306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Anyone use winter tyres? - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: General (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: The Couch (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Anyone use winter tyres? (/showthread.php?tid=32200)

Pages: 1 2

Anyone use winter tyres? - Iceman299 - 12-10-2015

Can anyone recommend a particular brand/model? 

Looking to get a set for both cars, so thought i'd get input from you lovely folks first Big Grin

RE: Anyone use winter tyres? - Toms306 - 12-10-2015

Thought about Michelin Crossclimates? I haven't used any but they seem a better option than swapping between summer and winter tyres.

RE: Anyone use winter tyres? - cully - 12-10-2015

when it starts getting real bad il change from my proxies to some rainsport3s ive got and not used yet

RE: Anyone use winter tyres? - Stef205 - 12-10-2015

ive used ad08's all year round dont see any point in "winter tyres" personally.

RE: Anyone use winter tyres? - MY95 - 12-10-2015

Rainsport 3's and any other summer tyre is useless in the winter when the snow comes down, seriously! Winter tyres make the 306 a 4x4 beater on any road in the snow, up or down!

RE: Anyone use winter tyres? - adam b - 12-10-2015

I've used Alpin A4, Federal things and Vred Snowtrac 3.

The michelins were bloody amazing on the impreza. Just incredible what I could drive up in 10" snow.
The Federals were old and basically dangerous
The Vreds i've had on my van all year round for two years and are brilliant at all times, even with 20k miles on (6mm left lol)

I've been looking at M&S tyres for the 306 as I find AD08R a bit crap on mud all year round, but looks like i'm getting the van back soon so hope I wont have to bother Smile

RE: Anyone use winter tyres? - MY95 - 12-10-2015

Another vote for Michelin Alpins and Vredestein Snowtrac 3, got them for the 306 and they are the mutts nuts!

RE: Anyone use winter tyres? - Iceman299 - 12-10-2015

(12-10-2015, 08:13 PM)adam b Wrote: I've used Alpin A4, Federal things and Vred Snowtrac 3.

The michelins were bloody amazing on the impreza. Just incredible what I could drive up in 10" snow.
The Federals were old and basically dangerous
The Vreds i've had on my van all year round for two years and are brilliant at all times, even with 20k miles on (6mm left lol)

I've been looking at M&S tyres for the 306 as I find AD08R a bit crap on mud all year round, but looks like i'm getting the van back soon so hope I wont have to bother Smile

I was looking at the snowtrac 3's earlier.

I don't normally bother with winter tyres as i enjoy the drifting lol but i have to wake up at 5.30am already to get to work, just want to make sure the snow doesn't affect me too much in the E46

RE: Anyone use winter tyres? - Toms306 - 12-10-2015

Are snow tyres really gonna help with RWD? Confused

RE: Anyone use winter tyres? - Magenta Sunset - 12-10-2015

I could contact my friends in Austria - see what they use - ?

(12-10-2015, 08:56 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Are snow tyres really gonna help with RWD?  Confused

Why wouldn't they?  Confused

I'd still love the back end to slide when i want it to, just don't want to be stuck going uphill etc

tyre sox or chains on the driving wheels?

(12-10-2015, 09:20 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: tyre sox or chains on the driving wheels?

That would be way too much hassle to fit/remove everytime you go from snowy roads to busy roads which have no snow and i'm pretty sure chains are illegal?

RE: Anyone use winter tyres? - miles - 12-10-2015

Dunlop Winter Sports here, used them on most variants from 15 to 17" rims, Bloody good along with good reviews too, got me to Germany and back in the last Bad snow we had, even hit -30 in some Fog in france.

RE: Anyone use winter tyres? - Mark - 12-10-2015

I've used Kleber Quadraxers which I found to be good, and very reasonably priced. They are classed as an all season tyre but have M&S rating and have the snow symbol for meeting standards in snow conditions - in the snow I was going up hills in the 306 that other cars couldn't. Also seem to have reasonable efficiency and wet grip ratings.

(12-10-2015, 09:21 PM)Iceman299 Wrote:
(12-10-2015, 09:20 PM)Magenta Sunset Wrote: tyre sox or chains on the driving wheels?

That would be way too much hassle to fit/remove everytime you go from snowy roads to busy roads which have no snow and i'm pretty sure chains are illegal?

ifaik, nope & nope.
I've used chains to get home (live on a hill) when there was a sudden snow locally.
takes about 5-10 min with practice.
Tyre sox are even easier, (we have them issued for our fleet vans). they fit like those vinyl spare covers on 4x4's. slip the top over, roll fwd 1/2 a revolution, slip remaining side over.

drive away at a slow to moderate speed.

RE: Anyone use winter tyres? - Poodle - 13-10-2015

Can't recommend winter tyres enough, make an enormous difference. First time i used them i bought some cheap remoulds and once the temperature was down to near freezing they were better than the pe2s in most situations. I used 185/60/15s for a touch more ground clearance and less aquaplaning, how much difference that made i'm not sure though. They don't wear as fast in cold weather either.

RE: Anyone use winter tyres? - Magenta Sunset - 13-10-2015

good to know

RE: Anyone use winter tyres? - Paul Baldwin - 13-10-2015

(12-10-2015, 08:56 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Are snow tyres really gonna help with RWD? Confused

Decent tyres are always going to help. Ime with RWD cars extra weight in the boot is really needed as well. When I first started driving we had some decent snowy winters. I had a couple of Mk 5 Cortinas and a Mk 2 Carlton and always got where I wanted to go. My parents house was a building site at the time so I used to just pile bricks in the boot.

RE: Anyone use winter tyres? - silverzx - 13-10-2015

Never bothered with winter tyres.

RE: Anyone use winter tyres? - vento85 - 13-10-2015

I have used Dunlop Winter Sports and they were good, but I am planning to buy a set of Nokian WR D4. They have good reviews and they are made for Nordic regions and not central europe.

RE: Anyone use winter tyres? - RetroPug - 13-10-2015

(12-10-2015, 07:54 PM)Stef205 Wrote: ive used ad08's all year round dont see any point in "winter tyres" personally.

Probably because the UK doesn't have real winters.

RE: Anyone use winter tyres? - Piggy - 13-10-2015

I've used winter tyres for 5/6yrs now, on both cars.

So much more grip generally at temps below 10C and in the wet. Passed many a stuck 4x4. Pulled one or two out.

Plus always keeps my summer wheels/tyres from winter wear/tear and a chance to refurb!

RE: Anyone use winter tyres? - welshpug - 13-10-2015

winter tyres aren't just for snow!.

RE: Anyone use winter tyres? - Matt-Rallye - 13-10-2015

Kleber of vred snowtrac are the best Smile well worth having! not just better in snow but better in any adverse weather conditions.

RE: Anyone use winter tyres? - C2K - 13-10-2015

Continental TS830P on my Golf's winter alloys for two main reasons, 1) to enable my wife to drive anywhere with the best possible provision in winter, given she's from a country where it doesn't freeze and 2) to protect my car. As above, they're not just for snow. I find they offer much better grip even on damp/mushy autumnal roads also. Handy of course that they are a couple of inches smaller wheeled than the originals.

I did 40K a year commuting in my HDi without winter tyres, but then it was worth peanuts and it didn't really matter much if i stacked it. The golf is a very different story. Now i've got them, i'd always go out of my way to run them I feel - it's not much of an inconvenience to get a set of wheels out the shed every 6 months when the wheels would be off for a deep clean anyway.

RE: Anyone use winter tyres? - Iceman299 - 13-10-2015

Thanks for all the input guys Big Grin

I've never bothered with winter tyres, knowing they do make a difference not just in snow. 

Main reason for buying some now is for the wife doing the school run with the two little brats. I've also started a new job recently where I can't risk being late at all.

RE: Anyone use winter tyres? - Poodle - 13-10-2015

"can't risk being late"

Translation: "need to know i can exit that roundabout at 70 even in a blizzard."

RE: Anyone use winter tyres? - Iceman299 - 13-10-2015

(13-10-2015, 07:39 PM)Poodle Wrote: "can't risk being late"

Translation: "need to know i can exit that roundabout at 70 even in a blizzard."

Pretty much lol

RE: Anyone use winter tyres? - Dum-Dum - 13-10-2015

Cant recommend specifics as I've only had a couple of sets but both sets were awesome. As soon as the temperature gets into single figures the are so much better. Doesn't matter if it's wet or dry, snowy or icy they are better. You could probably run them from then the clocks go back all the way through.

I bought my current ATs as they were marked as being for Mud and Snow so should be better in the cold than standard ATs