Radiator flush and refill antifreeze 306 hdi

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radiator flush and refill antifreeze 306 hdi
Hello on my 306 hdi the temp only goes to 70. So it needs a radiator flush and refill cause I want to add new antifreeze also clean the crap out which I can see in the cap bottle area.

Whats the best and easyest way?

Also how much litre antifreeze is needed?

Anybody got pictures with a guide?

thanks
Thanks given by:
pull the bottom pipe off the rad Big Grin
as for anti freeze, 50/50 is alright for winter
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
What kind of 'crap' is there on the cap?
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Foxy-jim Wrote:What kind of 'crap' is there on the cap?

The radiator just looks like water. You know wen it goes abit brown and needs to be refresed new water and antifreeze.
Thanks given by:
Your hdi only heating up to 70C is a good thing :p Get stuck in traffic for 40min and i'm sure it will get up to 90! Oh noes! When its over 100 you need to start sweating.

Sounds like your coolant is doing the right thing.

Haynes manuals dont cost much and are great for small jobs like these though!
[Image: ocpic2.pg.jpg]
http://www.sanderson-brown.com
MrsMoonstone Wrote:Cats eyes get in the way of the racing line!
Moonstone HDi Phase 3- Scrapped Sad --- 1.6 Phase 2 - Scrapped Sad --- BMW 318is 1993 (Hyperventilates)
Thanks given by:
My car doesn't heat up to 70C im lucky to get 65C, ive heard 80C is the right temp for running on, even in traffic it doesn't heat up.
[Image: 306oc_zpsf2d249a4.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Mines the same fozzy. Probably broken thermostat
Thanks given by:
Isn't it 82 degrees for the running temp?
[Image: Foxy2.jpg]
Thanks given by:
4WayDiablo Wrote:Mines the same fozzy. Probably broken thermostat

Thats what im thinking less than a tenner for the part but just cba to do it in this cold weather
Thanks given by:
Fozzy Wrote:
4WayDiablo Wrote:Mines the same fozzy. Probably broken thermostat

Thats what im thinking less than a tenner for the part but just cba to do it in this cold weather
Ahah we have much in common
Thanks given by:
wouldnt go out buying a thermostat in this weather..wait until it warms up a bit and find out if it not working then! hdi's are cold engines!
[Image: ocpic2.pg.jpg]
http://www.sanderson-brown.com
MrsMoonstone Wrote:Cats eyes get in the way of the racing line!
Moonstone HDi Phase 3- Scrapped Sad --- 1.6 Phase 2 - Scrapped Sad --- BMW 318is 1993 (Hyperventilates)
Thanks given by:
Ive had this problem since august............ what can i say i thought that modding cars instead of fixing problems was a better idea
Thanks given by:
Or put it in some boiling water to test it?
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
But if the engine running cold all the time it will use the choke more meaning more fuel being used?
Thanks given by:
I thought diesels did not have a choke?

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
Thanks given by:
Is there any bleed screws on the system or does it bleed its self through the radiator and expansion bottle?
Thanks given by:
HDi should run at 90°c. If it's any less then you want to look at replacing the thermostat.
Thanks given by:
Bailes1992 Wrote:HDi should run at 90°c. If it's any less then you want to look at replacing the thermostat.

Will the diesel car use more fuel like a petrol engine wen cold?
Thanks given by:
Bailes1992 Wrote:HDi should run at 90°c. If it's any less then you want to look at replacing the thermostat.
i don't believe that for a second! . . .. . .an old XUD9TE runs at 80 but a HDI runs at 90? . .get outta town . . .Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
This is very interesting who really knows the normal running temp of a 306 hdi.

I know 70 cold so thats out of the window right away.
Thanks given by:
Well my 'stat works fine and my car never gets over 80. I think it reached 90 once but it was after sitting for well over 1 hour

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
Thanks given by:
Mattcheese31 Wrote:
i don't believe that for a second! . . .. . .an old XUD9TE runs at 80 but a HDI runs at 90? . .get outta town . . .Big Grin
Most my 406 mileage is on the motorway and it sits happily at 90°c.
Oil sits ~90°c round town and ~110°c on the motorway. Can get the oil upto 130°c when I'm pressing on abit.

They should sit at 90°c.
Thanks given by:
Ive taken the thermostat out and done a test in boiling water nothing happens. Its stuck solid so the thermostat faulty and needs a new one for sure.

Normal running temp more be around 80 then.

The numbers on it

83c
F-9
V-1722/C
Colourstat
France
Thanks given by:
my 1.6 petrol runs at 90 all the time. dont know if this is right or not. fans are knacked.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
ha ha
hdi stat opens at 84c
when running mine reaches this then you can see the temp drop to 79-80 as a running temperature
Thanks given by:
Bailes1992 Wrote:Most my 406 mileage is on the motorway and it sits happily at 90°c.
Oil sits ~90°c round town and ~110°c on the motorway. Can get the oil upto 130°c when I'm pressing on abit.

They should sit at 90°c.
yawn . . . . we've been over this so many times mate . . .no they shouldn't sit at 90 at all, just because yours does doesn't mean it's right . . . . . Confusedhhh:
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
kingy Wrote:my 1.6 petrol runs at 90 all the time. dont know if this is right or not. fans are knacked.
yes that's perfect on a petrol mate . . . . Wink
Thanks given by:
I put a new thermostat in and it runs at 80 when driving around in warm and cold weather after a good drive about. The temp went half way to 90 with the warm weather when parked up. I wasn't sure when do the fan kick in?
Thanks given by:
The fans never kicked in when my ac was out of gas.

I think the gauge showed 100c the once when I was stuck in traffic and the fans didn't kick in.

You're probably best doing the wiring mod and unplugging the ac pump if your ac doesn't work to get the fans to cut in when you hit the ac button.
Thanks given by:
(21-07-2013, 10:07 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: The fans never kicked in when my ac was out of gas.

I think the gauge showed 100c the once when I was stuck in traffic and the fans didn't kick in.

You're probably best doing the wiring mod and unplugging the ac pump if your ac doesn't work to get the fans to cut in when you hit the ac button.

I have disconnected the ac that goes to the motor. Also removed the air con rad and piping to.

I wasn't sure if that would of made a difference.

But running and 90 only half way most cars kick in 1/2 or 3/4 normally the fan?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  change radiator to none hdi radiator Leemus 2 1,477 23-02-2017, 08:47 PM
Last Post: bashbarnard
  Engine flush Iceman299 20 8,485 25-10-2015, 07:17 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  307 Eloys fluid refill Daniel306 13 1,947 07-07-2014, 06:44 AM
Last Post: pro_steve