306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Performance Rads - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Engines (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: XU Petrol Engines (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: Performance Rads (/showthread.php?tid=37158)

Performance Rads - PUGNUT_XS - 12-12-2018

Does anybody know of anywhere that make a performance alloy radiator for the 306?.

RE: Performance Rads - Eeyore - 12-12-2018

Stef may be the person to ask. Im sure he has something special on his sc gti6 205.

RE: Performance Rads - PUGNUT_XS - 12-12-2018

(12-12-2018, 12:07 PM)Eeyore Wrote: Stef may be the person to ask. Im sure he has something special on his sc gti6 205.

Cheers

I was running a GTI-6 Rad which was ok but i need something to keep on top of the cooling now the turbo boost has been turned up as well as the up-rated cam.  Wondering if i can use a 306 Non AC diesel Rad if it has bigger or more cores in it.

RE: Performance Rads - Ruan - 12-12-2018

In honesty, the water cooling system radiator shouldn't really need an upgrade with the extra power, as long as your oil temperatures are kept under control with an appropriately sized oil cooler, that'll keep the strain off the water cooling system, the amount of extra cooling the water cooling system does is fairly minimal compared to the oil system, it's just that you usually see the heat coming from the oil being dumped into the water, which then can't cope.

You usually see issues when the oil starts to get excessively hot, which then passes that heat via the oil-water heat exchanger (note I say exchanger, not cooler, it's purpose is two fold, to warm the oil during the warmup phase and to cool the oil during normal running) which isn't designed to take the amount of heat you're putting into it. The main thing to make sure is that your intercooler isn't covering the core too much or there's gaps at the edges that are allowing the cooling air to just pass around the edges and to install an oil cooler with thermostatic plate.

RE: Performance Rads - Eeyore - 12-12-2018

yes 100% make sure its a thermostatic plate then it will open and close with heat which means the engine will warm up as expected. Piggy did a good amount of work making a metal shroud to duct air into intercooler and radiators. If you mount intercoolers and radiators together make sure they are very close otherwise the flow isnt as good (apparently).

RE: Performance Rads - PUGNUT_XS - 12-12-2018

(12-12-2018, 01:41 PM)Ruan Wrote: In honesty, the water cooling system radiator shouldn't really need an upgrade with the extra power, as long as your oil temperatures are kept under control with an appropriately sized oil cooler, that'll keep the strain off the water cooling system, the amount of extra cooling the water cooling system does is fairly minimal compared to the oil system, it's just that you usually see the heat coming from the oil being dumped into the water, which then can't cope.

You usually see issues when the oil starts to get excessively hot, which then passes that heat via the oil-water heat exchanger (note I say exchanger, not cooler, it's purpose is two fold, to warm the oil during the warmup phase and to cool the oil during normal running) which isn't designed to take the amount of heat you're putting into it. The main thing to make sure is that your intercooler isn't covering the core too much or there's gaps at the edges that are allowing the cooling air to just pass around the edges and to install an oil cooler with thermostatic plate.

Thanks for the info. I am going to be running it on water-less coolant too. I have a good gap between the intercooler and the rad so i think that will do. I will keep an eye on the oil temps. I ran it on Silkolene before and it coped fine. I will look at a oil cooler.

RE: Performance Rads - Ruan - 12-12-2018

I would strongly advise against waterless coolant - it's specific heat is less than that of water and doesn't fix any problems, it only masks them. The only thing it's got is that it doesn't boil until a much higher temperature, but the whole point is that water under 1bar pressure doesn't boil until 120*C, even higher if you've got anti-freeze/coolant in. It doesn't fix overheating in any way at all, it merely stops you noticing.

Evans stops your coolant from overheating, it does not prevent your engine from overheating. If you're getting to the point of it boiling off the coolant, then you've got a vastly bigger problem Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VACKWvcXbXA

RE: Performance Rads - Stef205 - 13-12-2018

I've got a 70mm deep core in my 205, it was made by my friend at jek fabrications. A decent core is key to a radiator. Mine was designed with space in mind but with the thick core it cools twice as much water at once due to being in a smaller space. I do have a 4mm hole In the stay this helps bleeding and constantly keeps the water flowing. A decent fan helps I upgraded from a cheap ebay fan to a spal fan which was like night and day.

RE: Performance Rads - welshpug - 13-12-2018

im running a 205 rad with a 240 bhp 2.2, no cooling issues, I had a stock gti6 rad when it was a 200 bhp 2.0.

i know guys running nigh on 300 bhp na 2.0's with stock niasens 205 rads.

RE: Performance Rads - Stef205 - 14-12-2018

Na engines don't create no where near the same heat as boosted engines

RE: Performance Rads - PUGNUT_XS - 20-12-2018

(13-12-2018, 09:56 PM)Stef205 Wrote: I've got a 70mm deep core in my 205, it was made by my friend at jek fabrications. A decent core is key to a radiator. Mine was designed with space in mind but with the thick core it cools twice as much water at once due to being in a smaller space. I do have a 4mm hole In the stay this helps bleeding and constantly keeps the water flowing. A decent fan helps I upgraded from a cheap ebay fan to a spal fan which was like night and day.

Thanks for the info

RE: Performance Rads - Piggy - 31-12-2018

I do have a guide on youtube for fitting a bigger Nissan alloy rad... Inexpensive and minimal mod to fit.