306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
The Racetractor. The End. - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Photos and Projects (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: 306 Projects (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: The Racetractor. The End. (/showthread.php?tid=8415)

RE: The Racetractor...FCS wounded - Seb_Ryan - 08-06-2016

That gasless weld? And have a look at saabs, some had front and rear ducts for braking

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

RE: The Racetractor...FCS wounded - Piggy - 08-06-2016

Yeah, flux cored cheap gasless.

Its fixed now. Horrific welding. Genuinely think jubilee and exhaust paste would have looked better.
I honestly am so ashamed of my welding...I want to do so much better Sad

Going to make a heat shield for that elbow, protect the pipework around but allow that elbow to breath a bit

RE: The Racetractor...FCS wounded - insomaniac45 - 09-06-2016

Mate, if you want to better at welding, get rid of the gassless mig. Having used both myself it is 10times harder to get a nice bead on with gassless, you may as well go stick!!

Gas is not that expensive esp if you get the CO2 from a pub Smile argon is the better choice I have found so I only use that, but I can only get it from halfrauds.

I just bought a cheap 2nd hand mig of gumtree, had it about 3 years now and it has never let me down. Cost me about £50. And guess what..... I can actually weld with that....

It is all about current and feed, just remember it needs to sound like sizzling bacon ha ha ha

RE: The Racetractor...FCS wounded - ozonehostile - 09-06-2016

Or bring stuff to me to weld Wink

RE: The Racetractor...FCS wounded - Piggy - 09-06-2016

Yeah occasionally I can get it sounding like a good fryup...rare though.
Need to get on the hunt...always concerns me how to get the argon though.

Took for a spin...exhaust banging sorted...got a bad clonk from suspension n/s though

RE: The Racetractor...FCS wounded - insomaniac45 - 09-06-2016

It's £15 from halfords or £10 from their web page, these are the small bottles 750g approx but more than sufficient for the odd job here and there, if your doing a big job like seam welding the sub frame 1 fresh bottle should do it, with a little left over. If they are not to your taking, you can get them easy enough from your local bottled gas supplier my local is SGS I am pretty sure there must be one near you as they are nation wide Smile

Trust me, you will never go back to gassless Tongue

Also...
Brake wobble. Despite our efforts, seems when I cooked the brakes, I warped the discs. Shame as discs only done couple thou...may ask local engineering firm if they can stick them on a lath perhaps?

RE: The Racetractor...FCS wounded - welshpug - 09-06-2016

quite unlikely they are warped, probably pad deposits if you cooked them.

a skim and re-bed the pads should sort it.

Yeah tiz what I'm thinking...pretty violent mind under hard braking

But skim...still wants removing and giving to engineer right?

RE: The Racetractor...FCS wounded - Matt-Rallye - 10-06-2016

Sack them off and buy 4 pots...

RE: The Racetractor...FCS wounded - Piggy - 10-06-2016

(10-06-2016, 07:23 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Sack them off and buy 4 pots...

To have lots of squeal, less space behind the wheels and no real benefit?

RE: The Racetractor...FCS wounded - Toms306 - 10-06-2016

They look cool though...

(10-06-2016, 07:57 AM)Piggy Wrote:

Wanna borrow my wilwoods for a week then try to honestly repeat that stupid claim?

(10-06-2016, 08:20 AM)Matt-Rallye Wrote:

Wanna borrow my wilwoods for a week then try to honestly repeat that stupid claim?

But there will be less space, admittedly I just assumed you meant brembos (squealarific) and I genuinely don't think the tyres would put up with more braking force.

The gti6 calipers with those pads were just amazing...just got too hot, due to the wheels imho

Out of curiosity though...what is clearance like, servicing like and pad prices like?
You use standard discs?

RE: The Racetractor...FCS wounded - zx_volcane - 10-06-2016

(09-06-2016, 11:38 PM)Piggy Wrote: Yeah tiz what I'm thinking...pretty violent mind under hard braking

But skim...still wants removing and giving to engineer right?

wire wool and brake cleaner should pull of deposits without having to get the discs on a lathe

Sounds mad...
I was even considering putting some fine wet n dry between pad and disc, water spray, jack up front and let engine spin over?!?!

(10-06-2016, 09:58 AM)Piggy Wrote:

But there will be less space, admittedly I just assumed you meant brembos (squealarific) and I genuinely don't think the tyres would put up with more braking force.

The gti6 calipers with those pads were just amazing...just got too hot, due to the wheels imho

Out of curiosity though...what is clearance like, servicing like and pad prices like?
You use standard discs?

Clearance is good, using 5mm spacers to clear clones...

uses rallydesign discs, servicing is so simple, one sprung clip efficiently retains the pads, Tom is running same setup on his ZX with the same wheels as you and has no cooking issues which i believe answers the question at hand.

RE: The Racetractor...FCS wounded - Ruan - 10-06-2016

Heat has to go somewhere, changing the calipers and discs won't resolve that.

C5s are notorious for brake cooling problems.

RE: The Racetractor...FCS wounded - welshpug - 10-06-2016

those tyres will be fine with lots more braking force if the suspension is also decent.

adamB has 310mm brembos with same tyres.

RE: The Racetractor...FCS wounded - Niall - 10-06-2016

(10-06-2016, 09:58 AM)Piggy Wrote:

You use standard discs?

Sorry dude but several things. Firstly, RS brembos dont squeal at all. Secondly, i think you'd be surprised how much extra breaking force the tyres will withstand. Mine used to stop on a pin in a substantially shorter distance than on 6 brakes. Im sure Trent will agree it stops well. I never ever had heat related issues and i used to drive it like a right wanker at times.
Clearance is an issue. Mine were 305mm and i had about 1mm clearance under the Turinis. Pads, i used genuine brembo pads and they were £45 from GSF. Discs i used punto abarth discs and again genuine brembo ones were £110 so really maintenance costs were quite cheap!

Ok...but "pug" brembos do squeal.
Everything else is expensive to buy on setup...not investing more in this now.
And duno if can ask trent...has he been able to drive it yet Tongue
Take on board useful info/experience though ThumbsUp

RE: The Racetractor...FCS wounded - Stef205 - 10-06-2016

skyline "brembos" dont squeal either lmao

RE: The Racetractor...FCS wounded - Niall - 10-06-2016

Come to think of it, I know of no brembos at all that squeal with the exception of 406 ones. Must of been peugeots input haha

RE: The Racetractor...FCS wounded - Toms306 - 10-06-2016

Why would there be any more squeal? Grease them up and they'll be quiet? Or is it squealy pad material, chose different pads if so lol...

The Racetractor...FCS wounded - deggerz - 10-06-2016

Tbf I'm not entirely sure your wheels are the issue, I'm using the same pads on my Megane and cooked them within 5 laps, ds2500 are absolute gash imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(10-06-2016, 09:33 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Why would there be any more squeal?  Grease them up and they'll be quiet?  Or is it squealy pad material, chose different pads if so lol...

Duno...never fully been realised...
I've known them squeal on 307/106 and even on the coupé 406 they sit on originally

By no means with that statement am I saying that more cooling won't be beneficial but the they're a fairly tame pad for track use

(10-06-2016, 09:35 PM)deggerz Wrote: Tbf I'm not entirely sure your wheels are the issue, I'm using the same pads on my Megane and cooked them within 5 laps, ds2500 are absolute gash imho

You use the ds2500 or ds2500r... As I believe they are different....

Curious though if you genuinely had them smoking like I did

There is no such thing as the ds2500r the ® pad from ferodo is the ds3000, but yes I also had them smoking the same as yourself, I've also had them in that state on the road, if ventilation doesn't solve your issues I would personally look into some ds1.11 or some CL5+ if they're made for the gti Calipers

RE: The Racetractor...FCS wounded - Piggy - 11-06-2016

Oh really...ok ,good info ThumbsUp

Just reading up on Ferrodo website...
Ds2500 fade/fail after 500 degrees...can I really have got them that hot?!
Ds1.11 seem the dogs danglys. Long life, kind to discs and a 200-700 windkw.
They do make them for the 306... £150+ postage.
Think they be a swap for the day pad, not for road