306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
forged hdi rods - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Engines (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: DW10 HDi section (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: forged hdi rods (/showthread.php?tid=35579)

forged hdi rods - madmadmax - 10-02-2017

ok so it lookes like i've started to build an engine and it lookes like im going for big power so i need some forged rods.  I was wanting some input on where others have been and what the the quality and accuracy was like.

if you guys could point me in the right direction that would be very nice.

thanks
ben

RE: forged hdi rods - Mattcheese31 - 10-02-2017

The ones most have gone for are Chinese, I might be totally wrong here but I think the company may be called Maxspeeding, don't quote me on that though, I believe they weigh in at about £400 Smile

RE: forged hdi rods - toseland - 10-02-2017

theere is/was a group buy thread in the for sale section with these, i also think TomZX might have a finger or two in that pie as the rods are interchangeable between the XUD and HDi, and at the end of the day a forged rod is a forged rod..

What sort of power are we talking? would a set of 16valve HDi rods be suitable? they are considerably more meaty than the 8v ones,.

RE: forged hdi rods - welshpug - 10-02-2017

(10-02-2017, 10:58 AM)toseland Wrote: at the end of the day a forged rod is a forged rod..

funniest post of the day.

RE: forged hdi rods - toseland - 10-02-2017

(10-02-2017, 11:36 AM)welshpug Wrote:
(10-02-2017, 10:58 AM)toseland Wrote: at the end of the day a forged rod is a forged rod..

For the purposes of the HDi/XUD they are..    We arent exactly talking about £3000s worth of forged internals for 1500bhp 2JZ now are we... 

if a set of forged rods for an XUD fits a HDI and visa versa,  why wouldnt they be used interchangeably.

lol, wouldn't be 3k, 2 tops.

RE: forged hdi rods - Midnightclub - 10-02-2017

No one on here is going to spend even 2k on a set of rods for either engine. Given an existing build is making decent power on a 'cheap' set of rods it makes no sense to

i was including pistons Tongue

RE: forged hdi rods - Midnightclub - 10-02-2017

Yeah I still stand by the same point Tongue

The heads on both are probably going to be more of an issue before the pistons are. I imagine getting DI pistons custom made (unless there are on the shelf ones..) are probably rather pricey too.

RE: forged hdi rods - madmadmax - 10-02-2017

if i want to put numbers down i would say i would like 200-300hp around that would be nice but i game for any thing , 1500hp sound like it coud be fun.

RE: forged hdi rods - Ruan - 10-02-2017

1. The stock rods are 'forged' from the factory.
2. I'm yet to see a cheapy Chinese rod fail.

I'm not saying that they're as good as high quality expensive rods from Farndon or similar. However end of the day, 8v HDis are 10 a penny, you can't give them away - on the day I see a Chinese rod fail in a PSA HDi on stock or Alfa injectors either due to poor tolerances or general weakness, I'll eat my own head.

There is little to no point in investing a large sum of money in expensive conrods, the power levels and engine speeds are nowhere near high enough to worry about. A set of 16v RHW/RHR rods will probably be fine, but I've seen a set fail before now anyway.

People are forgetting the power is made in the fuel and air supply systems of which I've seen nobody yet that has a system actually capable of >220hp... You need to spend close to the amount to what you'd spend on high quality conrods as you would on the air and fuel supply systems to make it worthwhile having them. Conrods and pistons are merely components to allow greater quantities of above... Unless you're getting a set of significantly uprated injectors, you're not making North of 200hp anyway.

All I see are threads about conrods and exhaust manifolds and arguing over whether the Chinese rods and log manifolds are crap or not - newsflash: nobody gives a shit. Why not have a discussion about actually how to increase the fuel system capacity... Oh that's right, because nobody actually has ANY decent input because people know f*ck all about it, so it's completely ignored. But of course, we'll just slag everyone off for having the wrong conrods and log manifolds because someone once read something about how equal length runners are so important and how cheapy conrods have fantastically poor tolerances.

Stop getting all high and mighty because you spent a lot on some Farndon conrods and scoffing at cheap builds...

RE: forged hdi rods - toseland - 11-02-2017

(10-02-2017, 09:48 PM)Ruan Wrote:

1. The stock rods are 'forged' from the factory.
2. I'm yet to see a cheapy Chinese rod fail.

I'm not saying that they're as good as high quality expensive rods from Farndon or similar.  However end of the day, 8v HDis are 10 a penny, you can't give them away - on the day I see a Chinese rod fail in a PSA HDi on stock or Alfa injectors either due to poor tolerances or general weakness, I'll eat my own head.

There is little to no point in investing a large sum of money in expensive conrods, the power levels and engine speeds are nowhere near high enough to worry about. A set of 16v RHW/RHR rods will probably be fine, but I've seen a set fail before now anyway.

People are forgetting the power is made in the fuel and air supply systems of which I've seen nobody yet that has a system actually capable of >220hp... You need to spend close to the amount to what you'd spend on high quality conrods as you would on the air and fuel supply systems to make it worthwhile having them. Conrods and pistons are merely components to allow greater quantities of above... Unless you're getting a set of significantly uprated injectors, you're not making North of 200hp anyway.

All I see are threads about conrods and exhaust manifolds and arguing over whether the Chinese rods and log manifolds are crap or not - newsflash: nobody gives a shit. Why not have a discussion about actually how to increase the fuel system capacity... Oh that's right, because nobody actually has ANY decent input because people know f*ck all about it, so it's completely ignored. But of course, we'll just slag everyone off for having the wrong conrods and log manifolds because someone once read something about how equal length runners are so important and how cheapy conrods have fantastically poor tolerances.

Stop getting all high and mighty because you spent a lot on some Farndon conrods and scoffing at cheap builds...

This...  and actually given the dynamics i cant really find any suitable, proper, solution to the nozzle and injection problem mostly due to the plane angle being f*cking annoying...  alfa/fiat JTD injectors apparently are pretty close...  but not perfect by a long shot
the 16valve head is a very very viable choice for power due to the fact that its a plane angle is parallel to the stroke..  increases the amount of injectors available immensely so there is more than likely to be a viable retrofit..

fact is you could go down the route of having them machined but with tolerances that small you are still looking at huge differences in terms of flow rate.. so the only way to do it realistically would be to have a large number of them machined and match the closest 4 tips..

that said i am waiting on jonny to get back to me regarding a few things

RE: forged hdi rods - darrenjlobb - 11-02-2017

In that case might as well leave it on the stock rods then?  Rofl

RE: forged hdi rods - madmadmax - 11-02-2017

bugger me this has turned in to a right war zone. all i asked what where people are getting there rods from and what thay are like

RE: forged hdi rods - welshpug - 11-02-2017

(11-02-2017, 09:06 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote:

f*ck yeah!! why not?!

RE: forged hdi rods - welshpug - 11-02-2017

from a race engine builder i know

https://flic.kr/p/QK8eFf

left is a 'forged rod' which failed at the bolt counterbore, due to an inherent flaw in the design displayed by 99% of the chinese made items, no oil starvation, just a fail and a big mess, rendering the whole lot scrap.

on the right, a farndon rod that had been subjected to oil starvation and continued use, rod cap distorted due to heat, no failure of the bolts (same bolts as used on the cheaper rods usually)

iirc engine had new valves and a rod and still in use today.

you know what the funny thing is? Farndon rods are inly £600.  very little extra over the rest.

you can pay much more if you want.

RE: forged hdi rods - toseland - 11-02-2017

What was the inherent design flaw then?

I think you forgot that this is a Hdi not a jems cosworth money no object build

RE: forged hdi rods - Mattcheese31 - 11-02-2017

cleaned thread slightly . . . . . please keep name calling out of it, i've better things to do than tidy up here on my son's birthday, thanks x

RE: forged hdi rods - Paul Baldwin - 11-02-2017

(11-02-2017, 11:47 AM)madmadmax Wrote: bugger me this has turned in to a right war zone. all i asked what where people are getting there rods from and what thay are like

You were given the correct info in the second post. Check Zx_Volcanes thread for photos. He!s the one who did his research, stumped up the cash and got the original sets made by that particular manufacturer. The engines blue printed and will rev to 6k. It has covered many thousands of miles in various configurations since.

RE: forged hdi rods - daniel909 - 11-02-2017

(11-02-2017, 09:06 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote:

I better update my project thread to say im running forged rods now Smile

RE: forged hdi rods - Biggen - 08-02-2019

Happy to read these interesting threads.

For everyone who needs forged conrods for 1.7 TD, 1.9 TD, 2.1 TD and 2.0 HDI. I sell my own designs on EBAY from France. I ship worldwide! But we can deal directly with a discount. Price is 595€ with ARP L19 Bolts and grease.

Lots of sold for Drag races, and street races. Tested with Methanol, Nos, 3 Bar boost pressure and 6000Rpm. Since 2 years, many engines are running.

Ask for delivery.

Sportively 
Biggen