306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Intercooler Diagram Help - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Engines (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: DW10 HDi section (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Intercooler Diagram Help (/showthread.php?tid=37036)

Intercooler Diagram Help - wainwrightj - 13-09-2018

I've been reading up but can't figure this out on my own

Does a stock HDI bring air into the engine as drawn below?

[Image: 44602903682_f58eb8dc5f_z.jpg]
Like that ^

If so does and intercooler sit between the engine and the turbo to cool the air before it hits the engine? (again as drawn below)

[Image: 30782497428_4d823d91e9_z.jpg]
Like this ^

I can't get my head round how it all works just need some clarification

Thanks lads and ladies

RE: Intercooler Diagram Help - Ruan - 13-09-2018

Yep spot on.

Because the air is compressed by the turbocharger, it heats up, therefore it becomes less dense - the molecules are further apart, so can fit less inside the cylinder, so cooling it back down makes the charge air denser, which means molecules closer together, therefore more oxygen in a given space, therefore can burn more fuel with the larger quantity of oxygen, thus more torks, thus more powahz.

RE: Intercooler Diagram Help - wainwrightj - 13-09-2018

(13-09-2018, 09:42 AM)Ruan Wrote: Yep spot on.

Because the air is compressed by the turbocharger, it heats up, therefore it becomes less dense - the molecules are further apart, so can fit less inside the cylinder, so cooling it back down makes the charge air denser, which means molecules closer together, therefore more oxygen in a given space, therefore can burn more fuel with the larger quantity of oxygen, thus more torks, thus more powahz.

Thanks bud!

It's really quite simple on paper I guess routing the pipe work is the difficult bit when it comes to fitting one

I've read some guides and understand the process of fitting one now

Do you need to buy any other parts to fit one or would a cheap universal FMIC kit fit 'straight up'

I see people using C5 inlet stuff and 406 boost hoses is this because you have to have these parts or just to make it cheaper?

Sorry for the avalanche of questions ahah

RE: Intercooler Diagram Help - Ruan - 13-09-2018

The 406/C5 inlet, top hose and lower hose are just for making fitment easier as they are bent in just the right places that fit the standard engine.

Take a look at how the system is plumbed up on a HDI110 variant in a 406/C5 and you'll see what people are on about.

RE: Intercooler Diagram Help - wainwrightj - 13-09-2018

(13-09-2018, 10:31 AM)Ruan Wrote: The 406/C5 inlet, top hose and lower hose are just for making fitment easier as they are bent in just the right places that fit the standard engine.

Take a look at how the system is plumbed up on a HDI110 variant in a 406/C5 and you'll see what people are on about.

Only had to look at one photo to see why thanks again mate

It's possible without the parts just easier with them

[Image: Peugeot_406_HDI_1.jpg]

Is the hose running from the back of the bay over the engine and around the air box carrying the cold air from the intercooler to the engine?

An then a hose presumably under the engine carries the hot air from the turbo into the intercooler?

RE: Intercooler Diagram Help - Poodle - 14-09-2018

You're still spot on. Wink

RE: Intercooler Diagram Help - wainwrightj - 14-09-2018

(14-09-2018, 06:15 AM)Poodle Wrote: You're still spot on. Wink

Cheers mate!

I've got an inter cooler from my old Volvo (rip) so I'm thinking about chucking that on and seeing where pipes will fit

Might not look the prettiest but it'll be my cheapest option given I've already got the inter cooler and various piping