306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Nialls supercharged GTi6 - project tidy up - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Photos and Projects (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Forum: 306 Projects (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Nialls supercharged GTi6 - project tidy up (/showthread.php?tid=3684)

RE: Nialls GTi6 - Now with 4 Pots for less Focus destroying! - Niall - 13-08-2013

Got the week off this week with nothing to do so thought i would spend a week doing all them annoying shitty jobs that you never get round to. First was to replace my wing which i dented at pugfest. Thats already turned into a big job! When under the car, i realised i had cracked the sill trim when i hit the line pin so that had to come off to be repaired so it doesnt let water in. Once i got the wing and trim off, i found a few bits of surface rust so thought now would be a better time than ever to get rid of it.
Half hour of attacking it with a wire brush and wire attachment for the drill and 2 coats of underseal later and im left with.

Whilst under the car, i decided to check out the rear subframe mountings. The rust here is what killed my old car and i know this is a common place for the 306 to rust so i was quite nervous about doing so!

Looks bad but thankfully its just surface rust. There is loads of solid metal underneath.

Made a start on cleaning it all up but the drill ran out of battery so calling it a day there. Tomorrow ill continue attacking that, clean up the wheel arches on that side and underseal the whole lot then Thursday, get the car turned around and make a start on the other side!

Nialls GTi6 - Now with 4 Pots for less Focus destroying! - Alee83 - 13-08-2013

Good work there Niall...! Time well spent Big Grin

RE: Nialls GTi6 - Now with 4 Pots for less Focus destroying! - Dum-Dum - 13-08-2013

good work mate, I need to find the enthusiasm to do mine soon

Nialls GTi6 - Now with 4 Pots for less Focus destroying! - devils_fuel - 13-08-2013

That a shitter about the damage to all the cars, it maybe an accident but still flaming annoying !

RE: Nialls GTi6 - Now with 4 Pots for less Focus destroying! - Niall - 13-08-2013

(13-08-2013, 07:41 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: good work mate, I need to find the enthusiasm to do mine soon

Yeah tbh the enthusiasm isnt there for this job! The drill would of been charged in 15 minutes but i used it as a excuse to go indoors lol. Will get that side finished tomorrow!! Then i need to do the other side and im really considering re undersealing the whole car...

lmao Yeah, like thats going to happen!

RE: Nialls GTi6 - Now with 4 Pots for less Focus destroying! - Rich306 - 13-08-2013

I need to put another coat of underseal on mine to, gets a bit tiring lol

RE: Nialls GTi6 - Now with 4 Pots for less Focus destroying! - Niall - 15-08-2013

Well car is back on the ground, dentless and rustless Smile

Started yesterday morning in the proper fashion

Then out to the car for some dirty work. Got the first coat of underseal on underneath that car after stripping all the old stuff back (what a bastard of a job that is!)

Also got my sills stripped back and undersealed as they were starting to go a bit on the jacking points.

Next job was to fix the sill trim. I wasnt worried how it looked as it was under the car. Just didnt want water and dirt getting in

All back together, new wing back on (colour match isnt perfect but ill have this blended in hopefully next month) and back on the ground.
Next job was to rebuild my spare rear callipers as mine are seized on currently. Ordered a rebuild kit from Big red and it was here next day. brilliant service!

RE: Nialls GTi6 - Now with 4 Pots for less Focus destroying! - Scott - 15-08-2013

They look much better rebuilt, they must be so much easier to work with too.

RE: Nialls GTi6 - Now with 4 Pots for less Focus destroying! - Niall - 15-08-2013

The are much better. One of the pistons i had seized completely and i just couldnt get it to budge! With some force i finally did. Move nice and free now though Smile

RE: Nialls GTi6 - Now with 4 Pots for less Focus destroying! - Scott - 15-08-2013

Awesome! I don't suppose you've put together a guide? Tongue if not then let me know when you're doing the other set and I can come lend a hand/take photos Smile

RE: Nialls GTi6 - Now with 4 Pots for less Focus destroying! - Grant - 15-08-2013

Mine are available for rebuilding :p

(15-08-2013, 04:22 PM)Scott Wrote: Awesome! I don't suppose you've put together a guide? Tongue if not then let me know when you're doing the other set and I can come lend a hand/take photos Smile

You know, i meant to but as per usual with my guides, i got far to into it and got to the end and thought bugger, ive forgot photos lol. When i do yours, you can come and help.

Gunt, buy the kit and ill do them for you. You spend more time cleaning everything up rather than replacing seals etc.

RE: Nialls GTi6 - Now with 4 Pots for less Focus destroying! - cully - 15-08-2013

nial when you took the wing off was it any hastle? easy enough to do?
as i plan on painting my front archs over the winter and think this would be the easyest way

Piece of piss mate. Arch liner out, headlight out, 2 10mm under the headlight, 2 in the recess where it meets the door, 1 bottom where it meets the sill trim, 1 by the bonnet hinge and a rivet to drill along the top.

Nialls GTi6 - Now with 4 Pots for less Focus destroying! - Jonny b - 15-08-2013

How was the piston seal to fit? When I done the fronts the piston seals were a fecking ballache lol

(15-08-2013, 07:34 PM)Jonny b Wrote: How was the piston seal to fit? When I done the fronts the piston seals were a fecking ballache lol

Really easy actually. I spent more time getting the old ones out as i lost my picks Sad.
I rebuilt them all wet with brake fluid which i think helped a lot. The old seals were bone dry and because of this, had started to perish and leave bits of rubber on the piston. Bit of emery cloth and some brake fluid soon sorted that out.

RE: Nialls GTi6 - Now with 4 Pots for less Focus destroying! - Niall - 27-08-2013

Fitted a new exhaust at the weekend (with thanks to Fooby for being helpful!). It blew like an absolute bitch from the manifold. Considering it was on its original fire seal, i was sure it was that so today i set to replacing it.

Knew it was bad but not that bad Confused. New one was a lady garden to fit on my own. Got the first bolt done up half way, not even any pressure on the spring and the bastard bolt snapped! Got it all together in the end and it now sounds amazing.

Took it for a bit of a hoon to see how it sounded and to make sure there was no major blows (giggidy). Sign of a good hoon!

RE: Nialls GTi6 - Now with 4 Pots for less Focus destroying! - samass - 27-08-2013

It's always satisfying replacing a worn out ring. Presume it's a genuine one? My gsf one was f*cked again in two weeks. Good for pops and bang tho lol

Nialls GTi6 - Now with 4 Pots for less Focus destroying! - td_dan - 28-08-2013

This is looking really tidy.

I decatted my '6 the weekend and had to change that ring mine was completly destroyed lol.

Have you got a link to the rebuil kit mate as iv got a spare set of rear calipers so might guve it a go

RE: Nialls GTi6 - Now with 4 Pots for less Focus destroying! - Niall - 01-09-2013

So Scott is a complete prick and took full advantage of the fact that im very weak with my financial management. So now i own a set of D2 coilovers.

So yeah, you can stop taking the piss for my tractor spec ride height now.....haha like that will happen!

RE: Nialls GTi6 - Now with 4 Pots for less Focus destroying! - ginge191 - 01-09-2013

Much better! Awesome suspension setup also!!!!

RE: Nialls GTi6 - Now with 4 Pots for less Focus destroying! - Tallguy_2 - 01-09-2013

Looks real good, time well spent!

Is that the same wing repaired?

RE: Nialls GTi6 - Now with 4 Pots for less Focus destroying! - Niall - 01-09-2013

(01-09-2013, 09:20 AM)Tallguy_2 Wrote: Looks real good, time well spent!

Is that the same wing repaired?

Nah its a new wing. Tbh that wing was the worst part of the car. There was 3 fairly sizeable dents along the top alongside the bonnet so i just replaced it with a new one. New one has a 5p sized dent next to the headlight but its better than having a line pin sized dent lol

Will probably raise the front up 5mm or so just so it matches the rear perfectly.

Nialls GTi6 - Now with 4 Pots for less Focus destroying! - devils_fuel - 01-09-2013

(01-09-2013, 09:01 AM)Niall Wrote: So Scott is a complete prick and took full advantage of the fact that im very weak with my financial management.

Scott's so irresponsible sometimes lol

Looking good now Nial Smile

RE: Nialls GTi6 - Now with 4 Pots for less Focus destroying! - amiek - 01-09-2013

Looking amazing, great set of coilovers. Hope your spine is okay :p

(01-09-2013, 09:45 AM)amiek Wrote: Looking amazing, great set of coilovers. Hope your spine is okay :p

Its not. I would of thought you would of realised this yesterday when it was taking me 5 minutes to get out of the car Tongue

RE: Nialls GTi6 - Now with 4 Pots for less Focus destroying! - Scott - 01-09-2013

Ride height looks spot on now Wink Enjoy the coilies, and make the most of the adjustable setup! I never got around to changing the camber or damping on it so make sure you give it a go and see what difference it makes.

Also clean those wheels Tongue

(01-09-2013, 10:11 AM)Scott Wrote: Also clean those wheels Tongue

Lol the rears are done, waxed and sealed after i had them off for my rear callipers. You can come and do the fronts for me. I know you miss them Wink

RE: Nialls GTi6 - Now with 4 Pots for less Focus destroying! - Scott - 01-09-2013

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't been looking at a set for the Meg...

I sincerely hope they will be going candy purple?