306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Cracked head somewhere... - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Engines (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: XUD Section (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Cracked head somewhere... (/showthread.php?tid=25124)

Cracked head somewhere... - toseland - 07-07-2014

Doh

so i am leaning more and more to a small crack opening up in my cylinder head somewhere...

inflated coolant lines (hard but not too hard) and when reved i get foam in me coolant expansion tank

however, how much cavitation does the pump cause as its coming from the return line from the pump and is most apparent when its hot (only when its hot) and the thermostat is open...

any ideas?

i am guessing someone could have a poke at pugfest and identify it for me/confirm or deny my fears so to speak.

RE: Cracked head somewhere... - londondan86 - 08-07-2014

Any other head symptoms, high running temps, using coolant, mayo, etc.

RE: Cracked head somewhere... - toseland - 08-07-2014

Nope, lol, hence i asked about the cavitation..

although not accurate by any stretch of the imagination, the coolant guage sits bang middle of the range as normal..

RE: Cracked head somewhere... - Piggy - 08-07-2014

HG failure could do that.

have you had the gasses in the coolant sniffed?

When you give it a good boosted drive, does it not get hot then?....heaters working ok? Not losing coolant?

RE: Cracked head somewhere... - Ruan - 08-07-2014

Probably HG failure - just like mine was, XUDs rarely mayo their oil/coolant unless they're very severe.

RE: Cracked head somewhere... - toseland - 08-07-2014

HEad gasket is new, brand new.. and VR one as well.. 3+1+1 repair gasket, head skimmed, sorted..

RE: Cracked head somewhere... - mr_fish - 09-07-2014

didn't you just re-torque and drash on ruan?

RE: Cracked head somewhere... - Piggy - 09-07-2014

(08-07-2014, 09:55 PM)toseland Wrote: HEad gasket is new, brand new.. and VR one as well.. 3+1+1 repair gasket, head skimmed, sorted..

did you have the same symptoms before?

If it was skimmed, it should have been pressure tested

RE: Cracked head somewhere... - toseland - 09-07-2014

It was Mr Piggy... it came back fine, no loss on any cylinder and the bores all looked pristine (still see the hone marks)

i had a gas test done on the header tank today.. nothing in the way of exhaust gases present... he was drawing through the blue liquid for a few minutes whilst reving and also whilst idling..

so the bubbles must be cavitation in the pump, and/or just turbulance in the pot itself.. i am at a loss to explain the inflated hoses tho.. maybe the header tank cap is a little too tight?

RE: Cracked head somewhere... - londondan86 - 10-07-2014

Any loss of coolant at all? And when you say temp sits in the middle of the range does that mean 90*??

RE: Cracked head somewhere... - Anton - 10-07-2014

Sounds very much like my ZX. Unexplainable after 2 years and 60 odd thousand miles

Cracked head somewhere... - zx_volcane - 10-07-2014

Ahhh yeah Anton's mystery Zx, throwing up its water, never got to the bottom of that

RE: Cracked head somewhere... - Piggy - 10-07-2014

My unc had a xantia that did that.

Had head done twice, tested and tested. Found some info that a spate of heads werent much cop. You can find them by the code on the head. Code is the drill holes, or lack of, above the glow plugs. Cant remember what number the dodgy head batch was though Undecided