advice removing steering wheel

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
advice removing steering wheel
Thumbs Down 
Has anyone got any tips I should know about changing my ph3 steering wheel.
Im getting a new one sunday and just wondered what I should be looking out for with the air bag.
Repp for your help.
[Image: newsig_zpsee86fa10.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Disconnect the battery for half an hour, then 2 torx bits on the back and a 21mm for the bolt (IIRC).
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2013, 03:58 PM)Curt Wrote: Disconnect the battery for half an hour, then 2 torx bits on the back and a 21mm for the bolt (IIRC).

The bolt is a ph1 thing, on 2/3 its a Torx 50, and they round out really easily.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I know some have a torx. That's why I said "for the bolt". I've only ever had phase 1s
Thanks given by:
and when you undo the middle bolt, leave it in a few threads so when you pull/yank/thump the wheel off you dont break your own nose!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Might seem common sense but make sure the wheels keep straight throughout the process, i changed one on a previous car and pulled it slightly one way when taking the wheel off then i put the new one on straight, then wondered why it pulled to the right lol
Thanks given by:
(09-08-2013, 04:36 PM)Piggy Wrote: and when you undo the middle bolt, leave it in a few threads so when you pull/yank/thump the wheel off you dont break your own nose!

yeah do this ^^^^^^ trust me that f*cking hurts!! same with the gear knob lol

[Image: DSC_0190-Copy_zpsf093f84d.jpg]
Member of 99% warning or your nothing club!

Thanks given by:
(09-08-2013, 05:09 PM)Leedunn86 Wrote: Might seem common sense but make sure the wheels keep straight throughout the process, i changed one on a previous car and pulled it slightly one way when taking the wheel off then i put the new one on straight, then wondered why it pulled to the right lol

all this will do is mean the wheel doesnt POINT straight, which is just annoying, it wont make the car PULL either way...thats tracking, bottom arms etc
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Put wheels straight, disconnect battery, make a brew, drink said brew, remove airbag, undo torx nearly all the way, yank wheel, finish removing torx bolt, remove wheel.

Replacement is the reverse of removal. But you swear in different places.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
What are you doing with the old one Kingy? Is it the 4 spoke one?

/vulture
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2013, 09:38 PM)Jonny81191 Wrote: Put wheels straight, disconnect battery, make a brew, drink said brew, remove airbag, undo torx nearly all the way, yank wheel, finish removing torx bolt, remove wheel.

Replacement is the reverse of removal. But you swear in different places.

Exactly how i did mine.
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2013, 09:39 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: What are you doing with the old one Kingy? Is it the 4 spoke one?

/vulture

Why r u interested? Ive just feckin rounded off the 2 torx at the bach of the wheel. Great start.

Any ideas?
Thanks given by:
How did you manage that?!
Thanks given by:
That is a proper facepalm moment. cos if you can't get them out, it'll be a risky job removing the wheel.

If they really properly won't come out, you're gonna have to get the airbag off using brute force to access the torx bolt. Chair all the way back and reclined as far as it'll go, then pry, lever and pull at the airbag until it comes off. DO NOT use anything more than a hacksaw (at most) to cut it, you'll generate too much heat near a pyrotechnic device.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
How do you manage to round the airbag bolts? Even I haven't failed at removing those before! lol

Are you absolutely sure they're rounded?
Thanks given by:
(11-08-2013, 01:48 PM)kingy Wrote:
(10-08-2013, 09:39 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: What are you doing with the old one Kingy? Is it the 4 spoke one?

/vulture

Why r u interested? Ive just feckin rounded off the 2 torx at the bach of the wheel. Great start.

Any ideas?

Might be interested. Wink

Depends if you can actually get it off in one piece though! lol
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Right. Mr stupid here. Didnt round them off I was using the wrong torx. But you carnt see fir shite and basicly just prevail with trail and error.
Anyway, took everyones advice and it went without problem.
So ta to everyone for the advice and rep us on its way.

Wingynuts, its off and all hoid if you want to make me a offer. Will get a pic if you want.
Its not perfect but I have seen alot worse.
Thanks given by:
(11-08-2013, 01:48 PM)kingy Wrote: [ Ive just feckin rounded off the 2 torx at the bach of the wheel. Great start.

Any ideas?

cool now you need to make the airbag safe
remove top cowl ad 12v to the airbag from a distance BANG!
now set to with a knife/hammer and chissel

do this at your own stupid risk!
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Removing locking wheel nuts? Colactix 12 2,874 13-03-2021, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Colactix
  steering wheel not straight after beam change/new tyres Iaitoo 16 3,278 13-06-2016, 05:58 AM
Last Post: Poodle
  Removing power steering Phase 1 1.4 Adam CD P1 7 1,483 21-02-2016, 08:39 PM
Last Post: Adam CD P1