306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
The Racetractor. The End. - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Photos and Projects (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: 306 Projects (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The Racetractor. The End. (/showthread.php?tid=8415)

Re: GTD 2.1- could be dead. bubbling like a bottle of coke - CJ_Derv - 08-09-2013

Do your heaters blow red hot? Simple question but I blew 2 head gaskets because matrix was partially blocked and caused head to warp

Re: GTD 2.1- could be dead. bubbling like a bottle of coke - kentiiboii - 08-09-2013

Looking good. Best Idea I like to use is put a 2litre Cola bottle in water tank fill it so water Levels are above the highest bleed point. Pushes it out that way

GTD 2.1- could be dead. bubbling like a bottle of coke - devils_fuel - 08-09-2013

(08-09-2013, 05:26 PM)Piggy Wrote: I feel like a dumbass...this isnt exactly my first time!!! but im just so exhausted and doubtful of my own abilities.

brand new coolant in there...was a clean flushed system anyway.

I bled it and left it overnight. then started it just to move it 20yds and this happened

It's a silly question but did you use the bleed nipples when you bled it?

Did you also flush things out like the heater box before reassembling?

As CJ said is the heater hot??

RE: GTD 2.1- could be dead. bubbling like a bottle of coke - Piggy - 08-09-2013

all pipes get hot very fast.

did all the usual tricks

result:

[Image: th_20130908_191242_zps33c2d8c3.jpg]

head coming off early tomorrow. have a good look and get in to a skim n test asap

RE: GTD 2.1- HG/Head gone. video proof. sucks to be me - Chris_90 - 08-09-2013

(08-09-2013, 07:58 PM)Piggy Wrote: all pipes get hot very fast.

did all the usual tricks

result:

[Image: th_20130908_191242_zps33c2d8c3.jpg]

head coming off early tomorrow. have a good look and get in to a skim n test asap

Wasn't the head skimmed and tested when you built it?

RE: GTD 2.1- HG/Head gone. video proof. sucks to be me - Piggy - 08-09-2013

No Sad

.....waits for abuse.

I had no reason to skim in and test it. It came from a running car and was removed cold. Lesson learnt.

Although if I had been back in Hereford I would have done it, coz I know the firm, would have done it for me for a few beers...but I know no one round these parts

RE: GTD 2.1- HG/Head gone. video proof. sucks to be me - ozonehostile - 08-09-2013

Such a bugger mate, at least you've ruled everything out now and it's definitely the headgasket. Pray that it is that and not cracked/warped :-\

can't see how I will have warped it.

if its cracked....8v head ninja

GTD 2.1- HG/Head gone. video proof. sucks to be me - devils_fuel - 08-09-2013

Oh mate...

I can imagine you're quietly frustrated lol

Chin up fella, at least this has all happened at this stage rather than on the road !

Ozone said that...but at least if it had gone on the road, I would have driven it and maybe given it the beans, a reason why its gone etc.

but less than 5mins of idling, immediate failure just shows Im a massive moronic failure and this whole rebuild was to prove I could do something by myself and succeed.

So thats all gone down the pan....along with any strain of pride I had

RE: GTD 2.1- HG/Head gone. video proof. sucks to be me - rd070707 - 08-09-2013

Chin up dude its just a mistake lol you will get there in the end then you will be damn proud Smile

RE: GTD 2.1- HG/Head gone. video proof. sucks to be me - cwspellowe - 08-09-2013

Strange, when it happened to me I had a rep lingering round me of being the guy who blew a headgasket after a massively drawn out build thread.

I hereby officially pass the torch to you sir. Handle it with care.

(08-09-2013, 08:59 PM)Piggy Wrote: Ozone said that...but at least if it had gone on the road, I would have driven it and maybe given it the beans, a reason why its gone etc.

but less than 5mins of idling, immediate failure just shows Im a massive moronic failure and this whole rebuild was to prove I could do something by myself and succeed.

So thats all gone down the pan....along with any strain of pride I had

I hate to ask this...but have you built many engines before? An engine builder would have checked the head with a straight edge before rebuilding, It's a learning curve and you cannot buy experience

chin up, what you've done so far is an awesome job rebuilding the 5 dr Smile

straight edge was used...was an old one mind.

yeah been a couple of years...but built a few!!!

(08-09-2013, 09:17 PM)Piggy Wrote: straight edge was used...was an old one mind.

yeah been a couple of years...but built a few!!!

Chin up fella, these things are meant to try us lol

Micky manstone is worth it Wink

RE: GTD 2.1- HG/Head gone. video proof. sucks to be me - darrenjlobb - 08-09-2013

tbh i skim everything these days to avoid issues, as is so often the case with these ally heads...

BUt it could be nothing to do with the fact it wasnt skimmed...dont shoot yourself down, its a good build, no one learns anything without f*ck ups...so look at it in a positive way...

Im just upset with myself.

If I had done skim n test...I then couldnt really fault myself...but I didnt so I can.

thanks for input darren.

ruan was meant to be popping in today...never turned up...but would have been a wasted journey if he had!

RE: GTD 2.1- HG/Head gone. video proof. sucks to be me - ozonehostile - 08-09-2013

I've thought more about your car today than my own haha.

Racking my brains for anything that could possibly go wrong with an engine ever that isn't the headgasket. At least we ruled everything out yeah?

its the HG mate.

if its got a bill, webbed feet and quacks...its a duck.

RE: GTD 2.1- HG/Head gone. video proof. sucks to be me - cwspellowe - 08-09-2013

(08-09-2013, 09:42 PM)Piggy Wrote: if its got duck feet, webbed feet and quacks...its any southern 18 year old girl on Instagram

EFA

RE: GTD 2.1- HG/Head gone. video proof. sucks to be me - Dum-Dum - 08-09-2013

Mmmmmmm boosted coolant.

Are you confident you tightened up the head bolts properly?

RE: GTD 2.1- HG/Head gone. video proof. sucks to be me - Tom - 08-09-2013

(08-09-2013, 09:24 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: no one learns anything without f*ck ups...so look at it in a positive way...

This! So f*cking true, i have f*cked up loads, best way to learn. Atleast you built up the engine so your not going into it blind so to speak, should be a quickish job!

yeah. not too bad a job.
up early. be off for bait time

RE: GTD 2.1- HG/Head gone. video proof. sucks to be me - lolsteve - 08-09-2013

(08-09-2013, 09:44 PM)cwspellowe Wrote:
(08-09-2013, 09:42 PM)Piggy Wrote: if its got duck feet, webbed feet and quacks...its any southern 18 year old girl on Instagram

EFA

More like Norfolk girl XD

Don't mean to hit you when you're down but..the mg's headgasket is still in one piece whistle

RE: GTD 2.1- HG/Head gone. video proof. sucks to be me - Poodle - 09-09-2013

Flol Steve, remind me not to give you any more abuse about hgs. :/

Bad news fella, don't let it get you down though, there are always set-backs with builds like this. Look on the bright side - at least this issue was easy to trace! A look at my 205 thread might make you feel better. Wink

RE: GTD 2.1- HG/Head gone. video proof. sucks to be me - Chris_90 - 09-09-2013

(08-09-2013, 08:50 PM)Piggy Wrote: No Sad

.....waits for abuse.

I had no reason to skim in and test it. It came from a running car and was removed cold. Lesson learnt.

Although if I had been back in Hereford I would have done it, coz I know the firm, would have done it for me for a few beers...but I know no one round these parts

I was gonna give abuse, but if i was in your situation I would have given up by now lol, just crack on and hope a skim etc fixes it good luck with it all, I'm only doing same with the 6 never done anything like this before its a steep learning curve but if I pull it off will be proud of what I have achieved and I'm sure you will be with this Big Grin

RE: GTD 2.1- HG/Head gone. video proof. sucks to be me - Grant - 09-09-2013

This is a real shame dude. But as others have said, think of it as a learning curve. The game isn't over, it just needs a bit more time spent on it to get it 100%. Everything about this screams awesome, and the attention to detail is great. Don't give up at the last hurdle Smile

RE: GTD 2.1- HG/Head gone. video proof. sucks to be me - Piggy - 09-09-2013

thanks guys.

not a great start today....its peeing down Doh

Re: GTD 2.1- HG/Head gone. video proof. sucks to be me - CJ_Derv - 09-09-2013

Always get these heads pressure tested bud, I usually pay 50/60 quid for skim and test and valve re seating

Ive never had a tested head fail so early ive had them lift and re torqued and topped coolant and carried on as normal but for it to pressurise like it is makes me think maybe cracked or warped head

Dont give up to my rebuild did 17 miles and failed due to faulty head work snapped cam but luckily bottom end was fine my head place ive used for 6 years did the whole job under warranty tho

RE: GTD 2.1- HG/Head gone. video proof. sucks to be me - Piggy - 09-09-2013

cool

valves have a been ground in, so just a case of skim n test.
hoping I just find a ruined gasket...but will still do head.

spent most of day trying to work in rain then doing 106nad clutch...ruddy ek, I rekon a 306 clutch is easier to do!