306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
New Battery Terminals - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: 306 Repairs & Mods (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: Electrics (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: New Battery Terminals (/showthread.php?tid=5520)

New Battery Terminals - MissTap_GTI6 - 13-08-2012

After recently finding out my terminals are becoming fairly crap and cutting the car out, i need some new terminals.

There are a a load on eBay but which are the best to go for??

Thanks! Angel

RE: New Battery Terminals - 4WayDiablo - 13-08-2012

Metal ones? I'm fairly sure that any of them will do tbh

RE: New Battery Terminals - Niall - 13-08-2012

Is it pos or neg causing the problem? The positive terminal is actually a very good design on 306s if it looks corroded, just take some boiling water to it and a wire brush.

If yours is like mine, the neg terminal will be slightly too big. Problem with just cutting them off and fitting bolt on ones is where the wire is clamped in with screws, you never get as good a connection which can lead to problems eventually. If it is the negative, you could either take it off (it's just bolted onto the box and battery) and file a bit out of the expansion gap so you can tighten it up more or go and buy a new earth loom from pug (about £40). I always try and avoid "screw on" terminals.

RE: New Battery Terminals - Popeye_6 - 13-08-2012

you could always give the ones youve got a bloody good clean with a wire brush and refit them with vaseline. youd be surprised at the difference it can make.

(13-08-2012, 07:15 PM)BlackSix Wrote: you could always give the ones youve got a bloody good clean with a wire brush and refit them with vaseline. youd be surprised at the difference it can make.

Yep well worth doing. I do recommend modifying the neg terminal as they arnt the best design.

RE: New Battery Terminals - rocker8742 - 13-08-2012

tbh i thought peugeots design of the pos terminal is pretty poor if mines standard as it doesnt get much of a contact?

Is yours the quick release one? There is a bit that can fall out which means it doesn't grip very tightly.

RE: New Battery Terminals - puglove - 13-08-2012

I changed mine for quick release ones as my 6 sits for weeks at a time and the battery goes flat, but i must say the contact seems much better and i just used halfords specials

RE: New Battery Terminals - rocker8742 - 13-08-2012

Got the screw thread on top of the terminal

Similar to this

RE: New Battery Terminals - darrenjlobb - 14-08-2012

Either replace with OEM bits if you want easy removal, or if you just wanna replace them with something else, get ones with a bolt clamp down rather than silly screws, as they will clamp the cable 100 times better and get no issues, like these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Angle-Car-Marine-Battery-Terminals-Clamps-/230800304571?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35bcc529bb

Can get quick clamp versions to like:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-QUICK-RELEASE-UNIVERSAL-H-DUTY-CAR-BATTERY-TERMINAL-CLAMPS-EASY-FIT-/330778086011?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d03e90a7b#ht_547wt_699

RE: New Battery Terminals - Popeye_6 - 14-08-2012

darrens top link...those ones are great ive used them before

RE: New Battery Terminals - Matt - 14-08-2012

Neg terminal slightly too big? Would this cause the car to cut out while driving?

RE: New Battery Terminals - rocker8742 - 14-08-2012

(14-08-2012, 12:59 PM)Matt Wrote: Neg terminal slightly too big? Would this cause the car to cut out while driving?

Had it on mine before where it worked itself loose and cut out...

New Battery Terminals - MissTap_GTI6 - 14-08-2012

Thanks so much for all your help guys! I'll look into all your responses and sort the gti out! It cut out yesterday when I was driving (which wasn't very nice) Sad

RE: New Battery Terminals - Matt - 14-08-2012

I thought mine was the icv, although cleaned it like a bitch, did it just as much, without so much as a hint of temporary fix, and I did notice my neg battery terminal was slightly loose

RE: New Battery Terminals - rocker8742 - 14-08-2012

Anyone used these before? :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140653165150?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

New Battery Terminals - MissTap_GTI6 - 14-08-2012

When the gti didn't start the for the first time last week; I called breakdown as it was completely dead and I didn't know what else to do, after a bit of head scratching he then tightened the battery terminal and it started fine. Yesterday the gti didn't start again, the terminal was tight (giggedy) but then Ginge moved some cables around and it started... :/

RE: New Battery Terminals - Popeye_6 - 14-08-2012

sounds like a bad earth more than a poor battery connection then. might be corroded to hell and back. id still suggest cleaning them up and lubing with vaseline (giggedy back at ya)

RE: New Battery Terminals - Eeyore - 16-08-2012

(14-08-2012, 01:48 PM)MissTait_GTI6 Wrote: When the gti didn't start the for the first time last week; I called breakdown as it was completely dead and I didn't know what else to do, after a bit of head scratching he then tightened the battery terminal and it started fine. Yesterday the gti didn't start again, the terminal was tight (giggedy) but then Ginge moved some cables around and it started... :/

mine has been doing the same recently. Ever since i swapped it for my speedboat battery. I havent done the terminals up tight enough so its definitely a problem. Quite a big affect for something so small~!

RE: New Battery Terminals - ginge191 - 16-08-2012

Where are the main earth points to check??

RE: New Battery Terminals - Tom - 19-08-2012

One on the gearbox i think.. but i'd check the main one off the neg battery terminal first. Theres another somewhere but im not that clued up tbh lol

RE: New Battery Terminals - Ruan - 19-08-2012

If it's cutting out then it's losing it's engine earth... The battery can be completely removed and it'll still run happily of it's own alternator juice...

RE: New Battery Terminals - ginge191 - 19-08-2012

Hmm I think a check of the earth would be a wise place to start; I'm sure Haynes/handbook will have some more info

RE: New Battery Terminals - Glen306 - 20-08-2012

upgrade ur - cable to better and go from battery to chassie battery to gearbox and gear box to chassie this will help wiht the new terminal as well

RE: New Battery Terminals - Popeye_6 - 20-08-2012

the main ones are :

battery to gearbox, battery to inner chassis leg and theres another one down there too