S16 stuttering

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S16 stuttering
Hope some of you s16 guys can help me out here my s16 has just started to stutter when revving under load it idles fine and seems to rev fine when not under load but when I am driving it just starts misfireing and spluttering I have checked the sparkplugs and all seems fine there I have swapped the coil packs one at a time and that hasent helped either so if anyone could give me any ideas on what to check it would be much apreciated
Thanks given by:
I have just done a compression test and every thing seems OK around the 135-145 psi on all cylinders
Thanks given by:
I had this bud it was a coil pack! Intermitant, sometimes it was ok others not fecking pain in the arse,

Also check the coil pack loom, they crack at the plug end and let water in, also check make sure the cover plate isn't crushing it
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yea sounds a bit like what I got it did start to stutter every now and again and now it has got a lot worse like every time I put my foot down lol. Its real annoying because the coil packs work whenever I check them lol.
Just on the off chance do gti6 coil packs fit I might just replace all of them lol
Thanks given by:
Yeah sounds like could be a coil pack to me. S16 1s are different to Gti6 1s
Thanks given by:
What I ended up doing was driving with out the cover on when it started f*cking about I stopped and pulled off each one in turn, took ages to find the one! As almost every time It wasn't under load it was fine! Got there in the end though lol

Oh yeh use plastic pliers as it hurts otherwise ha ha
Thanks given by:
Haha OK then mate I'll go and give that a go now and I'll report back lol
Thanks given by:
Riiight I have been for a drive and I think I have sorted the stuttering but....... the car dosent seem like it wants to rev as smoothly/freely as it should. It just seems last like its taking forever to get to 6/7k whereas before it would rev right round no problem. I am 99.9% sure the avac system is working properly.

Any ideas??

Also when I was out on the test drive the bloody bolt holding the power steering pump has snapped so I gotta bloody sort that out now lol.
Thanks given by:
Checked the obvious one - fuel filter?
Thanks given by:
What like a massive flat spot?
Thanks given by:
Yea a MASSIVE flat spot not the normal flat spots you get from a faulty avac system

(22-03-2013, 05:07 PM)Dan! Wrote: Checked the obvious one - fuel filter?

I havent checked the fuel filter yet but I changed it about a year ago and I dont realy ever run the tank low so it shouldnt be blocked I have a spare so ill change it just to rule that out
Thanks given by:
Where is the flat spot? Between 3 and 5 k?
Thanks given by:
Seems pretty much throughout the whole rev range it realy dosent like 5-7k though
Thanks given by:
Cat might have collapsed if you been running on 3 for a while, they don't like unburnt fuel
Thanks given by:
Ahh not ideal lol. Atleast if it is its nothing major with the engine ill try and get a video of the car and upload it
Thanks given by:
(22-03-2013, 03:41 PM)Jonny b Wrote: What I ended up doing was driving with out the cover on when it started f*cking about I stopped and pulled off each one in turn, took ages to find the one! As almost every time It wasn't under load it was fine! Got there in the end though lol

Oh yeh use plastic pliers as it hurts otherwise ha ha

That's they way I found my coil pack that was playing up
Thanks given by:
135 psi means you have a engine on the way out, you should be around 170 min on any modern engine
Thanks given by:
Tbh it's not to shabby for a 19 year old engine. At least it's pretty even
Thanks given by:
Have to disagree on that one, Until the HG went on my Dads old 306 GTi at 285,000 Miles compression was all around the 200 mark
Thanks given by:
Right had a day on this yesterday looks like the cat was all blocked so I chopped that and gutted it for now will have to get another at some point also sorted out the power steering pump so now have power steering and it charges itself. I have also found out what coil pack that was causing me issues as it gave up altogether lol.

Would like to get another spare coil pack though so if any of you guys have any you wouldn't mind getting rid of let me know.
Thanks given by:
I have 8 lol let me know if you need one
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  st st st stuttering smokey 11 2,553 16-10-2012, 08:44 AM
Last Post: smokey