Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intermittent coolant light
Hi, I've got a phase 1 D Turbo ('95/N). I bought it in October 2014. Loving the car to bits but there's one minor issue that makes no sense to me.

Usually when I start the car the engine gradually warms up until it settles at roughly 75°C, as expected. It does this 99% of the time. 

But every now and then the engine temperature will continue to increase until it reaches about 90°C. It will then stay at that temperature for about 20 seconds, and then settle back down to about 75°C. On journeys where it does this, the red coolant light pops up intermittently. This happened this afternoon, despite the fact that the coolant level was very recently topped up (and was still full).

This has happened in the past, and it usually happens for a few days in a row and then reverts back to normal for a couple of months. In the few consecutive days where it occurs, it has been known for the car to lose coolant quite quickly, but the car does not have a coolant leak (it did when I bought it but that was soon rectified).

I am fairly confident that it will stop doing this by the end of next week and will be fine for a couple of months again, but is this a common fault and what does it actually mean?
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Intermittent coolant light - by L95 - 22-11-2015, 03:43 PM
RE: Intermittent coolant light - by Seb_Ryan - 22-11-2015, 04:44 PM
RE: Intermittent coolant light - by L95 - 22-11-2015, 06:25 PM
RE: Intermittent coolant light - by Mattcheese31 - 22-11-2015, 08:33 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  high temp coolant light without overheating firemoth 4 2,685 24-02-2014, 11:45 AM
Last Post: firemoth