Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
206 Hdi Limp mode and black smoke problems
Hi,

sorry if this info is all a bit vague but I haven't moved onto ecu controlled cars for obvious reasons!

Neighbours car is randomly playing up so I thought I would take a look at it. Initially ecu light is on and won't rev past 2300rpm ish. After pulling off various sensors and turning ignition off and on, starting and stopping all of a sudden it starts to rev freely.
At this point I took it to give it a GOOD clear out. It goes well, revving to just under 5k, bit of smoke out the back but not loads. I've read that these things suffer badly from blocked egr valves, manifolds and cats hence trying to clear it out.
All was well until suddenly I get plumes of black smoke out the back and the revs hold even when I take my foot off the throttle!!! This was accompanied by a distinct pinking/dieseling noise from under the bonnet. Ended up having to turn the ignition off and then on again which settled it down BUT it has now dropped into a proper limp mode I assume as it's holding 3000RPM accompanied by smoke and missing IF you hold it on the "limiter"
My first thoughts were "shit, it's running on its own oil" but I think it goes too well for that and the turbos quiet.

Any ideas? Will get her to order a cheap code reader asap if that's going to be any help?

Other than that, when it's going right it sounds great and goes well, doesn't use fluids either.

Cheers

Paul.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
206 Hdi Limp mode and black smoke problems - by Paul Baldwin - 30-07-2014, 03:41 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Limp Mode - New owner klone 5 2,779 03-02-2020, 02:30 PM
Last Post: pug306driver
Information Black smoke? Durham-Motor-service-Pug 8 3,020 03-05-2018, 05:38 AM
Last Post: Uberderv
  Limp mode when on motorway 70-75mph rob18124 13 3,169 23-07-2015, 11:40 AM
Last Post: rob18124