306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
MX5 turbo on the road again....... - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Marques (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: Projects (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: MX5 turbo on the road again....... (/showthread.php?tid=804)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Re: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - Fozzy - 16-05-2012

£21 plus postage

im going to guess im going to have to rebuild it though, but may be lucky, although it all a learning process.

Re: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - Ben Jay - 16-05-2012

Fozzy Wrote:£21 plus postage

im going to guess im going to have to rebuild it though, but may be lucky, although it all a learning process.

nice!

Re: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - mark_airey - 16-05-2012

This got interesting all of a sudden Smile

Re: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - samass - 16-05-2012

mark_airey Wrote:This got interesting all of a sudden Smile

quite! Big Grin

Re: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - Fozzy - 16-05-2012

The idea is really good, but doing on a budget means it will take time and most likely the only interesting bti will be when i finish collecting and fit it.

Ive already found the Manifold, but its cheaper for me to buy one from america for a T3 and then Buy and adaptor for the T25

Like this
[Image: 131860219.jpg]

The downpipe will most likely be custom made (i think i know someone who can do that)

Need to wait for a second hand decent rising rate fuel pressure regulator to come up as im not planning any stand alone ecu quite yet until i get the basics up and running.

Oil lines need to be made, and few other bits need doing/purchasing. Im still reading up on it all.

I wont need a FMIC unless i up boost above 6psi i think, if i plan on that i will very likely need the 1.8 diff and 1.8 flywheel and uprated clutch to take the power.

So so much to look for. Im can see myself buying a 1.8 breaker at some point.

Re: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - samass - 16-05-2012

sounds like good plans, how much do you reckon it'll set you back in total, if you dont mind my asking?

I havn't added up what its going to cost, the maifold and adaptor will set me back about £150

Probably another £100 of pressure regulator

And thats probably not even the start of the cost i have left

thats not too bad for a mani, is it? i always thought things like that were in the region of 3-400.. but having said that, i can see how thats gunna add up quickly! much a case of buy one thing a month for the next year or so eh heh

Well if i buy the manifold in the UK for the t25 will cost £295 plus postage, hence the buy from US and adaptor, shipping fees/tax is included so no nasty surprises there. Its also the cast manifold which apparently much better and not prone to cracking as much as the cheap stainless ones that are sold on ebay.

A kit can be bought for £1500 thats the basic kit like what im trying to collect parts to make my own.
Link:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mazda-MX5-Mk1 ... 527wt_1260

I Hope to half that cost by buying second hand known good parts, but i may be being too optimistic.

Like you say buying one thing a month until i have the lot.

ah good deal on buying from across the pond then!

to be fair, that kits doesnt look too bad for the money, but i like trying to get stuff cheaper! good luck to you man, i dont see why you wont be able to save a fair bit of cash over that kit by buying secondhand, specially if you're in no rush and can wait for the bargains

Yeah, im always on ebay looking for bargains, so fingers crossed.

Re: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - Fozzy - 21-05-2012

[Image: Photo0850.jpg]

well my gamble of hopefully getting a decent turbo failed miserably. I was counting on shaft play but i wasn't expecting the fins to be f*cked too Sad

[Image: Photo0849.jpg]

I guess its rebuild time.

Re: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - mark_airey - 21-05-2012

Yeah that compressor wheel has seen better days! lol

Re: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - Fozzy - 21-05-2012

I think the hole turbo has seen better days, am i right in thinking if i rebuild it and include a new compressor wheel i should be ok? Or do i turn this into i nice door stop and just buy another know good turbo second hand.

Kits i've seen on ebay are about £40-50 and compressor wheel about £40

Re: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - 4WayDiablo - 21-05-2012

[Image: 401232_10150569452141170_741841169_89349...0590_n.jpg]

Hehe, i dont think ide be allowed to have that in the house.

Re: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - vlj - 21-05-2012

Bring this down to Portsmouth when it's working/better/finished! You've had a chance to bask in the glory of my Reanult Scenic, I should get to see this!

Re: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - WiNgNuTz - 21-05-2012

4WayDiablo Wrote:[Image: 401232_10150569452141170_741841169_89349...0590_n.jpg]
Ha ha, nice one 4way!

Just read through this whole thread, and i never thought id like an MX-5 as much as i like this one! Doing a good job on it Fozzy. Smile
Shame about the turbo, but i admire your determination in finding cheap parts. Unfortunately this is the risk you run with cheap parts though, but it doesnt always turn out bad.

Keep up the good work, and i look forward to seeing more of it! Big Grin :thumbup:

Yeah the Scenic is my inspiration hehe. Its going to be a long time before the turbo gets fitted, well unless i sell you lots of things so i can afford more parts.

Fozzy Wrote:Yeah the Scenic is my inspiration hehe. Its going to be a long time before the turbo gets fitted, well unless i sell you lots of things so i can afford more parts.

By the sounds of it you will have to start selling me your cars to be able to afford this stuff!

In that case up for sale

Half complete roll caged Gti6 track car very light weight powered by an empty bay

Details: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=237" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=20&t=237</a><!-- l -->

WiNgNuTz Wrote:Just read through this whole thread, and i never thought id like an MX-5 as much as i like this one! Doing a good job on it Fozzy. Smile
Shame about the turbo, but i admire your determination in finding cheap parts. Unfortunately this is the risk you run with cheap parts though, but it doesnt always turn out bad.

Keep up the good work, and i look forward to seeing more of it! Big Grin :thumbup:

Thanks, if you like this mx5, you haven't seen the half of how good they can look.

Yeah it was a gable i took, i think the guy knew it was knackered so decided to say he didn't know its condition. Oh well im considering seeing if i can get a T3 compressor cheap from a friend and making this into a T28

Re: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - Ruan - 21-05-2012

Please don't use an old T series turbo...

They are really crap... Get yourself a GT25 or similar, even get yourself a Mitsubishi TD04L-13T off a WRX, would be absoultely perfect for this project, much stronger than the T series, spool quicker, more efficient and way more plentiful, a 13t is the turbo NO ONE wants, everyone upgrades them!

I went for the T25 as that seems to be the one that mx5 conversions eem to use, and was easy enough to get a manifold to fit it. Im not too clued up on turbo's im a beginner on boost. what would be the difference between the gt25 and t25

Re: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - Ruan - 21-05-2012

If you make it to the end of my pm without topping yourself, fair play! It kinda explains in there!

I haven't topped myself yet, but i think the cost of the rebalancing puts me off rebuilding this turbo, i think its too far gone to warrant that cost. Sad

Fozzy Wrote:In that case up for sale

Half complete roll caged Gti6 track car very light weight powered by an empty bay

Details: <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=237" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=20&t=237</a><!-- l -->

Must be pretty quick with the weight you've shed off of it!

Shame it doesn't have an engine.... you know I want a 6

Re: No hairdressing equipment left in this vehicle overnight - Ed Doe - 21-05-2012

lol not with an empty bay I'm betting!!!

Ed Doe Wrote:lol not with an empty bay I'm betting!!!

I was thinking just grind out the floor beneath me and go Flinstones style, might save a bit on the insurance

Yeah one human power is all you need.

Just bought one of these for the mx5

[Image: FPR004.jpg]