Oil pressure and temp

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil pressure and temp
Whats the normal oil temp and pressure for a hdi? Finally getting round to plumbing mine in this week.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
No idea on temp, would assume around 100 degrees, pressure should be ~5bar.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Are xud11 numbers any good?

My oil temp sits at about 75-80degrees in general and oil pressure is 2bar at idle when cold and at 1 bar once warm.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Hahaha i completely assumed he'd be tanking it, not sure why... Angel
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Dumdum kept his eye on my oil temp when I was spanking it....didnt go above 100 once.

At full boost when warm, oil pressure reaches about 2bar.

But then Im not normally watching gauges at full boost. More hanging on
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(18-06-2014, 07:14 PM)Piggy Wrote: Are xud11 numbers any good?

My oil temp sits at about 75-80degrees in general and oil pressure is 2bar at idle when cold and at 1 bar once warm.

That oil pressure seems low compared to mine. When mine is cold its about 5 bar till it warms up. Oil temp is about the same, but its about 100 on a motorway run
Thanks given by:
The HDis have a 5 bar oil spring, don't know about the xuds, would assume the same. Where have you got the take-off for the gauge feed, Piggy?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Sandwich plate for both.

5 bar is a LOT of pressure imho
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Maybe 5 bar is the upgrade then, hmmm. I think it's best we ignore everything i've just said, my memory seems to be temporarily unavailable lol.

Ahah, google comes through again: http://www.pugaddicts.co.uk/2012/12/peug...-data.html

3.8bar and 80 degrees seems to be the standard.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yeah 5 bar is a lot of pressure but as poddle said pretty sure there fitted with a 5 bar spring so it kind of makes sense. Yours seems low to me, don't think mine is ever as low as 1 bar even when warm
Thanks given by:
5 Bar is the petrol engines. At least it is the GTi anyway.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Hmmm....thats weird.

With two different gauges and sensors...same readings for me. Will check my earth I think
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
oil pressure should be 3.8 bar @ 3000rpm and temp should be 80c when the engine is you to temp, that's according to autodata

for piggy your oil pressure should be 3.1 bar @2000rpm that is an xud11
Thanks given by:
Yeah piggy that does seem low!
Didn't people used to put hdi spring into XUDs?
Thanks given by:
How weird
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Awesome, just wanted a rough idea so i would know if it was wildly out.
[Image: sig002_zpscb892e18.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(18-06-2014, 08:20 PM)Piggy Wrote: 5 bar is a LOT of pressure imho
Not really it's not - indeed, I think that the lowest rated pressure relief spring on an XU/XUD series engine.

(18-06-2014, 08:33 PM)Poodle Wrote: Maybe 5 bar is the upgrade then, hmmm. I think it's best we ignore everything i've just said, my memory seems to be temporarily unavailable lol.

Ahah, google comes through again: http://www.pugaddicts.co.uk/2012/12/peug...-data.html

3.8bar and 80 degrees seems to be the standard.
Just double checked Servicebox and XUD11's have a 6 bar relief spring as standard, same as XU10 engines.

XUD9 and DW10's (HDi) 's have a 5 bar spring which is where you were likely getting that from - same as XU5/7/9 8v engines.

I've not checked the gearing for the oil pump, but you should really be seeing those sorts of pressure figures high up the rev range with warm oil - certainly the figures that Piggy's mentioning sound very low if they're peak.

Oil pressure is indirectly a function of flow, which in turn is a function of engine speed, and therefore you'll see lower pressure at low revs and it will climb as the revs increase.

To give some rough figures of what I see on the GTi-6 engine in my 205 (which has an oil pressure guage as standard), it's in the region of about 1-2 bar at idle and 5-6 bar at 4000rpm with hot oil, and with cold oil it'll be around 3-4 bar at idle and it'll pin the pressure gauge at maximum (8 bar) at 4000rpm lol

These are pretty normal for XU petrol engines in my experience, if usually a little lower for the older 8v engines as they have a lower geared oil pump drive and lower (5 bar) pressure spring on them. Drastically lower figures, if confirmed by a "proper" oil pressure gauge and even after an oil change, tend to point at a tired bottom end. I would be surprised if XUD/DW figures were much different.

Oil temperature is a function of how hard you're driving and what oil cooler / heat exchanger you have fitted - something around 80-90 degrees on the motorway cruising at 70-80mph would be in the right ballpark.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Ah ok, cheers for that.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Pressure wise, when the engine is warm get just under 2 bar at idle and 4.5 bar at 4k in my xud9

Temperature wise, about 110 degrees C sat at 70 mph on the motorway and ive seen the the temp as high as 135 C after a few miles of spirited driving.

These figures have been the same using a T2, TD04 and a gt2052s
306 XUD9 gt2052s
306 hdi stage 2 (hdi tuning)
205 STDT -new project
Thanks given by:
So my figures are basically exactly half what they should be....how weird

Guna get a new sender I think...

Other than that, some sort of resitor to double the signal!!

Mind, 110degrees sound VERY hot for cruising at 70
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
does seem too high so will doulde check next time a drive it. it may be slightly lower at night etc
Ive never had another xud9 with a temp gauge fitted to compare against,

when i had a 205 with a xu10 engine a noticed the oil temp increased by roughly 10C when i moved the sensor from the sump up to the sandwich plate.
306 XUD9 gt2052s
306 hdi stage 2 (hdi tuning)
205 STDT -new project
Thanks given by:
110 at cruising speed can't be right, or if it is you've got a bigger problem lol. What did the xu10 run at? Iirc the oil starts to cook at about 130 degrees..?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
On motorway doing 70/80mph mine is at 100deg
Thanks given by:
Mines was just below 90 cruising and now sits bang on 85 with the cooler plumbed in. Really have to push it to see anywhere near 110!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
What box are you guys with high oil temps on the motorway using? Wondering if it's the ~2.5k rpm dt box cruising speed that's causing it... Front mounted or still on the tmic?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Im on fmic, hdi gearbox.

Dont see above 90 unless I am absolutely hammering it.

Still confuses me about the oil pressure Confused
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Im on xantia gearbox which I reckon is the same as any Xud box.

Cant remember what oil temp I was getting on my oil engine with Hdi box
Thanks given by:
there was me thinking my oil pressure was low because of all the leaks.. 4 bar here too, 2-3 when not cold and i am ragging the titties off it.!
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
turns out mine ( ours ) does have an oil cooler below the oil filter and seems to be plumbed in...........the coolant temp seems to sit at about 70 degrees for normal motoring and rises a bit ( 95 was the highest from memory ) when slow and up hill, coolant level doesn't seem to drop at all.........does a lowish temp ( 70 degrees or so ) cause the ecu to go into "warm up" or "eng cold" fuel delivery and use excess or more fuel??

according to the Peugeot tech bit on here the car has 1 two speed fan but the car has 2 fans in front of the rad etc...........the low temp fan seems to cut in at about the recommended figure ( cant remember what that is exactly at the mo.......100 degrees ish ) and cuts out at about 90 degrees ish....so thast probably working ok. not sure about the other fan as we've never had it at a higher temp........we run the car at the mo with the heater at hottest but with the heater fan off..........and the air going to the screen as the control cable is bent..........a job to do when I take the dam cd player out again....doesn't like to start to play a cd when eng running.....vibration?

doesn't seem to have an oil pressure ( or temp ) gauge but once the oil light goes off it stays off whilst the eng is running......the oil level gauge works ok and never seems to need a top up........
Thanks given by:
(18-06-2014, 07:20 PM)Piggy Wrote: Dumdum kept his eye on my oil temp when I was spanking it....didnt go above 100 once.

At full boost when warm, oil pressure reaches about 2bar.

But then Im not normally watching gauges at full boost. More hanging on
As I told you though yours runs too cold for too long. It doesnt warm up fast enough as oil needs to be at 80 to be effective and if it doesnt get there it doesnt even start to burn off its own contaminants. At a guess I'd say then 80-100 is fine under normal conditions.

(18-06-2014, 08:35 PM)Niall Wrote: 5 Bar is the petrol engines. At least it is the GTi anyway.
Its not the GTi6 has a 6 bar spring pretty much all the others (including DW10 and XUD9) have 5 bar springs but this is peak pressure not some sort of operating pressure, the details that someone posted off autodata are what you want to check yourself against.

The XUD11 and XUD13 (2.5 lump) both run the 6bar spring.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oil temp and pressure gauges Slam Wagon 15 2,984 10-07-2015, 05:10 PM
Last Post: Slam Wagon
  Intake temp and Exhaust temp sensors? JTaylor2005 5 2,387 26-12-2014, 02:04 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005