306 HDI Ignition Switch Problems

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306 HDI Ignition Switch Problems
Hi

I'm back!

Took the 306 for an MOT today. They gave it back to me with a busted ignition switch tumbler!

When I insert the key and turn the key, I meet resistance and can't turn the key enough to release the steering lock. After 10 or so attempts I can finally release the steering lock and start the engine, but it is extremely hit or miss.

Has anyone had first hand experience of this problem?

I assume it is the tumbler at fault. But could it be something else?

Can I simply get a tumbler from another 306 and fit it in this 306? Or is there some coded stuff to prevent that. I don't mind having a key for the central locking and another key for the ignition. 

I have a spare 306 I am using for parts, so I can rob the key and bits off of that one if required.

Thanks

Steve
Thanks given by:
I managed to sort it out.

I fitted the ignition switch barrel assembly from the spare donor 306 I have.
I removed the circuit board and little black transponder chip from my existing key, and fitted those into the key that fits the donor barrel. 

A very small plastic lug had broken on the plastic electrical switch housing on the barrel assembly. I think the broken plastic lug was fouling the electrical switch mechanism and preventing it from turning properly. I removed the broken lug and the faulty barrel appears to work well again. I can't fathom out what the plastic lug does. It seems to cushion or locate the steering lock bar or something. 

I will keep the old barrel as a spare!

Thanks for looking.
Thanks given by:
I'd give cleaning & lubricating the barrel first n then consider replacing it if that doesn't help. Replacements are available, incl on eBay but I've no idea if they're anyy good..https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=peugeot+306+ignotion+switch&_trksid=p2322090.m4084.l1313

I had a similar issue but often couldn't remove the key. A good aquurt with some electrical contact cleaner & lubricant seemed to sort it out.
Thanks given by:
(28-12-2021, 09:01 AM)Mighty306 Wrote: I'd give cleaning & lubricating the barrel first n then consider replacing it if that doesn't help. Replacements are available, incl on eBay but I've no idea if they're anyy good..https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=peugeot+306+ignotion+switch&_trksid=p2322090.m4084.l1313

I had a similar issue but often couldn't remove the key. A good aquurt with some electrical contact cleaner & lubricant seemed to sort it out.

I oiled the key barrel, but that did not sort it out. As I say, the broken plastic tab seemed to be the cause of my problem.

Steve
Thanks given by: