306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Slight starting issue, lumpy idle, etc - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Engines (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: XUD Section (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Slight starting issue, lumpy idle, etc (/showthread.php?tid=33696)

Slight starting issue, lumpy idle, etc - Dazecoop - 04-04-2016

Hey guys,

Just done basically a full service on my car in the past week (gearbox oil, engine oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter). All is well, did about 150 miles yesterday & it was perfect. Turned on & off quite a few times, perfect.

Now suddenly, just a minute ago, started on 1st crank instantly as it always does, but then lumpy idle & blue smoke out the back. Ran like it for about 10 seconds, turned the car off, turned it on again, same thing, revved a bit, then it cleared & was fine.

Drove it 10 minutes, totally fine. Turned off & left it for an hour, turned back on, same thing but for maybe 5 seconds then cleared.

Not bothering me too much, as it cleared quite quickly, but its just strange this is the first thing like this I've had, and I've just serviced it! Wondering if I'm catching the start of something failing perhaps? If so need to catch it soon as I'm doing a lot of miles in it this month! 

Car is XUD D turbo ph2, bone stock, Lucas pump untouched, running normal diesel from pump, never run on veg, never run out of diesel, tank is 3/4 full

Thanks!

RE: Slight starting issue, lumpy idle, etc - Mattcheese31 - 04-04-2016

Check glowplugs

RE: Slight starting issue, lumpy idle, etc - Dazecoop - 04-04-2016

(04-04-2016, 06:01 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: Check glowplugs

Yeah? I might just replace them all, can't hurt I guess, no idea when they were last changed either (before my ownership)

RE: Slight starting issue, lumpy idle, etc - Ruan - 04-04-2016

If you've still the clear hose from the filter housing to the pump, watch it as soon as you start. If there's bubbles in that pipe, you've got air ingress (I'll bet from the filter housing when you changed the fuel filter...)

Also you can try pumping the hand primer before starting and seeing if it makes the issue better.

As said, or glowplugs, just the fact it's never done it and now it's doing it after servicing that makes me assume air ingress.

RE: Slight starting issue, lumpy idle, etc - Jonny81191 - 05-04-2016

Yeah, sounds like air ingress to me. They can be a bit of a lady garden to seal unfortunately.

RE: Slight starting issue, lumpy idle, etc - Dazecoop - 05-04-2016

Ah yeah? Alright, that's cool. Bleeding the system seems a bit easier than changing glow plugs, so I'll give that a go first. It makes sense in regard to just being serviced. And yes, I still have that little clear pipe going from filter housing, I'll check it.

I've ordered glow plugs anyway, won't hurt Smile

RE: Slight starting issue, lumpy idle, etc - Iaitoo - 05-04-2016

When mine was like that, it turned out to be the return hose from the pump. It had a big hole in it, hidden by the sleeve it has over it. Sucked it lots of air when it shut off Smile