306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Snapped glow plug - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Engines (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: DW10 HDi section (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Snapped glow plug (/showthread.php?tid=28310)

Snapped glow plug - Steve1990 - 14-12-2014

Hello first time on this site just wondering if any one has any advise on getting a snapped glow plug out wen to change glow plug on my hdi an the plug came out but the tip is still in there any advise much appreciated thanks

RE: Snapped glow plug - Piggy - 14-12-2014

how much is left, anything proud of the head?

if not, head off or leave it

what was the reason for changing them?

RE: Snapped glow plug - cully - 14-12-2014

plus gas it and drive around you may be lucky in it firing it out the head if you have got all the threaded part out,

if not its a head off job

haha
thats an epic idea.

Just have a cloth or something over it to stop it firing through the bonnet!

and be ready to stop the car!

RE: Snapped glow plug - Steve1990 - 14-12-2014

All threaded part out just tip left in reson for changing was its a bit lumpy for a few seconds in a morning its quiet deep on head i was going to leave it soak over nite then give it a good ragging tomorrow but if it does fly out wont thing get set on fire in engine bay ??

Nah buddy. Needs compression for diesel to burn, once plug leaves, no compression, no burning!

May find its still lumpy though, its not cold enough I would have thought yet for a hdi to rely on glowies

Thank you for reply i will try giving it a good run tuesday wen i get back from work and will update thread thanks again

RE: Snapped glow plug - Toms306 - 14-12-2014

HDi's use the plugs more than you may think, especially after start up to make sure it doesn't run lumpy for a few minutes. lol

Be careful about losing the tip in the cylinder, happened on Gareths HDi and caused a lot of damage. If it does fall in there, don't just try and ignore it lol, the head would have to come off.

RE: Snapped glow plug - phil clark - 14-12-2014

Had this happen to me, thankfully with the head already off. Measured against the new plugs, how much is left in there?. If its less than 10mm id follow all the advice you've already had, and apply plenty of release spray down the hole, let it soak a good while, then use the rag, compression and heat trick.
Just be somewhere else out of the line of fire when it does go, cus it will be out of there like a bullet lol.
Ended up having to drive mine out with the aid of a narrow roll pin drive. Good luck, and keep your head down lol :-)

(14-12-2014, 07:49 PM)phil clark Wrote: Had this happen to me, thankfully with the head already off. Measured against the new plugs, how much is left in there?. If its less than 10mm id follow all the advice you've already had, and apply plenty of release spray down the hole, let it soak a good while, then use the rag, compression and heat trick.
Just be somewhere else out of the line of fire when it does go, cus it will be out of there like a bullet lol.
Ended up having to drive mine out with the aid of a narrow roll pin drive. Good luck, and keep your head down lol :-)
If you look at the glow plug theres the base of it then theres the end that glows its snapped at the joint if you know what i mean lol all the black tip is still in there going to try get it out as advised and worst case i have to take the head off.