306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
MG ZR: Cams & Maps - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Marques (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: Projects (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: MG ZR: Cams & Maps (/showthread.php?tid=14360)

RE: MG ZR: Time to beat a '6 - lolsteve - 11-08-2014

Car is performing flawlessly Smile however it has developed a slight case of warpedbrakediscitus so will hopefully rectify this by using these

Grooved discs & greenstuff pads for £40. Yes they're used and not ideal but even if I just use them for the rear discs which at this point in time are totally fuc..

Oh also got given some car ramps on the weekend so will be trying to get the steering UJ mod done now as the sloppy gear change is somewhat annoying

RE: MG ZR: Time to beat a '6 - Poodle - 11-08-2014

That was a month ago, whats happened since? :p

I'm intrigued about the steering mod, how does it help the gear change?

RE: MG ZR: Time to beat a '6 - lolsteve - 11-08-2014

Not much, I haven't touched it/cleaned it really in some time as you can tell from all the crisp packets in there Tongue Just used it to drive to doncaster for a job interview + see ladysteve. Although have booked in for the 1:30 track session at the september action day, one last session for this year and a good test for the headgasket Tongue

No sooner had I got the cars arse in the air and the rear calliper half off the heavens have decided to open and trap me indoors. This is why I want a house with a garage so this sh"t can stop happening

The steering UJ mod replaces the gear slection linkage thing with a uj from a steering rack as the standard selector thing wears out and gets sloppy
http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=89812

RE: MG ZR: Time to beat a '6 - Poodle - 11-08-2014

Hahaha fair play, good luck!

Oooohhh ok, that makes sense, nice.

RE: MG ZR: Time to beat a '6 - procta - 12-08-2014

make sure its welded on to the linkage not bolted on!

RE: MG ZR: Time to beat a '6 - lolsteve - 12-08-2014

Well the discs and pads are on, good thing too since the rears were just made of rust and can do spirit
Fitting the fronts was easy as it turns out the greenstuff pads have less meat on them than the mintex that was on there. So I'm going to use the greenstuffs for combe and then see if I should swap back to the mintex

Unfortunately it seems I won't have time to do the Uj mod as my new job wants me starting before the end of the month against the 8th of September i was told yesterday. This leaves me with not very much time to get a flat sorted before hand Sad

RE: MG ZR: Time to beat a '6 - procta - 12-08-2014

your better off buying a second hand linkage and doing the upgrade on that one and then swopping it over. so the car isn't out of action.

RE: MG ZR: Time to beat a '6 - lolsteve - 18-08-2014

Good idea, will be keeping an eye out for a pg1 linkage for sale in a bit

Bled the brakes today as I'm pretty sure the brake pedal is quite spongy so perhaps some trapped air. Some air did come out along with what I think was grit/rust etc
However still feels spongy not sure if i did it properly or something else is wrong

RE: MG ZR: Time to beat a '6 - Eeyore - 18-08-2014

Sick stuff bro. Good to see youve upgraded the brakes so you can slow down and let me past when im behind you :p

RE: MG ZR: Time to beat a '6 - procta - 19-08-2014

id still give it another bleed again, to be sure.

RE: MG ZR: Time to beat a '6 - lolsteve - 20-08-2014

Sam - you dick lol
Procta - Suppose I only used 500ml of fluid when everyone is saying to use 1L, do you do it with the engine on or off? Also reading up that apparently the 160/180 callipers trap air in the top part easily so you need to remove them and rotate them round the disc til the nipple is pointing directly up so might need to do that

RE: MG ZR: Time to beat a '6 - Toms306 - 20-08-2014

The calipers trap air in them? Seems like a well thought out design! Confused

And no, the engine doesn't need to be running to bleed them, the ABS pump should all be 'open' with the engine off anyway.

RE: MG ZR: Time to beat a '6 - Eeyore - 20-08-2014

Yeh engine off.

RE: MG ZR: Time to beat a '6 - Grant - 20-08-2014

(20-08-2014, 01:40 PM)SRowell Wrote: Yeh engine off.

[Image: the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world-me...f75f8c.jpg]

:p

RE: MG ZR: Time to beat a '6 - procta - 20-08-2014

(20-08-2014, 08:01 AM)lolsteve Wrote: Sam - you dick lol
Procta - Suppose I only used 500ml of fluid when everyone is saying to use 1L, do you do it with the engine on or off? Also reading up that apparently the 160/180 callipers trap air in the top part easily so you need to remove them and rotate them round the disc til the nipple is pointing directly up so might need to do that

i bleed mine, with the engine off, you want a mate to really pump the pedal as you do it.
just make sure your bleed kit is fully on the nipple, and then bleed with your mate.
never heard of rover brakes causing problems at all, so god knows where that one has come from.
wouldn't really matter what size bottle you use either, we just top when it needs it, during bleeding, helps push the air out of the system.

RE: MG ZR: Time to beat a '6 - Poodle - 21-08-2014

You'll need that more than 500ml just to make sure it's all fully bled through mate. Trapped air would certainly explain why you've still got a spongy pedal, the only other cause I can think of is knackered fluid and that's new, so...

RE: MG ZR: Time to beat a '6 - lolsteve - 29-08-2014

Well happier with the brakes now, don't feel like i have to push through the floor to get it to stop. Will try and bleed out the brakes soem more when I have time/not raining which is just seems to do all the time now im back north

also chuffed as fk right now. Been watching a set of MG 16" wheels on ebay all week and messaged the seller asking how the tread is etc to no response. So thought I'd throw a offer in to see if he'd respond, to my delight he accepted £60 for 4 wheels with tyres. What gets better is I knew the tyres were Michelin brand from the photo but couldn't see what model, assumed they'd be eco tyres or whatever. Turns out they're Pe2's which I believe have a good reputation on here? Tread isn't brilliant I'll admit but they're still above the wear marker which is fine considering they're meant to be track wheels. Feel alot lighter than my 17s too which is a good start

RE: MG ZR: Time to beat a '6 - procta - 29-08-2014

steve stop been a pussy and get some proper rubber on this heavy posh rover will ya! joke a side, mind if you have too a cheap tyre on, it will just wheel spin to easy, my mates rover 25 was like that, when he put budget tyres on.
but a good buy on a second set of wheels that you can swop over for track days.

RE: MG ZR: Time to beat a '6 - Niall - 29-08-2014

You will bloody love them tyres. Unreal amounts of grip!

RE: MG ZR: Time to beat a '6 - Poodle - 29-08-2014

Great tyres imo, it's the predictability that makes them - really nice progressive feel on the edge of grip.

RE: MG ZR: Time to beat a '6 - Eeyore - 29-08-2014

Those wheels look like a bargain mate! Big Grin

RE: MG ZR: Time to beat a 1.8 - lolsteve - 29-08-2014

I'll get some proper rubber soon, starting my first job in just over a week so will finally be having some income to spend Big Grin

Hopefully these tyres will perform better than the nankangs then even though the tread is running low. How are they in the wet? Just so happy they've got a decent brand tyre rather than the autogrip shite all the others for sale have.

RE: MG ZR: Time to beat a 1.8 - Niall - 30-08-2014

Assuming they didn't change the design between the pe2 and ps3 (don't think so) then they are bloody great in the rain. I would say you could push on almost as hard in the wet as in the dry!

RE: MG ZR: Time to beat a 1.8 - Toms306 - 30-08-2014

Those wheels look much nicer than the 17" multispokes as well tbh, personally I'd keep them on all the time. Wink

RE: MG ZR: Time to beat a 1.8 - lolsteve - 30-08-2014

Good to know in case combe decides to piss it down again. Did the 20p test on 2 of them last night before bed and one passed fairly well the other not so much so probably not road tyres at least

The advantage of these tom is that people will think i have a 1.4 Wink It'd be like putting lasers on a '6

Who changed the thread name? lol

RE: MG ZR: Time to beat a 1.4 - RetroPug - 30-08-2014

lmao lmao

RE: MG ZR: Time to beat a 1.4 - Poodle - 30-08-2014

They're great in the rain man, almost the same as in the dry, just with 10mph off the limit in the corners lol.

RE: MG ZR: Time to beat a 1.4 - Piggy - 30-08-2014

Thread title at last seems factual.

RE: MG ZR: Time to beat a 1.4 - Niall - 30-08-2014

ninja

RE: MG ZR: Time to beat a 1.4 - procta - 30-08-2014

well there is a lot of truth in the title Tongue