306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Coolant Bleeding Using Brake Bleeder - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Engines (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: XU Petrol Engines (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: Coolant Bleeding Using Brake Bleeder (/showthread.php?tid=36806)

Coolant Bleeding Using Brake Bleeder - gti6man - 02-05-2018

I have one of those Eezibleed brake bleeding kits I was wondering if i could use it to bleed the coolant system?

Instead of potentially making a mess using a 2l bottle as a header tank, couldn't I just fill the system up as much as it allows.

Then screw the Eezibleed kit to the top of the radiator with coolant in, pressurise it using a spare wheel then open the bleed points until coolant comes out?

Should save the risk of getting scolded by hot coolant to.

RE: Coolant Bleeding Using Brake Bleeder - bashbarnard - 02-05-2018

yeah pressure bleeding works but it will contaminate the brake fluid resiviour and you wont be able to re use the equipment for brake fluid safely again.

RE: Coolant Bleeding Using Brake Bleeder - Magenta Sunset - 02-05-2018

didn't even know the cap would fit

RE: Coolant Bleeding Using Brake Bleeder - gti6man - 02-05-2018

(02-05-2018, 02:51 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: didn't even know the cap would fit

Yeah I did think that after posting this but I could probably attach it to the overflow pipe instead or the multipurpose cap should fit...

RE: Coolant Bleeding Using Brake Bleeder - welshpug - 04-05-2018

no need, they will eventually self bleed anyway.

RE: Coolant Bleeding Using Brake Bleeder - wainwrightj - 04-05-2018

Can you run the car?

I've always bled coolant with the car idling, check the level it should drop as air bubbles out the system, top up, let it drop, top up, let it drop, eventually it'll stop dropping and you'll know there's no or at least very little air anywhere in the system?

RE: Coolant Bleeding Using Brake Bleeder - gti6man - 04-05-2018

(04-05-2018, 01:27 PM)welshpug Wrote: no need, they will eventually self bleed anyway.

Really I've seen allot of threads saying to bleed the system... wouldn't you risk an airlock if you didn't?

(04-05-2018, 02:14 PM)wainwrightj Wrote: Can you run the car?

I've always bled coolant with the car idling, check the level it should drop as air bubbles out the system, top up, let it drop, top up, let it drop, eventually it'll stop dropping and you'll know there's no or at least very little air anywhere in the system?

Yeah I just thought the matrix was the highest point to bleed the system so you need a header tank?

RE: Coolant Bleeding Using Brake Bleeder - wainwrightj - 04-05-2018

Quote:
(04-05-2018, 02:14 PM)wainwrightj Wrote: Can you run the car?

Yeah I just thought the matrix was the highest point to bleed the system so you need a header tank?

I don't have the knowledge to tell you if its wrong or right although I never had a problem with temps after bleeding my system like that and I drove it for months; hard/ sat it traffic/ short trips/ long trips you name it and it was fine

RE: Coolant Bleeding Using Brake Bleeder - Piggy - 05-05-2018

A little header pressure does help. Hand over the filler and blow down overflow pipe never fails me.
Then check bleed points again with engine at fast idle.

RE: Coolant Bleeding Using Brake Bleeder - DeeTurbo - 05-05-2018

For some reason the heater matrix on my gti won't bleed as well as the one in my HDI.

I found that after bleeding the gti I could hear water moving under the dash (heater matrix) on start up meaning there was still air trapped there and the only way I could think to get that air out was by sticking a tube over the bleed point at the back of the bay, it filled with coolant and feed a smaller tube through it in to the coolant pipe work. As soon as the smaller pipe got to the air it came out through the smaller pipe.

It was a pain to do but it sorted out my issue.

I hear vacuum filling/bleeding is the best way to fill a system with the least way of getting air trapped.