Buying a 6

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buying a 6
(05-06-2013, 04:50 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: The dervs biggest problem are the gearboxes IMO, the ratios just AREN'T built for speed/racing.. On a '6 box if you rag it to redline it puts you right back in the perfect place after each gear change

Right, but if you set up your pump and blower well you MAKE the XUD box work.

And Niall how can you consistently charge a gti6 for £1500? A second hand kit goes for more than that these days. And if you source the parts yourself and do it you'd be lucky to get it all done including mapping for that.

I think a lot of you need to learn to read though. I'm also an owner of both cars and i've put forward a VERY balanced argument. It's funny how it's the GTi owners that get all fussy when a tuned diesel is mentioned though, it's like when you buy one part of the sale is a clause that makes you a 7krpm elitist...
[Image: signature_zps1a02ba79.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(05-06-2013, 09:18 PM)cwspellowe Wrote:
(05-06-2013, 04:50 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: The dervs biggest problem are the gearboxes IMO, the ratios just AREN'T built for speed/racing.. On a '6 box if you rag it to redline it puts you right back in the perfect place after each gear change

And Niall how can you consistently charge a gti6 for £1500? A second hand kit goes for more than that these days. And if you source the parts yourself and do it you'd be lucky to get it all done including mapping for that.

I think a lot of you need to learn to read though. I'm also an owner of both cars and i've put forward a VERY balanced argument. It's funny how it's the GTi owners that get all fussy when a tuned diesel is mentioned though, it's like when you buy one part of the sale is a clause that makes you a 7krpm elitist...

Funnily enough i thought the same until i spoke to a guy who has charged his 205 with a 6 engine for £1500. Its a proper home brew job but it works well, sounds epic and isnt a bodge like the lynx kit. Certainly a route im considering!

Also, i think you need to learn to read. The original point was that GTIs are faster than most of your run of the mill DTs on this forum. I will happily admit you put them together in a 30-70 the DT will win because its all down to power delivery. Diesels generally deliver their power low down the rev range is quite a small burst. The gti doesnt get properly moving till 5k so you really do have to work it hard. There are pros and cons to both.....not that i see what relevance this has to this thread anyway!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(05-06-2013, 09:30 PM)Niall Wrote:
(05-06-2013, 09:18 PM)cwspellowe Wrote:

Funnily enough i thought the same until i spoke to a guy who has charged his 205 with a 6 engine for £1500. Its a proper home brew job but it works well, sounds epic and isnt a bodge like the lynx kit. Certainly a route im considering!

Also, i think you need to learn to read. The original point was that GTIs are faster than most of your run of the mill DTs on this forum. I will happily admit you put them together in a 30-70 the DT will win because its all down to power delivery. Diesels generally deliver their power low down the rev range is quite a small burst. The gti doesnt get properly moving till 5k so you really do have to work it hard. There are pros and cons to both.....not that i see what relevance this has to this thread anyway!

I never disputed that point. What i DID say though is that even a stage 1 derv can make a GTi6 feel very modest. Not that the derv would be quicker than the GTi, but quick enough to make you wonder why you'd want a GTi.
Thanks given by:
Sorry but i disagree with that. As i said, I've raced several stage 1 dervs and ive walked all over them. Put up a good fight up until 40ish but wernt to be seen after that so either they were broken or i just have an exceptionally fast gti and im doubtful of the second because if anything, i think its the opposite!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
You're entitled to an opinion Niall. It's wrong, but it's yours, and that's what makes you special.
Thanks given by:
Niall let me know when you are free.

At the end of the day everyone is going to defend their CURRENT car. But the fact is people can strap on a £100 turbo to a DT and it WILL be quicker than a GTI6 up until 100ish maybe more. The best part is that i am now doing 6mpg more after doing this. (48-54)
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
(05-06-2013, 09:18 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: It's funny how it's the GTi owners that get all fussy when a tuned diesel is mentioned though, it's like when you buy one part of the sale is a clause that makes you a 7krpm elitist...

(05-06-2013, 09:41 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: You're entitled to an opinion Niall. It's wrong, but it's yours, and that's what makes you special.

Hmmm pot kettle black much?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(05-06-2013, 09:46 PM)Niall Wrote:
(05-06-2013, 09:18 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: It's funny how it's the GTi owners that get all fussy when a tuned diesel is mentioned though, it's like when you buy one part of the sale is a clause that makes you a 7krpm elitist...

(05-06-2013, 09:41 PM)cwspellowe Wrote: You're entitled to an opinion Niall. It's wrong, but it's yours, and that's what makes you special.

Hmmm pot kettle black much?

How so? your argument would be valid if I said XUD's were quicker than GTi's. You seem to be arguing a point that was never made.
Thanks given by:
How so? Well your the one saying gti owners get all fussy....your the one getting worked up because in my experience, all the 306 dervs ive raced (HDI and DT) have been noticeably slower. Does that hurt your feelings that that happened? Or maybe your just a but bitter that your car could be quicker than a standard 6 but that would require your turbo to be intact for more than a few seconds??

(sorry...had to go there Big Grin)
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I'm just uploading a video of a real world situation. Germany. Me vs Tom (rocker). Stage 2 HDi with a f*cked MAF, lose power at 3k. Tapping Gti. So we're both struggling with some slight power losses Big Grin BUT watch the video when I upload it, it's fair to say we're pretty even. I'd be interested to be in the same situation with a working MAF so I can has revs Big Grin

Oh god, youtube is taking forever...
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(05-06-2013, 09:57 PM)Niall Wrote: How so? Well your the one saying gti owners get all fussy....your the one getting worked up because in my experience, all the 306 dervs ive raced (HDI and DT) have been noticeably slower. Does that hurt your feelings that that happened? Or maybe your just a but bitter that your car could be quicker than a standard 6 but that would require your turbo to be intact for more than a few seconds??

(sorry...had to go there Big Grin)

Not bitter at all, in fact i'm glad i've experienced both so I have a little more authority on the matter Wink

I once raced an M3 in my GTi and it was noticeably slower when I was doing 70 and it was turning off the motorway oblivious to the fact i was there..
Thanks given by:
Ah now taking the childish route because your running out of points to argue?

Well regardless, as ive already said, ill stick with my GTi. May be slower than all these DTs out there but It doesnt shit rods, turbos and pumps for fun so im happy with that bit of reliability.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
What is actually wrong with you? I've been one of the most unbiased contributors on here but you're getting shirty because I highlighted you for the GTi bumder you are?!

To emphasise a point, if you believe your GTi is "slower than all these DT's out there".. you're still wrong...
Thanks given by:
Think you need to learn to internet. There is such a thing as sarcasm. Most can generally pickup on that even on the internet.

Your one of the most unbiased contributors? lol Might want to read the last 2 pages of this before you post that because its by far unbiased.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(05-06-2013, 10:34 PM)Niall Wrote: its by far unbiased.

I'm glad you agree.

Night pickle, hope you don't have nightmares about your cambelt snapping.

PS reusing other peoples verbals in the same postathon? You can do better than that. Learn to internet indeed.
Thanks given by:
(05-06-2013, 10:44 PM)cwspellowe Wrote:
(05-06-2013, 10:34 PM)Niall Wrote: its by far unbiased.

I'm glad you agree.

Night pickle, hope you don't have nightmares about your cambelt snapping.

PS reusing other peoples verbals in the same postathon? You can do better than that. Learn to internet indeed.

Aww has someone still not learnt that sarcasm thing.
Meh cambelt snaps, new engine. Not that it should seeing as its been replaced. Hope the thought of your turbo shitting its self doesnt stress you too much tonight. I know it wont me. Its provided me much entertainment in the past and im sure it will again soon Big Grin
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Put the handbags away ladies
Thanks given by:
This thread needs a

[Image: MichealJacksonPopcorn.gif]
Thanks given by:
All the bullshit aside that's going on in this thread. Everyone should own an GTI at some point just for the sheer brutality that is the GTI. it wont disappoint. this is car is my 4th Peugeot GTI and despide what i have owned in between ive always come back to the GTI
Thanks given by:
Brutality? Explain please.
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
(06-06-2013, 10:15 AM)Anton Wrote: Brutality? Explain please.

it will bite you in the ass hard if you feck with it on the roads
its a real animal that wont be trainned

how many lion tamers have been savaged getting into the lions cage!
Thanks given by:
Lol thanks Cully. Try and put 300lbft down Wink
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
Difference is, a '6 with 300 lb/ft would probably be over 450hp Tongue
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:

2:46 onwards.

Both have their strong points, but it's gotta be the HDi for me!
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
damn that looks like fun.. lol
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by: