MOT Rules changing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MOT Rules changing
Well looks like its official.
Some of you have probably heard me saying for a while that as of this year, any standard airbags removed, any warning lights etc will be a fail. Well here we go

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/CH...202013.pdf

Now effective from the 20th so you lot with race wheels and buckets, make sure you swap them back before your mot!

Quote:Headlamp levelling and cleaning devices when fitted for HID or LED headlamps
 Main beam ‘tell-tale’ warning
 Battery (including batteries for electric or hybrid vehicles)
 Electrical wiring and connectors
 Trailer electrical socket security and damage
 Operation of 13-pin trailer electrical sockets using an approved trailer socket tester
 Operation of the steering lock (where fitted) including a malfunction warning in respect of an electronic steering lock
 Electronic power steering malfunction indicator lamp
 Electronic parking brake control and malfunction indicator lamp
 Electronic Stability Control (ESC) components, including the switch (if fitted) and malfunction warning
 Brake fluid warning lamp illuminated or inoperative
 Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS)
 SRS components including airbags, seat belt pre-tensioners, seat belt load limiters and SRS malfunction warning lamp
 Engine mountings
 Speedometer
 Indirect vision devices (where they replace obligatory mirrors)
Additional new items for Class 5 vehicles only:
 Electronic braking system warning device
 Entrance/Exit Steps and doors
 Door remote and emergency controls
 Door open warning devices
 Stairs
 Emergency exit signs, windows and ‘break glass’ hammers
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
I already posted this in the other airbag light discussion. http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-11019-po...#pid235859

Just f*cking great, my Rallye doesn't have any airbag wiring anymore.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
What about wrc cars etc. I can understand if you've got warning lights but not if its all been removed all together

Also maybe I'm being stupid but can't see where it says you must have it if its fitted as standard etc just that it should work
Thanks given by:
(16-03-2013, 06:33 PM)Blandy Wrote: What about wrc cars etc. I can understand if you've got warning lights but not if its all been removed all together

If its a road going car then it must comply to the rules regardless. C2K, i dont understand why people remove wiring like that?! For the effort, the minimal weight loss will make no difference at all to speed.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
People need to stop panicking, guarantee this shit will not even get checked!
Disclaimer: The above is not to be taken to heart and is probably a joke, grow up you big girl.
[Image: Sig500x130.png]
Thanks given by:
Because the previous owner was a complete moron. He took the door seals out to save weight, innit.

I've got no drivers airbag, no pretensioners, no control module and most of the wiring is missing. I'll break the car for parts before I fit all that useless shite again.
Thanks given by:
So if an airbag is not there, and no warning lights show up, then it'll pass? Or have I read that wrong
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
But why I can't see where it states that in the rules again the likes of wrc cars etc have all that removed but are legal on the road. My car is a track car that only sees the road to drive to trackdays it's fully caged with harnesses and buckets etc so no point having airbags etc
Thanks given by:
(16-03-2013, 06:38 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: So if an airbag is not there, and no warning lights show up, then it'll pass? Or have I read that wrong

Errr bit grey tbh. The mot testers will have access to a database that will show what airbags your car came with as standard (not i said standard, not optional. bear that in mind ph2 owners!) so if your missing your drivers airbag but you have used a resistor to fix the light, it will still fail

CAR, shut up.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(16-03-2013, 06:31 PM)C2K Wrote: I already posted this in the other airbag light discussion. http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-11019-po...#pid235859

Just f*cking great, my Rallye doesn't have any airbag wiring anymore.

You wouldn't have to make it actually work. Just wire up the airbag light so it comes on with the ignition then turns off. Then fit the standard steering wheel etc, they'll never know none of its connected.

Your always going to be able to find testers that will be happy to put them through though, wouldn't worry too much.
[Image: 20120704_212316.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(16-03-2013, 06:40 PM)Blandy Wrote: But why I can't see where it states that in the rules again the likes of wrc cars etc have all that removed but are legal on the road. My car is a track car that only sees the road to drive to trackdays it's fully caged with harnesses and buckets etc so no point having airbags etc

Yes but when it was built, it was subject to type approval like all of ours so it still complies to these rules.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Lol but where does it state that of it was there when new it must have it? All i can make out is that it says if its there it should work?

Trouble with all these rules all the time nothing's ever crystal clear
Thanks given by:
In that document it doesnt but if you look around the VOSA website you can find the full detailed guide on exactly what is changing down to the letter.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Ok I'll go have look must be some manoeuvrability somewhere though or else that's just wiped a shed load of cars off the road. If so looks like ill have to buy a trailer lol
Thanks given by:
Best sort the wiring under my seat... I'm assuming the flashing air bag light would deem it a fail?

Feel sorry for newer car owners tbh. Esp and the type come as standard on most cars now and if that fails it ain't cheap

S2 HDi >click<
154bhp
280lbs/ft
Thanks given by:
i do belive all french cars will fail their next MOT on 1 point only!

"Electrical wiring and connectors"
Thanks given by:
This test used to be about making sure your vehicle was safe, that it wasn't spontaneously going to throw a wheel off and you end up driving into someone.

Now it's more concerned with how many flashy flashy lights your dash has.
Thanks given by:
Oh fantastic!!!! So 20th of march or hopefully April???
[Image: siggy1.jpg]

the smokey old bus that sounds like a tractor...
Thanks given by:
So long as the whole decat thing doesn't change I'm happy Smile
[Image: mcetg0.png]

ZR VVC Homebrew mapping project: http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=14360
Thanks given by:
Cant see them failing it if you have no sign of airbags tbh, you can get them without them fitted, just a load more farce etc screwing our shitty country over!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
It is all defo coming in this mouth. Got a special note through at work this week
Thanks given by:
(16-03-2013, 07:28 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Cant see them failing it if you have no sign of airbags tbh, you can get them without them fitted, just a load more farce etc screwing our shitty country over!

This is what im saying. All makes and models of cars when type approved would of listed the standard included air bags (so in the case of a ph2 for example, drivers and pre tensioners only) and this is what they will see on their database but what they wont see is optional extras (so once again in the case of a ph2, passengers and side bags.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
I thought this was on...then off again due to the 100s of track and rally cars...not just the world RC...that would all fail?!

So just wack a link between say another warning light which comes on then off with the ignition?

we did this on a few rally cars due to ABS light needing to come on...passed

and of course pre 1960 cars which now dont need a MOT are really safe and less likely to injure or break or kill someone than a older car which had airbags that dont work
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
There's rules like...

'Front seats must be adjustable and go to 3 different positions' for example. BUT. If it's a track-spec car, and this is clear (aka, propper suspension, all the track mods) then you'll get by.

Thankfully, oil leaks are still an advisory because mine passed it's MOT yesterday, first time with just advisory for oil leak and slight brake rear imbalance.
[Image: KrisB-new-Logo11.gif]
Thanks given by:
(16-03-2013, 07:41 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: I thought this was on...then off again due to the 100s of track and rally cars...not just the world RC...that would all fail?!

So just wack a link between say another warning light which comes on then off with the ignition?

we did this on a few rally cars due to ABS light needing to come on...passed

and of course pre 1960 cars which now dont need a MOT are really safe and less likely to injure or break or kill someone than a older car which had airbags that dont work

No because in reality, Track spec cars that are road legal are at the best of times, road legal only just. End of the day, you want a track car, you have one to use on track. I know some on here have a stripped daily but in reality, they are such a small minority in the world of cars.

And it was always on but its explained why in that document why it has taken so long to be implemented.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
its taken so long coz as usual its a total waste of time and money

no doubt the MOT price will go up due to the diff regs.

This proper gets me annoyed....dumbass 'proffessionals' creating regs which have no real bearing on safety....get the removal of undertrims in there...then they can inspect things properly
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(16-03-2013, 07:51 PM)Piggy1987 Wrote: its taken so long coz as usual its a total waste of time and money

no doubt the MOT price will go up due to the diff regs.

This proper gets me annoyed....dumbass 'proffessionals' creating regs which have no real bearing on safety....get the removal of undertrims in there...then they can inspect things properly

you are an idiot arent you?
a) it says in that document that the price isnt going up so dont jump on the "oh its all bollocks" band wagon. As cars progress, tests are going to adapt.
b) It does have a bearing on safety. There is no doubting that when correctly used, airbags make a huge difference to injury in an accident. But i bet your going to tell me that it doesnt make a difference to you because you will never have an accident right?
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Meh dont see why airbag removal should fail an MOT, its your car, your problem, not all cars have airbags, they VERY rarely go off in a 306 anyways, its just farce for people with them, Ill just see what happens in the future as id never drive with airbags turned on, scare the f*ck out of me!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(16-03-2013, 08:00 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: Meh dont see why airbag removal should fail an MOT, its your car, your problem, not all cars have airbags, they VERY rarely go off in a 306 anyways, its just farce for people with them, Ill just see what happens in the future as id never drive with airbags turned on, scare the f*ck out of me!

True but from their point of view, you might not care but what about your passengers or anyone that borrows your car? I know thats going over the top but we know what this country is like for health and safety.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Yes there are 2 sides to every story and yeah on a standard road car I'd want airbags. But in a stripped out car with cage harness bars, fixed buckets etc I.e race spec then that's going to be safer than a airbag alone. I can understand the point of stopping the unsafe mods etc but really needs looking into rather than just doing a blanket rule

But that's just my 2p
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rules on selling a new contract phone? Redordead89 6 1,318 06-01-2016, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Iaitoo
  Rules on JSA? rtha6551 3 1,318 22-10-2015, 03:25 PM
Last Post: silverzx
  CAT D Vehicle rules/paperwork? ginge191 23 5,910 03-05-2015, 04:22 PM
Last Post: procta