306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
The Racetractor. The End. - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Photos and Projects (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: 306 Projects (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The Racetractor. The End. (/showthread.php?tid=8415)

RE: 2.1GTd....time for a new turbo... - lolsteve - 07-06-2015

Good effort Big Grin Shame you didn't clock the cooling issues before starting off, wasted a bit of your time and therefore $$
Impressed with the 125 man, must have been clenching hard when you have to brake

Did you get the starter solenoid sorted?

RE: 2.1GTd....time for a new turbo... - Piggy - 07-06-2015

(07-06-2015, 09:19 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Good effort Big Grin Shame you didn't clock the cooling issues before starting off, wasted a bit of your time and therefore $$
Impressed with the 125 man, must have been clenching hard when you have to brake

Did you get the starter solenoid sorted?

Tbh, I am pretty happy. Was a good development day tbh. Got lots of time on track, managed to find the weak points and will be moving forward nicely Smile 

Shame we didnt get to tussle a little more!

I was lifting first a little to be honest. Never got my chance to get into a flow with left foot braking as my gears were getting worse at high speed...turns out I had a loss of gear oil.

Nah, going on holiday tomorrow morning in the 206... next sat will do the starter, cv joint and gearbox seal ThumbsUp

(07-06-2015, 07:01 PM)Lwilliams Wrote: Piggy did notice you rad does look very thin... Anyway nice to see it in person and fair play 125 down the straight is good I get 120 ish... So quicker than ours. Our oil got to around 130 max we need to fit a oil cooler. Water temps were fine but nice to see it out there.

yeah but I kind of expected that top speed... but if I was following you elsewhere you would have annihilated me! you were rapid!

(07-06-2015, 09:04 PM)Ruan Wrote: I've said it before in here, the effort that goes into this car is unreal, there's not many people who go to the same level of detail in so many areas!!

Had a great (even if I could do with a new spine and some new ear drums...) drive down yesterday, James gave it some abuse on track, it highlighted a few problems that needed to be sorted, but the chassis and engine were performing brilliantly - just need to work on the cooling system, with the grill removed, things improved, which is a good sign, we're not limited by how much heat can be moved in the system, rather removing it once it's in the system! I think some shrouds to help force the air through the radiator would help, naturally having a knob off intercooler in the way doesn't help matters! Also an oil cooler going back on will help hugely to reduce the load on the cooling system.

Turbo control working great, few tweaks needed here and there, but working as intended and holding good exhaust and inlet pressure - response is pretty unreal, turbo is ready to go again after every gearchange, no hanging about!

Glad all the effort has paid off - it's definitely getting there!

thanks man. we are all but there tbh!

If I can nail the cooling and get it a tad lighter its done. I can really enjoy it then Smile

thanks to you and Tom as I said yesterday...coulda hugged you both really, big success in my mind for me. Been on days with dedicated track cars of much greater value and had less time on track and more time fixing the bloody thing!

[attachment=23654]

bloody van

RE: 2.1GTd....time for a new turbo... - adam b - 07-06-2015

Do you measure intake temps too? Just wondering if the car is running hot generally, not just due to less air getting to the radiator. As in is it running hot because of fuelling, turbo heating the intake air a lot, water cooling on the turbo etc etc ?

Tbh I don't know much about diesels, just what I'd look at on a petrol car - track obviously pushes them harder than normal...

RE: 2.1GTd....time for a new turbo... - Ruan - 08-06-2015

Although we've not monitored the inlet temperatures actively, the turbo is thankfully about one of the more efficient units you can get for a sane cost, especially with the new billet compressor on - with the intercooler, the charge temperatures should be down from everything we've seen, the charge temperatures don't affect the heat into the cooling system as much as simply burning the fuel - sadly it's a real problem with indirect injection engines, when the IQ goes up, the heat transferred to the cylinder head and cooling system just goes up and up exponentially, you're spraying fuel into a chamber in the cylinder head and allowing it to go through a relatively tiny orifice onto the piston crown - the chamber is made from Inconel to stop it getting destroyed, but the heat transfer when you've added 100% more power to the engine is just extreme, it was touch and go at the stock 110hp! Oil cooler I think will help massively, essentially this is running about the same cooling system as a stock GTi6 which doesn't have forced induction nor part of the combustion chamber inside the cylinder head.

Usually you can keep this under control on the road, but on track, naturally it stresses the cooling system to extremes. Also, yeah the turbo is water cooled, so that'll be adding stress to the cooling system. It's why most manufacturers went off indirect and went to DI motors with the advent of more powerful CAD/CAE/CFD modelling - although indirect as a theory is a better technology, it's just not practical.

RE: 2.1GTd....time for a new turbo... - Pebbles167 - 08-06-2015

Just out of interest, why would you want to do left foot braking? Unless it's an auto or you've got a sequential or a dog box?

Did you get any video's of it? I was on track at the same time and so never got a chance to watch. Annoying as I was really looking forward to it! I'm well and truly bitten by the diesel bug!

Car looked great on the stand and stuff though. Very professional job Wink

RE: 2.1GTd....time for a new turbo... - adam b - 08-06-2015

Deffo get an oil cooler in there. Even my 1 tonne standard engine'd gti6 runs 89 degrees water and 125 degrees oil without the cooler. That's without a bloody big intercooler in the way and no turbo in the engine bay to warm stuff up.

I'd also think about the oil type you use. Has made a big difference in my turbo cars before on track.

Thanks Ruan Smile
It's always worth measuring temp and pressure across an intercooler. You'd be amazed how rubbish some good looking coolers can be. We test what we use in work rigorously. Size isn't always as important as shape and the material it's made of... Obviously you don't need an anchor out front either or something that holds heat to transfer it to the radiator when stationary.

RE: 2.1GTd....time for a new turbo... - Piggy - 08-06-2015

ON the road, in an evening, we had the inatke pipe at under4 degrees. 20 degrees pre intercooler. So she is working pretty well. Im happy anyway. But as said, the rad is a stock rad and no added cooling...so this does need addressing. Once thats done, I think we be golden.

Oh I need some cooling too... flipping hot in there on track!

@pebbles, left foot braking. I just do it a lot on roads when I am having fun to dance the rear a little. But I dididnt get much chance as I was focusing on getting my braking/turning and apexs right. Hadnt had time also to start fiddling with the brake compensator. The first time I did, I went sideways.

RE: 2.1GTd....time for a new turbo... - adam b - 08-06-2015

It's why I use those stupid looking scoops on the window vents. They work but only when moving.
Been trying to justify a roof scoop for ages now!

RE: 2.1GTd....time for a new turbo... - Dum-Dum - 08-06-2015

I wish I'd known you wanted to monitor temps, I would of thrown you my IR thermometer that I had in the glove box.

RE: 2.1GTd....time for a new turbo... - Lwilliams - 08-06-2015

Still must be nice though knowing you can leave a stripped gti 6 Tongue (in a disiesal Wink)

RE: 2.1GTd....time for a new turbo... - silverzx - 08-06-2015

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271869895087

Your welcome.

RE: 2.1GTd....time for a new turbo... - Matt-Rallye - 08-06-2015

(08-06-2015, 01:17 PM)silverzx Wrote: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271869895087

Your welcome.

That is going to have the wankest piece of shit chinese core in the world!

Piggy i think something that would infinitely help you (and thus expand the potential of the engine / build / car) would be to get AH fabrications to make you up a custom aluminum radiator. Wouldnt even cost that much if you drop me a PM as Scott the tig welder there just happens to be one of my bitches Wink

RE: 2.1GTd....time for a new turbo... - Eeyore - 08-06-2015

not sure this was any faster round track than a 1.8? Big Grin

RE: 2.1GTd....time for a new turbo... - zx_volcane - 08-06-2015

Hats off to you Piggy

Car looked mint on stand, lots of effort to get into the french theme , info board on the wing, flags and everything - really did look good.

Obvs this was completely ruined by that cocking tyre van parking in front of it - a real shame.

Car is chronic too, goes very well, and you can really feel the difference with all the weight saving.

(08-06-2015, 02:31 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: That is going to have the wankest piece of shit chinese core in the world!

Piggy i think something that would infinitely help you (and thus expand the potential of the engine / build / car) would be to get AH fabrications to make you up a custom aluminum radiator. Wouldnt even cost that much if you drop me a PM as Scott the tig welder there just happens to be one of my bitches Wink

how much of a real world difference is a 'wanky' Chinese core going to make though? Correct me if i'm wrong, but radiator tech isn't massively complicated is it? and 52mm is fair thicker than stock and for £100 it has got to be worth a shout

RE: 2.1GTd....time for a new turbo... - 7057sam - 08-06-2015

(08-06-2015, 02:43 PM)Eeyore Wrote: not sure this was any faster round track than a 1.8? Big Grin

I was gonna say i was expecting a real fight to stay with you on track and all i seemed to do was pass you.maybe you was on cooling done laps?? 

Still its a great car and your top bloke,can't see the cooling issue taking to long to sort than we can have a round 2 Big Grin

RE: 2.1GTd....time for a new turbo... - bashbarnard - 08-06-2015

(08-06-2015, 04:20 PM)7057sam Wrote:
(08-06-2015, 02:43 PM)Eeyore Wrote: not sure this was any faster round track than a 1.8? Big Grin

I was gonna say i was expecting a real fight to stay with you on track and all i seemed to do was pass you.maybe you was on cooling done laps?? 

Still its a great car and your top bloke,can't see the cooling issue taking to long to sort than we can have a round 2 Big Grin

In fairness I was out with him and he was taking it easy. But my god on the straights it pulled well!!!

RE: 2.1GTd....time for a new turbo... - Piggy - 13-06-2015

Your welcome.

yeah I am already looking at one of these as chris lapit with the boosted gti6 uses one of these. The price and the fact that his 400bhp stays cool on track with it says a lot for me.

but thanks anyway Smile

(08-06-2015, 02:31 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote:

Your welcome.

That is going to have the wankest piece of shit chinese core in the world!

can he make one with a 52mm core for £95 or less!? if so, I am IN! and I'm quite sure if it was at that price then Tom maybe interested too

(08-06-2015, 04:05 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: Hats off to you Piggy

Car looked mint on stand, lots of effort to get into the french theme , info board on the wing, flags and everything - really did look good.

Obvs this was completely ruined by that cocking tyre van parking in front of it - a real shame.

Car is chronic too, goes very well, and you can really feel the difference with all the weight saving.

(08-06-2015, 02:31 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: That is going to have the wankest piece of shit chinese core in the world!

how much of a real world difference is a 'wanky' Chinese core going to make though? Correct me if i'm wrong, but radiator tech isn't massively complicated is it? and 52mm is fair thicker than stock and for £100 it has got to be worth a shout

yeah thanks man.

Yeah that van was a joke. When it first parked up I was like..."oh I'm sure its not permanent." then they got cones out and started making a racket with the tyre machine  Dodgy

I agree with the rad. Chris Lapit aint one to skimp tbh and it does him very well.

Yeah I was ready to come in on that lap, then once you passed me my temps had dropped and I hadnt really had a fight with anyone so I was like, bugger it, I'm having him...then I was all over you while that green 106 got in the way, then just as we approached the finish straight, you pulled into the pits, I was gutted! haha

My last session I was all on my own on track it felt, was epic. But had no one to play with!

Yeah I was ready to come in on that lap, then once you passed me my temps had dropped and I hadnt really had a fight with anyone so I was like, bugger it, I'm having him...then I was all over you while that green 106 got in the way, then just as we approached the finish straight, you pulled into the pits, I was gutted! haha

My last session I was all on my own on track it felt, was epic. But had no one to play with!

RE: 2.1GTd....time for a new turbo... - Matt-Rallye - 13-06-2015

Unfortunately i dont know enough about the tech side of this argument to sustain myself so i'll just say that my own personal experience has been pretty dire with cheap radiators / intercoolers.

Also i think i'll trust the guy that makes them for F1 cars and most major WRC cars, Hopefully he knows what hes talking about!

so the next stage...

has to be new radiator and rebuilt beam.

not sure I have the will to keep going....

RE: 2.1GTd....time for a new turbo... - Pebbles167 - 13-06-2015

There is an in car video on youtube from a clio 182 on the day, having trouble passing you on the straights. Fair play to him for not being a tosser in the corners either.

You got any driver cam of yours?

(13-06-2015, 08:32 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Unfortunately i dont know enough about the tech side of this argument to sustain myself so i'll just say that my own personal experience has been pretty dire with cheap radiators / intercoolers.

Also i think i'll trust the guy that makes them for F1 cars and most major WRC cars, Hopefully he knows what hes talking about!

find me a price fella??

As I will need to make some brackets and mod the bottom outlet on the 200sx rad anyway 

(13-06-2015, 08:37 AM)Pebbles167 Wrote: There is an in car video on youtube from a clio 182 on the day, having trouble passing you on the straights. Fair play to him for not being a tosser in the corners either.

You got any driver cam of yours?

oh cool...got a link??

There was a lot being muppets and undertaking and overtaking on corners.

Got some video...been on holiday...will upload some tonight

RE: 2.1GTd....FCS report, Pugfest prep... - mikey b - 13-06-2015

What did it weigh in the end chap 

RE: 2.1GTd....FCS report, Pugfest prep... - Piggy - 13-06-2015

(13-06-2015, 12:49 PM)mikey b Wrote: What did it weigh in the end chap 

not weighed again since the lexan. FG bonnet coming next week...will weigh again once painted and fitted

RE: 2.1GTd....FCS report, Pugfest prep... - procta - 13-06-2015

piggy I think you should build a space frame shell, and re shell it. Tongue

RE: 2.1GTd....FCS report, Pugfest prep... - Niall - 13-06-2015

Could you not look at a much shorter but much thicker rad? That way, the majority of the air will be flowing through the lower grill rather than a big portion of the rad being covered by the upper grill

RE: 2.1GTd....FCS report, Pugfest prep... - Piggy - 13-06-2015

(13-06-2015, 02:04 PM)Niall Wrote: Could you not look at a much shorter but much thicker rad? That way, the majority of the air will be flowing through the lower grill rather than a big portion of the rad being covered by the upper grill

yeah a 205 one would do that.
But I can get a bigger AND thicker rad in there. Using the 200sx one.

So win win. lol.

Chris did 167 miles on track...I'm sure he didnt hold back either... and it never went over 90 for him. I did 20min or so solid at end of session and it kept at JUSt below 100 with the grill out. So with better rad, and some slots in the grill and maybe a track headlight for n/s...we should be winning!

RE: 2.1GTd....FCS report, Pugfest prep... - Piggy - 14-06-2015

something I forgot to mention...

the gap between 2nd and 3rd in a hdi box isn't all that bad on the road... on track its horrific!!!

RE: 2.1GTd....FCS report, Pugfest prep... - Paul_13 - 14-06-2015

205 STDT rad would work. All the connections are the same size (or near enough) and they're twice as thick as a gti rad

RE: 2.1GTd....FCS report, Pugfest prep... - Piggy - 14-06-2015

(14-06-2015, 11:34 AM)Paul_13 Wrote: 205 STDT rad would work. All the connections are the same size (or near enough) and they're twice as thick as a gti rad

it's thicker...but it is smaller in dimensions. 

I'll be ordering the 200sx rad tomorrow after measuring it up today ThumbsUp

Had some tinker time today...

Took intake pipe off to take starter solenoid off...which went well and no starting issues now...but I found this...

[attachment=23791]

Basically little pools of gearbox oil. So my leak was not from the n/s shaft seal. Appears to be from the breather as it hasnt flicked from or to anywhere. very odd  Huh Open to ideas, but only one can come up with is over filled, so I am draining it dry and measuring what I get.

next up was o/s driveshaft...

[attachment=23792]

dead. Dodgy very dead. not smelt something so bad for quite some time. Annoyingly my spare is a different length with different sized bearings. So have to order a new one. doh.

My oil catch system is too restrictive I think and was causing some back pressure...so temp measure...

[attachment=23793]

And finally found out why the new replacement EGt gauge stopped working...

[attachment=23794]

lmao

Been like that since the wednesday before FCS! Would explain the high pitch whistle at full boost, I just assumed one of my bad welds again! Thankfully found a new olive in my bits n bobs drawer.

So need to order new shaft and hope that the gearbox was simply a little overfilled.

Tomorrow also ordering:

Rebuilt rear axle tube
200SX rad + pipe
Some more lexan for some window sliders
Paint for FG bonnet which SHOULD arrive early this week!

Smile

RE: 2.1GTd....FCS report, Pugfest prep... - mr_fish - 16-06-2015

(14-06-2015, 10:25 AM)Piggy Wrote: something I forgot to mention...

the gap between 2nd and 3rd in a hdi box isn't all that bad on the road... on track its horrific!!!

Not that I have driven a track much (well literally just the parade laps) I can totally agree with you here.

that shaft definitely had a hard time.

Will be interested for the weighing after the FG bonnet fitting.