306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
2.0 xsi manifold swap - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Engines (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: XU Petrol Engines (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: 2.0 xsi manifold swap (/showthread.php?tid=37055)

2.0 xsi manifold swap - Scunny306 - 22-09-2018

Hi all, 
Excuse me if i sound abit dumb never owned a pug only vauxhall and one mistake kia.

Im not clued up on my engine codes etc i think (correct me if im wrong) a xu10j4r

When i bought the car i got free a what i was told a gti6 exhaust manifold, down pipe and some what appear to be coolant hoses oh and gaskets.

Does the engine gain from this mod. Is it easy enough to do (im a 10 yr hgv mechanic ive done full engine conversions in corsas etc but frightend of cam belts and fwd clutches)

Do i have all whats needed parts wise ?
Regards
Sam

RE: 2.0 xsi manifold swap - Mighty306 - 23-09-2018

Hi Sam.  The XSi came in 2 versions.  Between '93 and '97 it had a 2L 8v engine and from '97 on had a 16v engine.  You're spot-on with the designation - XU10J4R.  Some people slag off the 16V XSi because they try to compare it to the GTi-6 which has the XU10J4RS engine.  In truth the XU10J4R is a strong engine and I find the 16V XSi a pleasure to drive and can bring on a bit a smile when wound up.  The main down-side is the fuel economy - not much better than a GTi with 42 less BHP!  But ...if you're not looking to rack up huge miles then it doesn't really matter.  Also, many XSi's haven't had such a hard life as the GTi's and it's easier to find a decent one at an affordable price, as you have hopefully found. The 16v XSi engine is, I think, much less prone to throwing cam belts than the GTi so there's a good chance yours contains an engine which has never been rebuilt.  (They're often not done very well).

So, to your question about the exhaust manifold.  When I first got another XSi (having had one when I was younger back in the early 2000's) I got all enthusiastic about the idea of fitting a GTi exhaust manifold.  I never have, for a number of reasons:

1) It's an utter pig to do with the engine in the car
2) There's always the risk of opening up a world of trouble by breaking a manifold stud
3) You also have to change other bits - cat/down pipe (because the manifolds are different lengths), heater hoses, heat shield
4) The Bosch MP5.2 ECU fitted to the 16V XSi is pretty intolerant of even small changes from the standard set-up and can't be re-mapped.
5) The exhaust manifold on both the XSi and GTi-6 are designed to work with their respective inlet manifolds, heads and valve timing (back pressure, resonator in inlet etc).
6) Some people seem to claim the engine feels a bit more 'free' after fitting it, that may just be psychological.  I can believe it sounds slightly better though.  In reality it probably doesn't give you any more noticeable power.

You may well get different opinions on whether it's worth it ...this is just mine, although based on a fair amount of research.

If you don't have evidence of the cam belt / tensioner / water pump having been done in the last few years then I'd make that your priority.  I only did my first one 3 years ago after many years of fiddling with older cars.  So far it hasn't come back to bite me in the ass.  There's lots of info I can share with you.

RE: 2.0 xsi manifold swap - Scunny306 - 23-09-2018

(23-09-2018, 09:46 AM)Mighty306 Wrote: Hi Sam.  The XSi came in 2 versions.  Between '93 and '97 it had a 2L 8v engine and from '97 on had a 16v engine.  You're spot-on with the designation - XU10J4R.  Some people slag off the 16V XSi because they try to compare it to the GTi-6 which has the XU10J4RS engine.  In truth the XU10J4R is a strong engine and I find the 16V XSi a pleasure to drive and can bring on a bit a smile when wound up.  The main down-side is the fuel economy - not much better than a GTi with 42 less BHP!  But ...if you're not looking to rack up huge miles then it doesn't really matter.  Also, many XSi's haven't had such a hard life as the GTi's and it's easier to find a decent one at an affordable price, as you have hopefully found. The 16v XSi engine is, I think, much less prone to throwing cam belts than the GTi so there's a good chance yours contains an engine which has never been rebuilt.  (They're often not done very well).

So, to your question about the exhaust manifold.  When I first got another XSi (having had one when I was younger back in the early 2000's) I got all enthusiastic about the idea of fitting a GTi exhaust manifold.  I never have, for a number of reasons:

1) It's an utter pig to do with the engine in the car
2) There's always the risk of opening up a world of trouble by breaking a manifold stud
3) You also have to change other bits - cat/down pipe (because the manifolds are different lengths), heater hoses, heat shield
4) The Bosch MP5.2 ECU fitted to the 16V XSi is pretty intolerant of even small changes from the standard set-up and can't be re-mapped.
5) The exhaust manifold on both the XSi and GTi-6 are designed to work with their respective inlet manifolds, heads and valve timing (back pressure, resonator in inlet etc).
6) Some people seem to claim the engine feels a bit more 'free' after fitting it, that may just be psychological.  I can believe it sounds slightly better though.  In reality it probably doesn't give you any more noticeable power.

You may well get different opinions on whether it's worth it ...this is just mine, although based on a fair amount of research.

If you don't have evidence of the cam belt / tensioner / water pump having been done in the last few years then I'd make that your priority.  I only did my first one 3 years ago after many years of fiddling with older cars.  So far it hasn't come back to bite me in the ass.  There's lots of info I can share with you.

Cheers mighty.

The cam belt and pump was done 2 year ago with receipt as proof. Ive been cleaning it today and has a nosey under the bonnet it looks horrific to do. Ive got all the bits needed to do it just questioning whether to do it now lol.

I also have a shortshift kit and some cyclone wheels but they need a refurb first

RE: 2.0 xsi manifold swap - Mighty306 - 23-09-2018

Unless the car has done big miles in the last 2 years I wouldn't worry about the cam belt for now (assuming tensioners & water pump done at same time). Just ask away when you think you might give it a go.

In the meantime, enjoy the car Smile

Btw, the official schedule for the cam belt is something like 5 yrs / 60,000 miles.

RE: 2.0 xsi manifold swap - miles - 15-10-2018

To get the exhaust manifold in there it's subframe off, Only taken them off for the 4-2-1 I supply so any gains on the XSi I would not like to say

RE: 2.0 xsi manifold swap - Eeyore - 16-10-2018

Itll gain slightly but if its not mapped to suit you will never realise the full benefits