate Footwear. Member 1 of 3.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)
3. Fooby's Company Pool Car

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
(07-07-2013, 08:55 AM)Fooby Wrote: You most likely have a line fault or live a million miles from the exchange.

No fault mate the interchange box is right outside my hoise lol.. my area apparently gest a max of 2mb.....cant get virgin here either the council wont allow em to rip the road up....
(msg sent from hell)

If i dont c ya threw week ill c ya threw window.
Thanks given by:
[Image: 0FF46D02-9125-4C02-9FFA-44960BE187DF-337...6E20AA.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(07-07-2013, 10:59 AM)Stephen Wrote: [Image: 0FF46D02-9125-4C02-9FFA-44960BE187DF-337...6E20AA.jpg]
Look at your ping lmfao
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
(07-07-2013, 09:11 AM)pugjohn306 Wrote:
(07-07-2013, 08:55 AM)Fooby Wrote: You most likely have a line fault or live a million miles from the exchange.

No fault mate the interchange box is right outside my hoise lol.. my area apparently gest a max of 2mb.....cant get virgin here either the council wont allow em to rip the road up....

The cabinet distance to house (box next to the road) will not have a bearing on your internet. in 95% of cases, there is copper coming from this cabinet to the premises. There is a much lower loss of data per km over copper than fibrer. But then fiber can carry more data in the first place so read what you want from that. It is a myth that being a long way from the cabinet will reduce your internet speeds. The exchange can handle steady fiber speeds up to 15km of fiber laid, meaning that anything after 15km you will notice a db loss that effects your internet speeds, not before this. In most cases there is an exchange within 15km of the premises, unless you live out in the sticks of course.

/geek

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
(07-07-2013, 09:07 PM)Grant Wrote:
(07-07-2013, 09:11 AM)pugjohn306 Wrote:

The cabinet distance to house (box next to the road) will not have a bearing on your internet. in 95% of cases, there is copper coming from this cabinet to the premises. There is a much lower loss of data per km over copper than fibrer. But then fiber can carry more data in the first place so read what you want from that. It is a myth that being a long way from the cabinet will reduce your internet speeds. The exchange can handle steady fiber speeds up to 15km of fiber laid, meaning that anything after 15km you will notice a db loss that effects your internet speeds, not before this. In most cases there is an exchange within 15km of the premises, unless you live out in the sticks of course.

/geek

That is true, but when talking about most people who have poor internet speeds, its mostly because they are a 100% copper line.

So if you are far from the exchange it will be slow. Obviously the better quality copper you have, the better speed over distance you will get.

Best way to check how far/what speed you can get is to check your Downstream Attenuation DB on your router. This number, when added into www.kitz.co.uk will give you an estimated download speed.
Team - Inappropriate Footwear. Member 1 of 3.

1. Fooby's Car
2. Fooby's Hire Car(s)
3. Fooby's Company Pool Car

Team Self Improvement
1. Learn to Car
Thanks given by:
[Image: 2823949557.png]

Not bad for done on my wireless laptop from upstairs of the router Smile
Thanks given by:
(08-07-2013, 07:56 PM)Fooby Wrote: So if you are far from the exchange it will be slow. Obviously the better quality copper you have, the better speed over distance you will get

Bearing in mind that about 40% of the copper network in the UK is up to and over 120 years old, and a vast majority of this is interlinking exchanges I shouldn't pin too much on that fact. Granted a damaged cable will reduce/remove internet performance, but most cable damage is due to excavations, which is fixed there and then. You seldom see cables corrode as they are either grease filled, or have compressed air run through them for this purpose Smile

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Eh Grant, you missed the part where fibre optic signals can be amplified with a much lower impact on SNR too, whereas copper is susceptible to ingress/egress of electromagnetism and radio waves. Fibre can be amplified easily with the inclusion of inline nodes and tbh, attenuation isn't much of a problem in fibre, there are whacking great fibre cables running between continents along the ocean floors and they have no issues with hundreds if not thousands of miles between headends.

TBH the gauge of copper wiring used in a lot of local loops is tiny which is why ADSL will never support more than 20-30Mbps, it's just not worth it as the wiring at the end user is useless, a lot of BT wiring in houses isn't even copper three-pair. You could do as much upgrading of the network as you want and have RG59 or above from the house to the exchange, but as long as there's shitty telco wiring in the house it will bottleneck.

Also bear in mind it's a transmission of voltage using the line, if there's any break in insulation you will earth either partially to the atmosphere or fully to the ground. Even bare cable at any exposed point can cause packet loss.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(08-07-2013, 08:55 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: Eh Grant, you missed the part where fibre optic signals can be amplified with a much lower impact on SNR too, whereas copper is susceptible to ingress/egress of electromagnetism and radio waves. Fibre can be amplified easily with the inclusion of inline nodes and tbh, attenuation isn't much of a problem in fibre, there are whacking great fibre cables running between continents along the ocean floors and they have no issues with hundreds if not thousands of miles between headends.

TBH the gauge of copper wiring used in a lot of local loops is tiny which is why ADSL will never support more than 20-30Mbps, it's just not worth it as the wiring at the end user is useless, a lot of BT wiring in houses isn't even copper three-pair. You could do as much upgrading of the network as you want and have RG59 or above from the house to the exchange, but as long as there's shitty telco wiring in the house it will bottleneck.

Also bear in mind it's a transmission of voltage using the line, if there's any break in insulation you will earth either partially to the atmosphere or fully to the ground. Even bare cable at any exposed point can cause packet loss.

Very valid points, none of which I am disagreeing with you on.

I assume you work for Sky? As I have never seen a node with a signal amplifier in or repeaters to that fact. All of these are contained at the exchange. Thus bringing us back round to distances from the exchange. But other companies may run this differently. If so BT should probably up their game lol The only signal interfering node we use are splitter nodes. And then that's only traffic management, nothing to do with speeds or dB losses.

Out of curiosity, are you also referring to the Japan-England FLAG optic cable?

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Broadband Deals? Toms306 10 3,584 20-11-2018, 09:25 AM
Last Post: Eeyore
  Broadband shopping about lolsteve 13 2,017 08-01-2016, 08:35 AM
Last Post: toseland