Black Paint...Talk to me...Re-Spray

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black Paint...Talk to me...Re-Spray
Ok this might sound a little weird, but this subject is driving me insane!

Im looking into possibly re painting my car (well paying a pro to, would never get it good enough myself). Have decided to keep it black, as I love black, and the black ph1 needs to remain a black ph1, because, well just because!

The problem comes when deciding "what black" the simple option is simply respraying it POXY pug black....but this is kinda the boring / easy option, which is no problem if that will look the best, but im thinking there must be a "better" black so to say out there..

Went to a show last week with all the big car brands etc there, and had good look at new cars, was a volvo with a very nice black paint job, and a vw transporter...

I think im into the really deep glossy kinda black, not sure if it was paint with a pearl in it or what, this is what I need advice on really...WHAT is the best black in your opinion? And will paint from say a bmw, cost alot more in paint than say original pug paint?

Any advice used, as I really know nothing here...just want the farmer car full of dents to have no dents and some paint!

Cheers x
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
/Srowell
Thanks given by:
I would assume that paint shops will use one supplier of paint and have it mixed to match whatever colour your car is.

They will prob work with one brand as they will be comfortable and used to how it sprays, flashes off ..etc ..etc

Also I guess some shops might not be using 2K anymore, which is ideally what you want for a decent ultra high gloss finish.

As with all paint work its going to be mainly down to them putting in enough decent prep work, so hopefully you can check out some of their previous work before going on board with anyone.

This is all off the top of my head mind, so await any body shop people to jump in and correct.
Thanks given by:
IMO, just go for a high gloss black. Polish the tits off it and it will look the nuts. Or you could go for a pearlesent but that will be a lot more expensive. Dont forget, flat colours will be much cheaper!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I have always liked Ford panther black.
GT2052s DTurbo
OEM+ HDI Estate
Project thread
Thanks given by:
Ford metalic black. its epic. has blue fleck in it.

its on mk6 festas...awesome when polished in the sun.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Mercedes obsidian black metallic
Thanks given by:
(12-06-2013, 05:24 PM)Ricky Wrote: I have always liked Ford panther black.

Thats what i was going to suggest, it does have some kind of fleck in it.
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Its often the prep that lets black down. onyx black can come up extremly well if its painted correctly as in no orange peel and the paint is flat as possible. with shit loads of sealant and good paste wax there no reason why it wont keep a wet look appearance

This is just a paste wax doing all the work
[Image: DSCN1375_zps58b94662.jpg]

corected paint no orange peel
[Image: SAM_1005.jpg]

Heavily corrected 10 Y/O Factory Paint
[Image: DSCF1323-1.jpg]
Perv 106 1.4 xs First Pug Love - Scrapped
Perv 306 1.6 5 Door Hore - Sold
110bhp 207 Hdi Sport - Used as a Brake
173bhp T25 Ph1 Diablo Dturbo - Scrapped
Thirsty Bitch Volvo 850 Estate - Sold
51bhp Berlingo Nad DT Van - Sold
Slow as f*ck Dispatch Work Horse

www.prestige-auto-care.co.uk
Thanks given by:
I go nuts when I see top end bmws n mercs etc with horrific orange peel.

if that was my new car, I be straight back to the dealers demanding the paint job be finished!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Id Just go for the ONYX black and have the effort put into the finish rather than what paint.

Also matalic black wouldnt suite a ph1 IMO

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Mine was ford panther. Looked epic before it started falling off because of the terrible paint job it had!
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Satin black?? Spotted a R8 v10 in the carpark yesterday....satin black...looked epic
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:

i see no option for black!
Thanks given by:
One of the big brands does a really nice pearlecent black that i liked a few years ago but i forgot who.

wasnt really alot of point in me posting that i suppose.
Thanks given by:
(12-06-2013, 07:01 PM)cully Wrote: i see no option for black!

John deer green & yellow would be epic fo darrens car just because its built in a cattle shed lmao

Thanks given by:
I did consider painting it green, I have have a photoshop of it, but I dont think i could really pull it off tbh lol, and id miss the black! If it was a track car, it would get done for sure!

[Image: jdgreentd.jpg]
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Haha looks epic couple of JD badges and that would be full of win. You could pull it off with your discription board. But blaxk.does look better...

Thanks given by:
don't know much about paint colours, but my onyx looked sick when it was clean and shiny.

My mate always goes a place newquay way, his paint always makes mine look shit, and not bad prices apparently.

can't remember the name now but they run a drift car in championships, may narrow it down, will let you know when I remember
[Image: signiture.jpg]
Midnightclub Wrote:All the cool kids have ph 2 Nile 6's!
Thanks given by:
You know my opinion already - Volvo Black Sapphire Metallic..

Or Volvo Sonic Blue..

[Image: sonicBlue_06.jpg]

Or Volvo Ocean Race Blue..

[Image: 003__scaled_600.jpg]

Dunno what it is about Volvo blues...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Quote:Or Volvo Ocean Race Blue..

+1 Big Grin

though i know you'll want to keep the colour similar so just go for a good quality black.

so perhaps maybe the sigma could go an awesome shade of blue? might as well book that one in too Wink
Thanks given by:
Its gotta be black, if its not black it might as well be green, but have decided i wanna keep it black, so thats the only options really
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Green!!!! Do it! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Panther black Big Grin
MG ZR TD+ - gone and easily forgotten
Fabia vRS PD130 - New daily
Astra H VXR - new toy!
Thanks given by:
If u want something special but not to over the top mate go for volkswagen magic black with a hologram black flake init, sprayed my mates Mk2 golf in it and in normally light you can't see the flake but wen the sun hits it it'll look absolutely stunning, was goin to spray mine that colour but iv been converted to a vag petrol again (facepalm!!) lol
Thanks given by:
(13-06-2013, 05:00 PM)Choppin Wrote: iv been converted to a vag petrol again (facepalm!!) lol

That should be worth an instant ban!

Thanks given by:
It is 190bhp!!! But that's no excuse :,( lol

Oh and yes black paint is all about prep work, black will show any imperfection up like a bitch!!! And I still use 2k paint, love the shine you can get with it!! Lol
Thanks given by:
just dont take alfa romeo as inspiration, woman at work has one of those new alfa guilietta things in black and has the worst orange peel ive yet to see on a car that hast been resprayed.

id say keep it onyx, just spend the money getting it spot on
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Is onyx the same as poxy?
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
(14-06-2013, 07:07 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Is onyx the same as poxy?

Slightly different shade. Just like there's bout 50 shades of Diablo
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  setting up spray booth at home bashbarnard 6 1,520 28-07-2016, 07:33 AM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  Tool Box Talk cully 22 5,447 26-07-2016, 09:44 AM
Last Post: Frosty
  Colleagues stolen laptop, IP trace (talk talk isp) stevieg 11 2,617 05-12-2015, 12:22 AM
Last Post: stevieg