306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Oh dear... look what ive found! - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Engines (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: DW10 HDi section (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Oh dear... look what ive found! (/showthread.php?tid=13743)

Pages: 1 2

Oh dear... look what ive found! - Just Sean - 12-05-2013

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/limited-slip-differentials/car/peugeot/306-phase-3/1999/2-0td/quaife-atb-helical-lsd-differential

Discuss!

RE: Oh dear... look what ive found! - Poodle - 12-05-2013

What is there to discuss?

RE: Oh dear... look what ive found! - Just Sean - 12-05-2013

Benefits, cost, value for money (lol)

Is it worth doing?

Stage 1 spins the wheel up enough!

Ive had wheel slip on a white line on a motorway in 5th when going for an overtake....

RE: Oh dear... look what ive found! - Eeyore - 12-05-2013

wasnt jammapic running this and then sold his?

RE: Oh dear... look what ive found! - Mattcheese31 - 12-05-2013

buy better tyres? . . .Popcorn

RE: Oh dear... look what ive found! - Just Sean - 12-05-2013

obviously i know the benefits...

Wondering wether its worth saving the money for one...

(12-05-2013, 02:51 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: buy better tyres? . . .Popcorn

Brand new prada spec 2's... dont think it matters what tyres when youve got 290ftlbs! soon to be about 330...

RE: Oh dear... look what ive found! - Poodle - 12-05-2013

Well that's up to you really isn't it?

RE: Oh dear... look what ive found! - cwspellowe - 12-05-2013

I agree on the torkz front, Falken 912's were great on the GTi6 but are terrible on the estate, especialy first and second gear

RE: Oh dear... look what ive found! - Just Sean - 16-05-2013

Might be something im going to get, needto shift a set of wheels first though!

RE: Oh dear... look what ive found! - Ed Doe - 16-05-2013

Spec2's in the wet you say..... Hmm

Worth it if you can afford it, they do improve the drive a fair bit...

RE: Oh dear... look what ive found! - Dum-Dum - 16-05-2013

IMO id LSD before going stage3 as wheelspin is huge on the HDis, gotta be a huge gain out of your typical 2nd/3rd gear corner.

Yeah exactly why im probably gonna do it dum. Will hold its money when i inevitably break the car!

What would you class stage 3! Im never sure where mine is lol!

RE: Oh dear... look what ive found! - puglove - 16-05-2013

Just shut your gob and buy it you army brat

*raf...

Yes you are part of the rif raf

what are you part of?

saxp Big Grin

so why dont you f*ck of?

<3

Fine!!!!!!!!!! gone

RE: Oh dear... look what ive found! - Ruan - 16-05-2013

Prepare to f*ck all suspension components on a regular basis, including driveshafts...

Why? if its an ATB one it shouldnt have a major affect on things like that?

RE: Oh dear... look what ive found! - Ruan - 16-05-2013

When the wheel with the least traction spins faster, it attempts to SLOW the wheel down and ACCELERATE the one with more traction - applying negative torque to one wheel and applying more torque to the wheel with more grip - essentially putting the torque across the driveshafts... Pulling all the suspension around...

If you thought 300lb.ft kills suspension components fast (Trust me, having a car with around that sorta torque, even good quality stuff dies fast), wait until you have an LSD in there!!!

meh! theyre all consumables anyway! rather replace suspension components than tyres and suspension components

RE: Oh dear... look what ive found! - Poodle - 16-05-2013

Oh it won't be any easier on the tyres...

well it will.. otherwise their would be nopoint having it at all! Unless the torque is gonna smoke both the tyres up!

RE: Oh dear... look what ive found! - Poodle - 17-05-2013

Well that depends on how you drive at the moment, if you keep your foot planted when the wheel is spinning then it will shred the tyre, yeah, but if you let off a bit so the tyre can regain grip and do it's job it won't be wearing the tyres that much more.

An open diff (like the standard 306 one) sends torque down the path of least resistance, ie to the tyre with least grip, hence why you'll usually spin the inside wheel up when booting it out of a corner. No grip effectively means no friction, low friction means low tyre wear. The LSD only allows a limited level of torque bias, ie forcing both tyres to work as best they can. This means if the wheels are going to spin they'll both do it, rather than just one. As one of the tyres will be doing it on a grippier surface, that tyre will suffer more wear that it did under the same conditions as before the lsd was fitted.

Chances are you'll also end up carrying more speed through corners and traveling faster before having to brake, therefore working the tyres harder again. The lsd is a performance upgrade dude, as such it'll make other components work harder.

RE: Oh dear... look what ive found! - Ed Doe - 17-05-2013

Not to mention if you're driving hard enough to warrant the use of an lsd, and planting it out of corners, you'll be putting more lateral wear on the tyres anyway....

RE: Oh dear... look what ive found! - Just Sean - 17-05-2013

Im gonna see how i get on after this map im getting on the 6th... If its rediculous it might be getting done... two tyres of grip is gonna be better than one!

Could just get the standard diff welded up id imagine.... KIDDING!!

RE: Oh dear... look what ive found! - Poodle - 17-05-2013

lol

Not saying you won't love it mate, just that if you reckon you'll save tyres you're deluding yourself! Wink

RE: Oh dear... look what ive found! - darrenjlobb - 17-05-2013

Id run one in a flash if it wasnt so expensive, trouble is everytime i look at the price of one I think of what else I could buy with the same money.

Ive never driven with one, but i weld them solid in field cars, and the difference is un real, so would have thought it would be an EPIC upgrade, given its physically impossible to launch a DT hard without just lighting the front end up and setting tyres on fire!