306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Brake upgrade - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: 306 Repairs & Mods (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: Suspension, Transmission, Handling & Braking (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: Brake upgrade (/showthread.php?tid=2444)

Pages: 1 2

Brake upgrade - ginge191 - 26-03-2012

So the MOT is due soon, and pretty sure the front brake system is going to need at least replaced disks and pads... squeeking today and running slack!

So, whats the best / alternative upgrade: I'm running 15 inch speedlines on a dturbo at the moment.

Would GTI brakes fit behind them?
Looking for something a bit meatier - would i need to change calipers as well for a disc updrage?

Also, links would be useful!

Re: Brake upgrade - Fozzy - 26-03-2012

Gti Brakes fit behind the 205 alloys no problem.

Re: Brake upgrade - ginge191 - 26-03-2012

Fozzy Wrote:Gti Brakes fit behind the 205 alloys no problem.

but require GTI calipers also?

Re: Brake upgrade - Anton - 26-03-2012

Yes lol

Brake upgrade - kentiiboii - 26-03-2012

Yeah you'll need gti6 calipers. Or get them of the 307 hdi they're exactly the same but half the price.

please keep this on track.. kind of need thes ordered asap.

as for changing callipers - how hard is it?? tricky changing hoses??

Re: Brake upgrade - Ed Doe - 26-03-2012

ginge191 Wrote:
Fozzy Wrote:Gti Brakes fit behind the 205 alloys no problem.

but require GTI calipers also?

I think Fozz meant the whole units....

Cyclones are 15", as are speedlines, so you can put the whole '6 set-up behind your brakes.

I was idly reading up on brakes on the 6 forum and found this:

http://www.306gti6.com/forum/showthread.php?id=146572

1stly i consider the OP to be a collossal bender to be ignoring/insulting the people who've replied, but you can't escape from the fact that almost unanimously, the ONLY reason people upgrade from '6 brakes is for weight-saving.

i realise this isn't totally your train of thought, but imo you should get '6 brakes. Smile

Re: Brake upgrade - Niall - 26-03-2012

Easy to change. Discs are direct replacement and the calipers is just 2 bolts and the hose. Bleeding will be easy unless you replace the master cylinder as well. Then you will need to bleed all 4.

Hoses are also the same so no need to replace them unless they are damaged. Might have to slide the rubber grommet that holds the hose to the strut along as the hose connection point is further towards the front of the car on the gti brakes. Lave it as it is and you will probably have a nice sharp kink in the hose.

Brake upgrade - Jonny b - 26-03-2012

What have you got on there ginge I have a set of 266 calipers you can have cheap

Re: Brake upgrade - 4WayDiablo - 26-03-2012

So you wanted larger disks but unsure on calipers? Wut?

Get a complete 6 setup. Pads disks calpers and mc

you dont need the master cylinder when upgrading iirc; i didnt use when going from dt to hdi brakes on the dt phil. it just means you get more pedal modulation (ie. its not really grabby at the top of the pedal)

Not grabby at the top? One way to describe them lol
Why didnt you go gti though lol

Also ginge get some mintex 1144's or ferodo ds2500 pads :-)

Re: Brake upgrade - Fozzy - 26-03-2012

Yeah i ment the hole lot not just discs, easy enough to do, just replace the dturbo callipers and discs with gti simple.

Ide suggest changing master cylinder too, ive driven a dturbo with just the calliper upgrade and hated the travel in the pedal.

I would personally go for the 266's they are good upgrade from dtub, and they are cheap.

Re: Brake upgrade - springs - 26-03-2012

for a cheap upgrade go for 266 tbh..

Otherwise go for the 6 upgrade

calipers / disks / pads are all needed..

Dont go 266 they struggle on mine
I feel i want bigger brakes

266 are all well and good on a 90bhp hdi but with an extra 60% power id go for 6 brakes

4WayDiablo Wrote:266 are all well and good on a 90bhp hdi but with an extra 60% power id go for 6 brakes

Well pug thought they were good for a 155 bhp s16

Re: Brake upgrade - Niall - 26-03-2012

I had 266s on my car originally with halfords pads and discs and they were surprisingly good!

Jonny b Wrote:
4WayDiablo Wrote:266 are all well and good on a 90bhp hdi but with an extra 60% power id go for 6 brakes

Well pug thought they were good for a 155 bhp s16
Ohh really? Didnt know that lol
But still go for 283? 6brakes
Or get them 2 pot ones chris is selling

Decent disc and pad setup the 266's are more than adequate for a dtub I only got the gti setup as it was so cheap I couldn't say no

Phil i ended up with the hdi setup as it was cheaper for a whole set of discs n pads for £35 iirc...

and they were painted red!! lol

but srsly, get decent discs n pads and it'll feel totally different!

£15 and you can have these calipers ginge

Jonny b Wrote:£15 and you can have these calipers ginge

Sorry i got completely lost reading that lot ^^^^^^

What discs will those calipers take, where are the calipers from mate??

ginge191 Wrote:
Jonny b Wrote:£15 and you can have these calipers ginge

Sorry i got completely lost reading that lot ^^^^^^

What discs will those calipers take, where are the calipers from mate??
You will need 266 disks and im guessing theyre from his s16 seeing as he said earlier it came with them and hes recently aquired some 6 brakes

Re: Brake upgrade - Eeyore - 26-03-2012

I got my gti6 brake setup for £30! There are bargains to be had! They are really good and Carl Chambers fitted mine in about 30 minutes Smile

4WayDiablo Wrote:You will need 266 disks and im guessing theyre from his s16 seeing as he said earlier it came with them and hes recently aquired some 6 brakes

think i'd prefer a GTI setup..

Re: Brake upgrade - mark_airey - 27-03-2012

Couple of things that seem to have been missed! 1 is that if you have speedlines with a lot of balancing weights on the back of them then the calliper may shave them down a little bit when you first fit them, after that they will be fine Smile They are just tight on clearance! nothing to worry about!

Also, when you come to change them over make sure that you have the correct bolts for the calliper as IIRC the DT ones are longer as the mounting point on the calliper is thicker! as a result if you try to fit GTi callipers using DT bolts you will never get them tight as the bolts are too long Wink

Re: Brake upgrade - ginge191 - 27-03-2012

cheers mate, i only think there is a 10 and 5 on each side... they're not MASSIVE.. but i'll consider Smile

I've messaged JDM for calipers - as i'll buy new discs and pads anywho..

Re: Brake upgrade - mark_airey - 27-03-2012

ginge191 Wrote:cheers mate, i only think there is a 10 and 5 on each side... they're not MASSIVE.. but i'll consider Smile

I've messaged JDM for calipers - as i'll buy new discs and pads anywho..

No worries, Its not a problem, just might skim a little bit off them lol and as I say, just make sure you have the correct bolts or you will get it all to bits and then end up stuck and have to put back on what you take off which will make you mad :evil: you can get them from Peugeot for a reasonable amount IIRC if you wanted to do that!

Re: Brake upgrade - ginge191 - 27-03-2012

Cheers mate Smile

As for the lines, is that a fairly standard job - never had to change front hoses before - bolt on, bolt off & bleed??