Buying a 6

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying a 6
(04-06-2013, 08:29 PM)puglove Wrote:
(04-06-2013, 06:12 PM)Niall Wrote: Think the problem is, a lot of the derv lot here always slate the gti for being slow but in reality, its still quite a quick car. A tuned derv (excluding the likes of mental darren projects) feels quick but in reality they arent. Granted, speed doesnt really matter. As long as it feels quick, it should be good fun which is the main thing.

Well said ThumbsUp

Well agreed. Speed limit is 70mph so what use is a cat that suits 140mph. Rather have a car that gets to 70mph quick
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(04-06-2013, 06:12 PM)Niall Wrote: Think the problem is, a lot of the derv lot here always slate the gti for being slow but in reality, its still quite a quick car. A tuned derv (excluding the likes of mental darren projects) feels quick but in reality they arent. Granted, speed doesnt really matter. As long as it feels quick, it should be good fun which is the main thing.

Kinda disagree there, a gov modded big turbo'd XUD will be quicker than a GTi in a real life situation. Straight line drag race yes the GTi will outpull the XUD.. eventually.

The ability to overtake without dropping a cog shows how quick well tuned diesels are. GTi's I always felt I needed to drop a gear and rev it.

In fact any diesel 306 that's running 150+bhp will give a GTi a run for its money, and that's not really hard to achieve any more. Strap on a bigger blower and i'm sorry to say it, but the GTi looks very ordinary indeed.
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I can keep with a gti til 110 then i let off because, well, i wanted my engine to stay in one piece. #chav Private road that i live on...
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Comparing a tuned car to a standard car as usual is always unfair, if you cammed a 6 or supercharged/turbocharged it it would munch a dt big blower or not.. albeit yes, it would cost more to modify the 6 to that level but then again, past big blowers on a dt that's pretty much it unless you plan on sinking major money into the lump which lets be honest defeats the entire purpose of the dt engine cheap and plentiful.
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
you can never compare a petrol and blown derv with their power delivery. the two are completely different. Ive raced DTs that are apparently at 150ish bhp and im sorry to say it but i walked all over it. yes we were level pegging until about 40 but then the gti pulled ahead and left it.
Ive driven dervs before and thought they feel rapid but in reality they just feel it. Ask Ed about the Tiguan Sport i had as a hire car. That felt like it picked up speed really well. would expect it to for a 155bhp derv but Eds 6 destroyed it off the lights.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Then there's also the fact that if you want a dt to be as quick as a standard 6 then you can pretty much guarantee it will at some point spill it's internals all over the road..
Thanks given by:
(04-06-2013, 10:35 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: Then there's also the fact that if you want a dt to be as quick as a standard 6 then you can pretty much guarantee it will at some point spill it's internals all over the road..

True. one thing you cant deny about the gti engine is its bloody strong!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(04-06-2013, 10:30 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: Comparing a tuned car to a standard car as usual is always unfair, if you cammed a 6 or supercharged/turbocharged it it would munch a dt big blower or not.. albeit yes, it would cost more to modify the 6 to that level but then again, past big blowers on a dt that's pretty much it unless you plan on sinking major money into the lump which lets be honest defeats the entire purpose of the dt engine cheap and plentiful.

True, but when you can build your own 170bhp+ beast for under £1k including the car, in fact even 190bhp if you went balls out and picked up a cheap donor pump, you really can start comparing them. A GTi plus £400 for cams plus fitting and mapping gets expensive VERY quickly. And even then you'll have near 190bhp, you may need pocketed pistons unless you have a very mild lift or run the cams retarded, you may need a decomp plate to help with clearance, and your engine will be asthmatic unless you rev the crap out of it.

GTi6 - i dunno, £1k-£1.5k for a decent one these days?
Cams - PT81's, PeterT reprofiled cams - £400ish
Pocketed pistons - £3-400
Mapping - Another £3-400, or you could go standalone for ease of mapping but add another £400 for the ECU

You could be talking £3k all in just for that, and you'd be barely any faster "real world" than a sub £1k XUD. Maybe you stick with the MM 1AP ECU and get someone like RichW to map it, and you run your cams retarded so you have no clearance issues. 185bhp if you're lucky? And still £1800 unless you buy a turd of a GTi in the first place.

Smiles per gallon is a myth too. I get smiles AND mpg.

Don't get me wrong, GTi's have their place as an out of the box bit of fun. But the lack of any easy or cheap power mods makes them boring for 90% of GTi owners without the money to get some decent power out of them.

And Niall, there's quite a few diesels running 6 seconds 30-70 or less, a GTi would NOT do that. Fact. Whichever way you want to argue it, a 3rd gear pull - diesel would win. Let the GTi use more than one gear? Factor in gearchange times etc, i'd still put money on the diesel.

I did own one once upon a time, remember?
Thanks given by:
Think ill take my reliable thirsty 6 that still eats 150 bhp 'gti destroying' XUDs thanks lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(04-06-2013, 10:44 PM)Niall Wrote: Think ill take my reliable thirsty 6 that still eats 150 bhp 'gti destroying' XUDs thanks lol

You should look for some reading lessons when you're out and about in it too. Noone said any XUD's were GTi destroying. GTi humbling, yes.

Learn to internet, sir.
Thanks given by:
not in this particular thread no but that is mostly what you get on this forum

"my lucas DT with a bit of max fuel destroys 350z's so imagine what it does to gtis!"
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
[Image: backpedal.jpg]

Yeah yeah..
Thanks given by:
You talk about 6's like diy mods are impossible Chris lol, yes you could spend all that doe.. but you could build your own charger setup fairly easily and okay appart from mapping (unless you learn to do that yourself too...) Then that will be fairly expensive but a charged 6 even low boost would still be faster.. and as niall says, they're fairly reliable unless your name is Matt Tongue
Thanks given by:
your all missing the point!

its not that a 6 is fast or it handles like a Kart

the point is

NOISE you dont get the same Bwarp from a blown diesel
Thanks given by:
(04-06-2013, 10:58 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: You talk about 6's like diy mods are impossible Chris lol, yes you could spend all that doe.. but you could build your own charger setup fairly easily and okay appart from mapping (unless you learn to do that yourself too...) Then that will be fairly expensive but a charged 6 even low boost would still be faster.. and as niall says, they're fairly reliable unless your name is Matt Tongue

Exactly. And Chris you say it can cost 3k to cam a 6. Well you can supercharge one for half of that and have easily over 200bhp. When you consider what some derv guys spend to get to over 200bhp, it's probably the same if not more!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
My penis is massive

Do what I'm springing callum, break !
Thanks given by:
(05-06-2013, 07:14 AM)Just Sean Wrote: My penis is massive

Not what you told me!
[Image: y7aduser.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(04-06-2013, 01:43 PM)Midnightclub Wrote:
(04-06-2013, 12:42 PM)callumcull Wrote: Legends, thanks guys Smile

Hopefully I'll enjoy this 6 as much as I now enjoy driving a stage 2 HDi!

Your only regret will be the fuel bill haha

Haha this made me laugh.... Roughly about 5miles to every £2 spent. Not the most economical car but brilliant fun and I'm sure you'll love every minute of it (when it's not in the garage) lol
Thanks given by:
Yeah.. They aren't amazing lol I usually get about 40 miles to £10, managed to get 50 miles to £20 before though.. that was a fun day Tongue
Thanks given by:
(05-06-2013, 09:05 AM)Midnightclub Wrote: Yeah.. They aren't amazing lol I usually get about 40 miles to £10, managed to get 50 miles to £20 before though.. that was a fun day Tongue

Hahaha that does sound like a fun day!
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
(04-06-2013, 05:23 PM)cully Wrote: get one of each Big Grin
hdi st1 daily 46mpg
Gti6 weekend toy 1,000,000 Smiles per gallon

Smiles per gallon over mpg all day long for me Smile
Thanks given by:
(05-06-2013, 09:13 AM)Tom Wrote:
(05-06-2013, 09:05 AM)Midnightclub Wrote: Yeah.. They aren't amazing lol I usually get about 40 miles to £10, managed to get 50 miles to £20 before though.. that was a fun day Tongue

Indeed... think it worked out as 15mpg or something lol! But yes, SPG over MPG ANY day haha
Thanks given by:
(05-06-2013, 09:25 AM)Midnightclub Wrote:
(05-06-2013, 09:13 AM)Tom Wrote:

Indeed... think it worked out as 15mpg or something lol! But yes, SPG over MPG ANY day haha
You get smiles from a tuned diesel...
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
you also get that tractory noise and loads of black smoke too lol
Thanks given by:
Added bonus :-) lol
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah.. if you like that sort of thing
Thanks given by:
At Niall and spellowe; each have their benefits. XUD's you can build to your taste but I'd like to see a derv which can keep with a GTI comfortably.
Max's stripped 205 with a k04 I wouldn't say pulls away from a GTI, it puts up a good fight, but the GTI just keeps going.

But then a derv has a helllll of a lot more torque and from a 30-60 could have the upper hand.

As a driver/passenger of both, I'd be split as to what I'd prioritise
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Exactly it's all dependant on what you want from your car. It's unfair to compare both on 30-70 as the power delivery is completely different but in a straight drag, a standard 6 would be faster than a lot of the dervs on here. But as I said, a TD engine "feels" a lot quicker than it actually is. There have been times in the gti where I have looked down to discover I'm actually going a lot faster than I thought because you don't notice it.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(05-06-2013, 07:21 AM)vlj Wrote:
(05-06-2013, 07:14 AM)Just Sean Wrote: My penis is massive

Not what you told me!
[Image: y7aduser.jpg]

Hahaha! Hero!
Thanks given by:
The dervs biggest problem are the gearboxes IMO, the ratios just AREN'T built for speed/racing.. On a '6 box if you rag it to redline it puts you right back in the perfect place after each gear change
Thanks given by: