306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
CFD & FEA - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: General (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: The Couch (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: CFD & FEA (/showthread.php?tid=18151)

CFD & FEA - Kezzieboy - 18-10-2013

Well I've decided this year of uni I'm going to get awesome at CFD, as we have some pretty swanky software (Ricardo Wave for CFD, Altair Hyperworks for FEA, CATIA, Solidworks and Creo for design stuff) on all the Mechanical Engineering PCs and I only have 2 years left to use them.

I'm currently learning with the aim of designing a new exhaust for our formula student car, which runs a restricted (it's still plenty fast enough in a car that weighs about 300kg) Yamaha R6 engine, but I'm pondering what useful stuff I could look at for the HDi.

I'm guessing the exhaust manifold is a sack of shit as standard, as most are, and how much potential benefit could come from a redesign? I can get materials cheap, and free labour, so now's the time for me to do these things!

Maybe I should be enterprising and offer some engineering consultancy work for you guys Tongue

RE: CFD & FEA - Jonny81191 - 18-10-2013

Make me an exhaust manifold for a GT22xx that relocated to over the gearbox? Please??

RE: CFD & FEA - Kezzieboy - 18-10-2013

To be honest, given all the necessary measurements, there's no reason why it shouldn't be piss easy, really.

RE: CFD & FEA - Jonny81191 - 19-10-2013

Yeah, it shouldn't be difficult at all. But if you felt you needed practice making stuff...

RE: CFD & FEA - Connor - 19-10-2013

Ill take one

RE: CFD & FEA - cully - 19-10-2013

(18-10-2013, 10:45 PM)Kezzieboy Wrote: I can get materials cheap, and free labour, so now's the time for me to do these things!

hmm cheap free you say

il take a exhaust manifold for a TD05 that relocates to over the gearbox on a GTI6

Please
Big Grin

RE: CFD & FEA - Niall - 19-10-2013

(19-10-2013, 04:59 AM)cully Wrote:
(18-10-2013, 10:45 PM)Kezzieboy Wrote: I can get materials cheap, and free labour, so now's the time for me to do these things!

hmm cheap free you say

il take a exhaust manifold for a TD05 that relocates to over the gearbox on a GTI6

Please
Big Grin

+1

RE: CFD & FEA - Ruan - 19-10-2013

And if you need somewhere to run your simulations Wink

RE: CFD & FEA - lolsteve - 19-10-2013

turbo k series, you know you want to...

Interesting idea though, are your uni labs quite relaxed with you doing practical stuff in there? Bradford won't let us do anything ourselves we have to get the technicians to do it all.

Re: CFD & FEA - THE_Liam - 19-10-2013

Engine mounts to drop an XUD in a Viva?

RE: CFD & FEA - Kezzieboy - 19-10-2013

(19-10-2013, 12:38 PM)lolsteve Wrote: turbo k series, you know you want to...

Interesting idea though, are your uni labs quite relaxed with you doing practical stuff in there? Bradford won't let us do anything ourselves we have to get the technicians to do it all.

If you're part of the formula student team, yeah, the dude who runs it is a legend, and has got like 30 odd alumni from the team over the last 10 years the most incredible jobs in motorsport/automotive engineering!

But yeah, I'm gonna keep plugging at it, and if I can get some proven results on the RaceCar, I'll see what you guys might fancy. Even if I could just produce the designs for you to then get built up? As it might be taking the piss if I started just fabricating everything in the lab for stuff other than the car it's there for Tongue