306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
MG ZR: Cams & Maps - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Marques (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Forum: Projects (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: MG ZR: Cams & Maps (/showthread.php?tid=14360)

RE: Project get back 20bhp - Midnightclub - 23-01-2014

Might have missed it.. but have you replaced the fuel filter recently? If not, maybe blocked and ristricting fuel flow top end reducing power?

RE: Project get back 20bhp - Tom - 24-01-2014

f*cking rovers lol

RE: Project get back 20bhp - procta - 24-01-2014

(24-01-2014, 12:08 AM)Tom Wrote: f*cking rovers lol

oh yeah they are fun! he's lucky, he has a diagnostic port on his car! the fool who did my loom said " he was out of stock of the diagnostic ports" when you can buy them new for a couple of quid! am I hell playing about wiring one into it, as that's a f*ck on and half.
Rovers are good cars when they are running properly, mines as strong as the HDI,

RE: Project get back 20bhp - lolsteve - 29-01-2014

(24-01-2014, 12:40 AM)procta Wrote:

oh yeah they are fun! he's lucky, he has a diagnostic port on his car! the fool who did my loom said " he was out of stock of the diagnostic ports" when you can buy them new for a couple of quid! am I hell playing about wiring one into it, as that's a f*ck on and half.
Rovers are good cars when they are running properly, mines as strong as the HDI,

Gutted, but sadly this diag port isn't helping much Sad

Took the car to the body shop today to get a quote for the rust patch+adding skirts. Looking to be about £200+ vat for both, thinking i might do the skirts myself to help save a few pennies becauseee...found a guy selling a heat wrapped manifold + decat for £100! Only problem it's in southampton Sad

(29-01-2014, 08:37 PM)lolsteve Wrote:
(24-01-2014, 12:40 AM)procta Wrote:

Gutted, but sadly this diag port isn't helping much Sad

Took the car to the body shop today to get a quote for the rust patch+adding skirts. Looking to be about £200+ vat for both, thinking i might do the skirts myself to help save a few pennies becauseee...found a guy selling a heat wrapped manifold + decat for £100! Only problem it's in ringwood Sad

RE: Project get back 20bhp - RetroPug - 29-01-2014

(29-01-2014, 08:37 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Took the car to the body shop today to get a quote for the rust patch+adding skirts. Looking to be about £200+ vat for both, thinking i might do the skirts myself to help save a few pennies becauseee...found a guy selling a heat wrapped manifold + decat for £100! Only problem it's in ringwood Sad

Is it worth spending 100 pounds on exhaust modifications for +2bhp when the engine's not running right?

RE: Project get back 20bhp - procta - 30-01-2014

steve try, nearly 1k for mine! as its going to need a re spray. The paint work is well over 20 years old and its practically un matchable, as its about 8 different shades of red!
what type of manifold is it?

RE: Project get back 20bhp - Danny2009 - 30-01-2014

£200 is steep? Glad i have all the kit to do it myself

Really have no idea where 20 ponies have gone checked literally everything

Think you should just admit it's f*cked and get a new engine for it so I can have the old one Wink hahah

RE: Project get back 20bhp - lolsteve - 30-01-2014

(29-01-2014, 10:00 PM)RetroPug Wrote: Is it worth spending 100 pounds on exhaust modifications for +2bhp when the engine's not running right?
On these apparently the manifold is a proper restriction and people have seen along with a map power in the 170-175 region which is exactly the power I want enough to play with slighter heavier and more powerful cars whilst still being a daily
For the price I could just sell it on if I change my mind or at least hold onto it til I sort out the engine, the manifold alone is £250 new

(30-01-2014, 01:09 AM)procta Wrote: steve try, nearly 1k for mine! as its going to need a re spray. The paint work is well over 20 years old and its practically un matchable, as its about 8 different shades of red!
what type of manifold is it?
I just a more accurate quote back, they'd want to take the entire roof back so that with skirts was £560. Sadly I don't think I'd be able to do that, makes your whole car seem a bit more affordable
It's a 4-2-1 janspeed with decat already heat wrapped, I wouldnt want that decat as it apparently been proved to loose power on the vvc so I could get a sports cat welded in and sell off the old cat to recover some costs
(30-01-2014, 10:01 AM)Danny2009 Wrote: £200 is steep? Glad i have all the kit to do it myself

Really have no idea where 20 ponies have gone checked literally everything

Think you should just admit it's f*cked and get a new engine for it so I can have the old one Wink hahah
Try £560 now Sad
Cannot think for the life of me where it's gone, timing is fine, compression is fine, head gasket is fine. The garage/bodyshop place said they do a health check for £45 but I don't want to pay them to do another compression test and timing check to tell me it's fine when I know

RE: Project get back 20bhp - Danny2009 - 30-01-2014

That is steep cost £10 for some tiger seal so there wanting £500 to spray the roof? Madness

Been racking my brains since the meet and I'm stumped checked the inlet gasket isn't leaking? Heard there a bastard for it

RE: Project get back 20bhp - THE_Liam - 30-01-2014

Sounds like my head gasket. Not overheating, heaters working, no steam, no misfiring, no leaks, but water disappearing!

RE: Project get back 20bhp - procta - 30-01-2014

(30-01-2014, 11:14 AM)Danny2009 Wrote: That is steep cost £10 for some tiger seal so there wanting £500 to spray the roof? Madness

Been racking my brains since the meet and I'm stumped checked the inlet gasket isn't leaking? Heard there a bastard for it

I don't think his is, as it will idle high, or refuse to tick over at a steady idle.

RE: Project get back 20bhp - lolsteve - 01-02-2014

(30-01-2014, 11:14 AM)Danny2009 Wrote: That is steep cost £10 for some tiger seal so there wanting £500 to spray the roof? Madness

(30-01-2014, 09:05 PM)procta Wrote: I don't think his is, as it will idle high, or refuse to tick over at a steady idle.
Is pretty steep, will end up having to try and do it myself now. Will be shoddy but i'll save some pennies I guess
Pretty sure it's not inlet gasket as don't hear any whistling or what procta says but going to change rocker gasket and tighten cam ladder bolts soon so will give the manifold a quick spray about
(30-01-2014, 11:38 AM)THE_Liam Wrote: Sounds like my head gasket. Not overheating, heaters working, no steam, no misfiring, no leaks, but water disappearing!
Water isn't disappearing though Smile and hasn't lost much ever since replaced the radiator

Purchased the heat wrapped Janspeed 4-2-1 and decat with new exhaust studs and bolts for £110. Shouldn't have spent the money but I want shinnies for track season

Reading some more turns out the vvc can be mistiming but not limit the revs it's the cam phase signal that limits (?)
http://www.metropower.org.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=35837&mid=346458
"The only way to tell if the cam timing is off is to put it on a diagnostics rig. The ECU won't apply a lower rev limit if the timing is wrong (bizarrely), only if the cam phase signal is missing alltogether.

Checking the cam pulley timing doesn't prove anything unfortunately. Its very easy to have those spot on and the mechs slightly (or completely) misaligned, resulting in restricted travel. Are all 4 plugs running the same colour?

Gareth"

Project get back 20bhp - devils_fuel - 01-02-2014

Fella you've gotta grow yourself some balls and whip the head off, completely strip and rebuild it with the correct torques and a polish while you're there. With the rebuilt head, the manifold, a full service inc plugs/leads/dizzy cap etc, when the vvc kicks in you should feel the pick up and hopefully have your horses back Smile

RE: Project get back 20bhp - procta - 01-02-2014

(01-02-2014, 11:04 PM)devils_fuel Wrote: Fella you've gotta grow yourself some balls and whip the head off, completely strip and rebuild it with the correct torques and a polish while you're there. With the rebuilt head, the manifold, a full service inc plugs/leads/dizzy cap etc, when the vvc kicks in you should feel the pick up and hopefully have your horses back Smile

He needs to ditch that bloody heavy shell more like it!

Project get back 20bhp - devils_fuel - 02-02-2014

(01-02-2014, 11:19 PM)procta Wrote:
(01-02-2014, 11:04 PM)devils_fuel Wrote: Fella you've gotta grow yourself some balls and whip the head off, completely strip and rebuild it with the correct torques and a polish while you're there. With the rebuilt head, the manifold, a full service inc plugs/leads/dizzy cap etc, when the vvc kicks in you should feel the pick up and hopefully have your horses back Smile

He needs to ditch that bloody heavy shell more like it!

True but i also like the saloon shell in blue Smile

RE: Project get back 20bhp - procta - 02-02-2014

I will give him that devil, the blue is nice, I would paint mine in that colour,

RE: Project get back 20bhp - lolsteve - 02-02-2014

Lend me a torque wrench and some axle stands then Wink Started reading into the whole vvc timing thing last night as I've avoided it for ages since apparently its very tricky, in truth it doesnt seem to bad once the cam ladder is off just a case of being careful and not rushing it. Would need help doing it though if just to get the belts off and check over what I've done, also found a guide to refurbing the tappets

(02-02-2014, 01:38 AM)procta Wrote: I will give him that devil, the blue is nice, I would paint mine in that colour
The blue is about the only compliment I get on this car lol

I get, " that's in great con for its age!" and " Christ! I haven seen one of those in a good while!" If your going to have a go, id get a new timing belt kit.

Project get back 20bhp - devils_fuel - 02-02-2014

(02-02-2014, 12:21 PM)lolsteve Wrote:
Lend me a torque wrench and some axle stands then Wink Started reading into the whole vvc timing thing last night as I've avoided it for ages since apparently its very tricky, in truth it doesnt seem to bad once the cam ladder is off just a case of being careful and not rushing it. Would need help doing it though if just to get the belts off and check over what I've done, also found a guide to refurbing the tappets

Like I said refurb the whole head, you will feel the torque difference

(02-02-2014, 11:21 PM)devils_fuel Wrote:
(02-02-2014, 12:21 PM)lolsteve Wrote:

Like I said refurb the whole head, you will feel the torque difference

he'd be better off getting a second hand head to or sent away to be refurbd and get a decent garage or mate to fit it for him.

Project get back 20bhp - devils_fuel - 03-02-2014

Whichever route he goes, it needs to be rebuilt by someone who knows what they're doing etc

RE: Project get back 20bhp - Danny2009 - 03-02-2014

If you do get end up getting a new head and need a hand fitting it give me a shout

RE: Project get back 20bhp - lolsteve - 03-02-2014

Getting the head refurbished is £270 + postage to them which frankly...is too much for me, more so after the janspeed+getting a sports cat and since it would need gaskets belts,long bolts etc it's just not doable right now
Re-timing the vvc and refurbishing the tappets seems the better option as it's leaking from the cam ladder anyway so needs doing before the engine runs dry or needs topping up all the time plus it would just need some sealant, wd40, sandpaper, cam locking tool and patience

Danny would you still be interested in helping me getting off the cam ladder? Maybe if I got in enough bacon n tea could make a yorkshire day of it

Project get back 20bhp - devils_fuel - 03-02-2014

Take your time Steve and do it properly these motors are a pain in the derrière but when fully sorted they are revy/torquey little beasts

I think Danny's got space and tools to do it in the dry, he's a diamond as well Smile

RE: Project get back 20bhp - 306Dan - 03-02-2014

to do the cam ladder you'll need the proper sealant from rover, its only a couple of quid but its essential due to it been a zero tolerance sealant

RE: Project get back 20bhp - lolsteve - 04-02-2014

(03-02-2014, 10:15 PM)devils_fuel Wrote: Take your time Steve and do it properly these motors are a pain in the derrière but when fully sorted they are revy/torquey little beasts

I think Danny's got space and tools to do it in the dry, he's a diamond as well Smile
I really can love this car it's just a few little bits that are holding me back i.e rust patch, side skirts and head. Just want it working in time for this years track events, otherwise it's another year gone by of not getting all I can out of it.
In regards to refurbishing the head apart from decoking the valves what else could be done if it's got good compression?
No pressure on Danny but if you don't help then im going to take your metro lol

(03-02-2014, 10:40 PM)306Dan Wrote: to do the cam ladder you'll need the proper sealant from rover, its only a couple of quid but its essential due to it been a zero tolerance sealant
good shout, was going to get some loctite stuff for £10 but the genuine rover one is £5 with new bolts Smile

RE: Project get back 20bhp - lolsteve - 20-02-2014

Very nearly lost it with this car recently after having to drive it with a hole in the roof, tracking box bouncing around, no cd player, dodgy electrics, interior in pieces, no skirts and front suspension making horrible squeaking/creaking over every bump however thanks to Allie and Karl it's back together short of the headlining which the rain has seen to stopping me from putting it back in.

Which means now onto the cam ladder, even if the vvc isn't poorly timed it's leaking oil at a fair rate now so one way or another it's going to have to come off and be resealed. And whilst it's off might as well check the vvc timing and clean up the tappets. Ideally would like to get it sorted before the castle combe day/summer show season along with getting on the janspeed manifold which in total should give me some more power to fun ratio Tongue

RE: Project get back 20bhp - procta - 23-02-2014

it will be still heavy sadly.

RE: Project get back 20bhp - lolsteve - 23-02-2014

True but turns out someone has put a rear anti roll bar on Big Grin Saved me the trouble of doing it

RE: Project get back 20bhp - karl1989 - 23-02-2014

(20-02-2014, 02:44 PM)lolsteve Wrote: Very nearly lost it with this car recently after having to drive it with a hole in the roof, tracking box bouncing around, no cd player, dodgy electrics, interior in pieces, no skirts and front suspension making horrible squeaking/creaking over every bump however thanks to Allie and Karl it's back together short of the headlining which the rain has seen to stopping me from putting it back in.

Which means now onto the cam ladder, even if the vvc isn't poorly timed it's leaking oil at a fair rate now so one way or another it's going to have to come off and be resealed. And whilst it's off might as well check the vvc timing and clean up the tappets. Ideally would like to get it sorted before the castle combe day/summer show season along with getting on the janspeed manifold which in total should give me some more power to fun ratio Tongue

Have you been to see alee? Should have said I would have popped round not seen him for a while