Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Giving in and scrapping the Pug
Hi guys,

This is probably in gross misconduct of the forum rules or something so feel free to delete, but having posted a pathetic 22 posts so far, a hefty 78 posts below the minimum required to post anything in the designated For Sale section, I'm just going to fire away and do it, but there's some semblance of a genuine question that wouldn't belong in the For Sale section anyway, so who knows where this post belongs.

I'm getting rid of my [once] trusty old 306, the affectionately named 'Tony'. '99 Phase 2 1.4 Meridian, done nearly 159,000 miles now. Despite having had a lot done to him since I got him three years ago, it gets to that point when you just think "You ain't gonna survive the winter, are ya?". And if he does, it won't be without considerable anxiety every time I go to start him. If he didn't have his current inexplicable major oil leak he'd probably be worth repairing again, but it's just one thing after another now, and he's done nearly 50k miles in the past few years laden with stuff, 3 house moves, all weathers, through dirt tracks and cruising up and down the M5 through various conditions. He's been a wicked car all in, I've spent, roughly in the region of £1500 on him minus the usual servicing and MOT stuff, on top of the friendly £500 I paid for him way back when he was a young 110k'er. Great car and has really turned me on to 306's. To the right person he's still worth a punt, but not to me anymore, I struggle with even the basics of car maintenance (despite the helpful advice I get on here, muchos gracias...) so stuff like replacing the wiper motor is just something I almost definitely won't do myself properly. It's a shame because I put a new head gasket on him only in March (that was a miscalculation, but needs must when you're skint and in desperate need of wheels at the time - a £560 job on a £500 car stings but is cheaper than getting another £500 car and the clutch going the next day; a case of 'better the devil you know'...) and the clutch has only done about 25,000 miles. But I've got access to a decent 306 diesel in the meantime (thanks sis) and am on the hunt for possibly a 306 estate now my finances are looking a bit better, but following the recent emergence of a new oil leak (got through 2 litres between Bristol and Exeter on its final voyager after an emergency top up swiftly followed by another no-start incident relating to the battery earth, I believe), coinciding nicely with some surgery I've just had done thus rendering m not allowed to drive for a few weeks, now the's the time to rid. 

It seems to be impossible to gauge prices correctly, but I'm going to sell it as spares/repairs I think, unless someone wants to diagnose and fix its problems, but that seems doubtful, I wouldn't be surprised if the rear axle was on its way out as well, so I'd love to get £100 for it, but that seems unlikely. If anyone can give me a decent ballpark of what I could be asking for when I call the scrappers (though I'll probably quickly put it on eBay etc for a week first, just in case...), I'd be grateful.

Here's the low-down.

FOR SALE - Spares/Repairs 1999 PEUGEOT 306 1.4 MERIDIAN

Faults:
- Inexplicable major oil leak. Has had minor oil leak for a while, but recently consumed 2 ltrs of engine oil in about 80 miles. 
- Wiper relay problem, only two settings work
- Faulty CD player
- Loose front bumper
- Rear left brake light not working
- Rare, but significant start-up problem related to the battery, where car simply won't start and engine won't turn over (enough swearing and persistence WILL solve this)
- Cosmetic damage, rather scratched and slightly dented
- Some kind of recent emergence of a lower hernia underneath at the back - rear axle on its way out perhaps? Very likely for a 306

Good bits:
- Still starts, generally well, apart from the occasional times it doesn't (see above)
- Tyres good
- MOT and tax until March 2019

- New head gasket put on this March for some reason
- New coil pack put on last year
- No MOT advisories other than loose bumper
- New clutch about 25,000 miles ago

Car is sat in Mid Devon, near Crediton.

What can I reasonably get for this?   Huh  Danke

[Image: 45410436_564571097325980_503147117843107...e=5CB16724]
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Giving in and scrapping the Pug - by Pughawk - 27-11-2018, 06:46 PM