306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Anyone used Vtec? - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: General (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: The Couch (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Anyone used Vtec? (/showthread.php?tid=36341)

Anyone used Vtec? - Hobo Ash - 27-09-2017

So I've always been quite a conservative driver, my petrol cars have never gone over 6k rpm and rarely seen 5. But the idea of people going over 8k and getting that sound does seem kinda cool. Just wondered if anyone had driven many cars up to that kind of limit and if it sounded nice or just crap lol
Now I'm driving diesels I doubt il go over 5k again lol

RE: Anyone used Vtec? - Ruan - 27-09-2017

Yep, novel for about the first 5 minutes until you realise that attempting to keep with traffic ends up with you having to drop 3 gears every time to have the engine actually generate some power, make a huge amount of noise and everyone looks at you like you're a total penis.

RE: Anyone used Vtec? - Doseph - 27-09-2017

I toured around Europe on a VFR800, it did sound awesome when you cracked open the throttle and the Vtec kicks in Yo

but as technology goes it doesn't really add anything more...

RE: Anyone used Vtec? - Hobo Ash - 27-09-2017

(27-09-2017, 08:47 AM)Ruan Wrote: make a huge amount of noise and everyone looks at you like you're a total penis.

Haha lol I guess it would be a pain with the gear changes, at some point il maybe get a cheaper car with it to drive for a few months and then get rid of it. Out of interest Ruan what car was it you drove?

Cool having it on a bike! Hadnt thought of that Big Grin

RE: Anyone used Vtec? - Eeyore - 27-09-2017

Rallye hits 7k+ every gear shift. I thought thats how you werent meant to do it?

RE: Anyone used Vtec? - Stef205 - 27-09-2017

cant comment on vtec but mivec is brilliant especially with a turbo strapped to the side.

RE: Anyone used Vtec? - miles - 27-09-2017

As above Vtec on a performance Honda is a 5 minute thing, OK I guess for weekend drives but day to day no.

RE: Anyone used Vtec? - cpikey316_ - 27-09-2017

1.8 Civic! Only get near the top end of the rev range going through the severn bridge tolls. Fun but car does what I need to without bouncing off the rev limiter any other time I drive it.

Anyone used Vtec? - bashbarnard - 27-09-2017

Had a go in a prelude a few times. Fun car to be fair. But as ruan said i suspect it would get boring very quickly. Only so many places you can spank it without looking like a bell end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Anyone used Vtec? - Hobo Ash - 28-09-2017

The plus side of living in Essex is most people look like a bell end anyway lol

(27-09-2017, 12:07 PM)Eeyore Wrote: Rallye hits 7k+ every gear shift. I thought thats how you werent meant to do it?

look forward to the Rallye running properly to hear that in action next year ThumbsUp

RE: Anyone used Vtec? - Ruan - 28-09-2017

DC2 Integra Type-R B18C5 - cracking engine when you're up it, just annoying everywhere else.

RE: Anyone used Vtec? - TommiePuglet - 12-10-2017

Ived owned two D series Honda civics and can say that taking a car that high up is ive also drove a friends K20 type r civic which i can say when you hit it you do feel the cross over and the sound and pull with the exhaust is amazing.

RE: Anyone used Vtec? - Rippthrough - 16-10-2017

The whole point of VTEC is when you're not above the switchover point it has a normal road cam so pushes out just as much torque low down as any other comparable engine. All this talk of them being shit around town is just internet bollocks.

RE: Anyone used Vtec? - Dum-Dum - 17-10-2017

(27-09-2017, 12:07 PM)Eeyore Wrote: Rallye hits 7k+ every gear shift. I thought thats how you werent meant to do it?

Agreed, this was how I drove my rallye and my 6. The 6 could actually out accelerate the rev counter in 1st gear, you'd be on the limiter before the needle had reached 7k