306 1.8 16v XS- Advice needed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306 1.8 16v XS- Advice needed
Just an update, spoke to ATSPEED this week, the DP Packages are taking months to arrive, so thats out of the window. It turns out the Turbo i was given was off of a 2.0 vectra DTI, so thats about as much use as tits on a fish. If anyone knows otherwise please let me know.

I have my eye on a 2.0 16v engine from a 306 XSI, apparently its a straight swap conversion?. There seems to be very little tuning products for the XU7 engine, and quite alot for the XU10.

The beast is coming off the road next month as the heater matrix has sprung a leak and the ol girls engine has really seen better days now.

Time to start saving the pennies.
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Flying the Flag for the XU10J2TE

You Tube: 832 Performance
Thanks given by:
If you're going for a swap.. go for the '6 over the XSi lump, it's not worth changing otherwise, IMO
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
What Midnight said! The XSI is the worst engine they did IMO. You have the sluggish bottom end of the GTi engine but a seriously detuned head like the 1.8. The 1.8 is a great base for a build as its a very lively engine and substantially lighter than the XU10 (being all ally instead of iron like the XU10). The GTi engine is already highly tuned from the factory so takes a lot of money to get any substantial power gains from it.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
i must admit i really like the 1.8 engine, i know DP Engineering do the Turbo conversion for it but they dont do any low compression pistons or even a decompression headgasket for it, i was wondering if there were any other cars that have a 1.8 16v Turbo engine that match the same bore and gudgoen pins as the XU7, i have even been on the wossner website, again nothing for the XU7.

On the Camshaft front I spoke to Peugeot ecosse who said they could re-profile the cams for £200 per camshaft TMI. Again there seems to be nothing out there for the XU7 apart from DP, but as atspeed said they are taking months to come through. Maybe if i smile nicly at the inlaws they will buy a few goodies for us at christmas.
In the meantime i will pull the engine next month and check the tolerances to see if i can re-use it, god i need a lottery win lol.

I spoke to my mate who gave me the turbo, he seems to think that the turbo will work fine as the vectra DTI it came off is a common rail diesel. I am not to sure though Doh
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
I doubt that turbo would be useable for what you're after being as it's a diesel turbo for starters it'll run out of puff long before you reach the redline..

IMO.. just stick all the GTi top end on the 1.8 bottom end, get some aftermarket management and run a homebrew supercharger setup, much cheaper than a turbo'd GTi setup and it'll scream up the rpms
Thanks given by:
I thought the worst engine was the 2.0 8v Turbo from the 406 lol
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
(29-07-2013, 10:44 AM)Midnightclub Wrote: I doubt that turbo would be useable for what you're after being as it's a diesel turbo for starters it'll run out of puff long before you reach the redline..

IMO.. just stick all the GTi top end on the 1.8 bottom end, get some aftermarket management and run a homebrew supercharger setup, much cheaper than a turbo'd GTi setup and it'll scream up the rpms

This is exactly what i planned to do but have lost motivation if im honest. The 1.8 head is the biggest restriction in that engine and also the management is shocking. It just can not handle any slight change at all! Get it on aftermarket management and i reckon with the 6 head alone you will see some pretty good gains.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Hmmmmmm could me an option, didnt know the gti6 head would fit the 1.8, it would still be lightweight too. Like it Inlove
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
Yep bolts straight on. Make sure you use the 1.8 head bolts and dont forget the spacer under the head bolt next to the exhaust cam pulley. I learned the hard way!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Could always do what that astor xs guy did an just run it on '6 management to begin with.. keep it N/A, adjustable fuel reg and a AFR gauge to keep it from running too rich/lean?
Thanks given by:
It ran far to rich unfortunately. Would of destroyed the engine in no time!
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Would i need to get the GTI 6 inlet and exhaust manifolds or could i run my 1.8 ones on the head?.

I am new to tuning pugs as you can probably tell.

Any of you chaps live down in kent?
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
You will need larger injectors for sure, double the 1.8 injector CC if heading down turbo route with gti head.

Then an aftermarket management system and 7/8psi and you should see 200bhp easily.

Do some research on headgaskets, you may find a decent thickness of headgasket to decompress'

(29-07-2013, 12:09 PM)PUGNUT_XS Wrote: Would i need to get the GTI 6 inlet and exhaust manifolds or could i run my 1.8 ones on the head?.

I am new to tuning pugs as you can probably tell.

Any of you chaps live down in kent?

As already said, you want the GTi inlet and exhaust for sure just for some gains!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
You can use the GTi cams too, plug and play =)

Your XU7JP4 plus

- XU10J4RS cams
- XU10J4RS inlet (mani, TBI, injectors, etc)
- XU10J4RS exhaust mani plus 2,25 or 2,50" exhaust modified
- IAW1AP ECU (some pins must be rechanged)

With this, you approach (or pass) the GTi 167bhp with your XU7JP4 cylinder head and block
Thanks given by:
Managed to source a complete GTI6 engine, Box, wiring loom, unlocked ECU and transponder.

So i am going to strip the engine to check its ok, then save my pocket money up and go for the DP conversion.

But i am very tempted to build one engine out of the two that i have.

Decisions Decisions???????
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:
If you keep the 1.8 bottom end, you're gunna have to find custom rods.. £££, at least you can get GTi bits 'off the shelf' so to speak.
Thanks given by:
Exactly.

Like the set of wossner low compression pistons that the long haired general will be getting for me for christmas, although she doesnt know it yet lol
1999 2.0 8v Turbo 306

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GTI-6 Gearbox- Advice needed PUGNUT_XS 40 8,501 03-02-2014, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Niall