Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible head gasket issues?
Hey all, I've got a DW8 powered 306 which I'm having some strange issues with - I bought it off a chap (who was on here I think at one point...) knowing that the car had a suspected head gasket problem, now it would use water quite slowly and wasn't smoky from the exhaust nor was there any mayo from the oil cap, what I did find when pressure testing was a split in the hose going to the back (heater matrix, possibly?) of the bulk head, I cut this and repaired it and a pressure test was carried out again and it was as it should be - left for some time on idle it got to good temperature and didn't use fluids.

a couple of days later we drove it 40 miles up the road and got stuck in some traffic, the car perhaps raised the gauge to between 95-100c and the fan kicked in bringing it back down to around 80c it had used some coolant, but certainly not all of it, just enough to notice a difference though.

I sent it off to another garage who did a pressure and chemical test on it, which came back fine - one of the rear hoses was hard which my mechanic suspected the head has gone but this actually sorted itself out, which led him to believe there was a block somewhere which had perhaps shifted. I had the timing belt and water pump done on it.

Taking it out the other day, I gave it some welly around town where the roads were clear and it stayed at about 75c consistently ( 20-25 minute drive).

We have found that the coolant bottle seems to stay at around a quarter of fluid each time we've checked it / filled it up.... 

Is it new head time? Or is there something else going on?

Thanks in advance.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Possible head gasket issues? - by forbeslongden - 27-12-2019, 11:59 AM
RE: Possible head gasket issues? - by johnny625 - 28-12-2019, 08:35 PM
RE: Possible head gasket issues? - by Mighty306 - 16-01-2020, 09:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Head gasket (again!) Pughawk 1 1,576 08-11-2019, 08:59 AM
Last Post: Mighty306
  Head gasket and Engine rebuilds. weka 2 1,978 15-07-2019, 08:46 AM
Last Post: weka
  Major fuel pump problems, air leak, head gasket? Dantheman1312 2 2,148 22-08-2016, 09:57 AM
Last Post: r3k1355