HDI vs D-Turbo: Which should I buy?

Poll: HDI vs D Turbo
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
HDI
37.04%
10 37.04%
D Turbo
62.96%
17 62.96%
Total 27 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDI vs D-Turbo: Which should I buy?
I've been wondering for a while which of the two would be best for me, I want something faster than my snail 1.4, but not sure which one to go for. The HDI can be tuned with a remap, and will return better MPG etc, but the D Turbo is easier to tune at the pump...

Which would be best?
Thanks given by:
It's a tits or arse question there mate, everyone's gonna have an opinion, and they're mostly all correct in a way.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Yeah, I'm looking to see the different opinions so that I can base my judgment off it before I put the money into it to find out I dont like it.
Thanks given by:
Cba to do this again lol, have fun guys.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Hdi, in china blue...with 3 doors...
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
As of last weekend iv now owned both! so.........................

XUD, Much more fun to drive a good little ragging car feels like it was built to be ragged, feels racy with the shorter gear box and much harsher woosh of boost,

BUT, its loud, it sounds rattly, vibrates alot more and feels alot older,

Hdi, Not as fun to drive, i personaly dont rate the longer gearbox, you dont get that sudden rush of boost, dosnt feel like it likes being ragged as much.

BUT, its nice and quite, feels much much more refined, alot easyier to live with day to day, you dont feel the need to rag it all the time, feels alot newer and modern, amazing to do motorway miles with.

Weigh up what you want IMO that is what it boils down to , other than the tuning aspect. personaly i dont think you can compair them really

so yeah /thread

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
Gti6 /thread

Nah seriously, for cheap modding I'd go xud, easy stage 1 and can run on veg nice and cheap

Hdi, go stage two, its a bit of money to get there, but f*ck me they sound awesome. And can still return 50+mpg
[Image: 20A1806D-891D-40FB-BD52-AD519177A607-734...391753.jpg]
TEAM CONROD SHITTING RALLYE!
Thanks given by:
Agree with above have owned 2 dturbos and 2 hdis the last one is an estate if I was to be honest the best was a 3 dr 2001 hdi in black decatted
Thanks given by:
just search. this is a question that seems to come up every month.
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Think I've come to the conclusion of a D Turbo over an HDI judging by the forums, plus my mate just bought an HDI and says he'd rather have the dturbo again.
Thanks given by:
if i only had 1 car ( assuming you have) id take an xud over a hdi ThumbsUp

Thanks given by:
Bare in mind jamie that your DT was tuned and your HDi isn't lol
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
and my hdi weighs a an extra tone compaired to my XUD

Thanks given by:
thats because this one has a boot on the back lmao
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
but its sooooo epic

Thanks given by:
HDi is more modern, sounds less agricultural than an XUD.

With virtually all 306s now under a grand in value I'd seek out a Y-reg HDi. Phase 3 so has more modern looks, better brake setup and with a simple remap they are entertaining enough down a B-road. Don't expect it to keep up with a modern diesel though! Just revel in the knowledge of what it costs to run.

...peanuts.
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
I have owned a Dturbo and now own a Hdi. I have to say I don't see any cons on either side. the Dturbo was a good car like the Hdi is, so id say test drive the two and see which one you like.
Thanks given by:
(24-04-2013, 11:55 AM)Midnightclub Wrote: Bare in mind jamie that your DT was tuned and your HDi isn't lol

What? You haven't stage 1d it yet Jamie? I never know how anyone can put with with them standard, get the galletto out..... lol
Thanks given by:
As most people have said, its personal preference really. Try and get a run in a mapped Hdi and a decent tuned d-turbo, see which you prefer.

Random question, but you didn't happen to be working in Michelin in Ballymena last year were you?
Gov modded 11mm Bosch + Standard turbo = 137.2bhp . . . . TD04 now in...time to get playing!
Thanks given by:
Dturbo! Currently converting my hdi haha wish I got a DT straight off
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
(24-04-2013, 06:10 PM)declantg Wrote: Dturbo! Currently converting my hdi haha wish I got a DT straight off

You did! Confused

Then for some reason you bought a HDi.... Doh Tongue
Thanks given by:
Haha I know! Miss my old DT, may not have been much but god I loved it.

Hdi seemed the better option, it definitely was not
[Image: 306ocsig_edited-1-1.jpg]

306 HDI, soon to be XUD
Thanks given by:
Even from the base feeling in two standard ones, I preferred the D Turbo. I like something thats a little less 'refined', I'm a little 'agricultural' myself, so want something that really feels like a diesel. Even if it does sound more like a tractor than an HDI. Plus, insurance is cheaper...
Thanks given by:
dturbo. i have a hdi. really want a dturbo phase 1 in black....

hdi is amazing for motorway miles. It was a breeze doing 260 miles to uni in the hdi compared to the 1.8.
Dturbos do seem better for tuning and homebrew mods. As said shorter box and raggability makes it more fun!
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I've really started to make my mind up, I did motorway miles in a 2000 Ford Ka, 3500 within a month and a half, so anythin is better than it. The 1.4 is comfortable for motorway, but I'd like something with a bit more power!

Btw, the Ka was purple. MANLY.
Thanks given by:
Owned both, xud is so much more fun to drive day to day and the hdi is better for motorway mile munching. If you have not had either before go for a dt first!
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
too true xud all the way no electronics to say no
Thanks given by:
(24-04-2013, 04:59 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(24-04-2013, 11:55 AM)Midnightclub Wrote: Bare in mind jamie that your DT was tuned and your HDi isn't lol

What? You haven't stage 1d it yet Jamie? I never know how anyone can put with with them standard, get the galletto out..... lol

My HDi isn't mapped tom, just decatted with a ITG air filter and EGR valve unplugged.
Thanks given by:
Having owned both, I honestly prefer the HDi!
Thanks given by:
It's as simple as this:

- If you enjoy getting your hands dirty then get an XUD.
- If you like clean hands, get a HDi.

/thread
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by: