306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum
Guide: Replacing 306 Broken Door Loom - Printable Version

+- 306oc - Peugeot 306 Owners Club & Forum (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: 306 Repairs & Mods (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: Guides (https://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Guide: Replacing 306 Broken Door Loom (/showthread.php?tid=11512)

Replacing 306 Broken Door Loom - cully - 02-03-2013

Have been having problems with my electric windows and the electric mirrors, i noticed that opening closing the drivers door sometimes made things work
so i was fairly certain the drivers door loom had broken wires in the flexible bit between the door and A pillar

this is a guide on how i went about repairing my loom.

Choices i made before starting
Do i repair my current loom?
No as i only wanted to repair this once as it would take 2-3 hours

Do i use second hand parts?
the answer to me was to use new parts
the reasoning behind this is my car is a 2002 last of the 306's so any second hand parts would probably be in worse state than my loom

Do i use New parts?
Yes as i could justify the expense because i was saving on the labour cost by doing it myself

So a new repair door loom with plug was ordered from Peugeot
part no 6542 VQ Price £97+VAT retail i paid £79 total

today was the day i would set about my repair

Tools
Wire cutters
Wire strippers
Multimeter
Heat gun
Soldering Iron
Screw driver
Torch
Solder
Heat shrink
Cable markers
Spanners

first off i opened the drivers window opened the Bonnet closed the door and waited for the BSI to go into sleep mode then i disconnected the battery

unplug the door loom plug and compare it to one you are replacing it with
make sure you have the same pins or more

now to remove the door to gain easier access to the plug n wires,
unbolt the check strap and remove the 2 centre hinge bolts the door will stay unsupported,
try not to push the check strap into the door this will save you strugaling later
now hold door via internal handle and window frame and lift the door will lift off the hinge, place door down on soft ground to save paint damage

now you have easy access to the plug and grommet

RE: Replacing Broken Door Loom - cully - 02-03-2013

gently prise out the grommet you will find it is a double grommet and the internal section has the rear water squirter pipe going through it,
you will need to cut the inner grommet to release the water pipe

note the Apillar bulkhead is 3 skins!

once i had freed both ends of the grommet i could then see my broken wires

as i was replacing the complete plug i removed each wire in tern and labled it with the plug pin position

now you end up with a scrap plug and the grommet which you need to thread onto the new plug n loom

good thing about a new loom plug is you dont need to lable the pins to wires as it is already done for you
see in the picture the wire numbers the number between the * is the pin number
ie: yellow wire *3* THE 3 IS THE PIN NUMBER

Now its time to get busy with the soldering Iron
But dont forget to thread the heatshrink on first!!

TOP TIP!!!!!
you need 3 hands for inline soldering get yourself some crocodile clips and make a 3rd hand!
now you can aline the joint hold the solder and apply heat

Heatshrink as you go

soldering larger cables

all done!
Tidy job Smile

dont forget to insulate the unused wires as you dont know if they are connected in the door side

now you have finished the soldering you might want to test your handywork
to see if you have fixed or caused more issus ! Big Grin

i brought the door to the car and plugged in the new plug as it was on a long lead
just to test and it all worked!

now you have to pull the cables back into the car and refit the grommet,
you might have to release the carpet on the A piller to enable you to pull the cables through, i also had to use a wire hook to reach up and pull them in as i couldnt reach the hole

now its just a case of refitting the door plugging in the plug and tidying up the wiring inside the car so you dont get your feet tied up

few extra pictures of the notes i made just incase the numbers fell off i put on

the drawing i had were 99% correct with just one wire number incorrect

to sum up!
the job took me about 3 1/2 hours in total
im glad i bought the new bits i wouldnt want to struggle with short secondhand cut offs,
would i do it again??? Yes I own a French car with crap electrics so i will probably have to!

if this guide helps anyone it was worth me doing it for you
so a little rep go's a long way Smile

good luck to anyone that attempts this

RE: Replacing 306 Broken Door Loom - darrenjlobb - 02-03-2013

*Tidied at cullys request*

RE: Replacing 306 Broken Door Loom - Eeyore - 02-03-2013

waoohhh tidy as in merge the posts not delete everyones comments D:

Ill say it again:

Good guide Cully well done. Hope i dont have to use it!

RE: Replacing 306 Broken Door Loom - bigtone0777 - 27-08-2013

I need to do this to mine when I eventually get the time.

Have some rep!

RE: Replacing Broken Door Loom - welshpete - 05-10-2013

(02-03-2013, 06:26 PM)cully Wrote: now you have finished the soldering you might want to test your handywork

i brought the door to the car and plugged in the new plug as it was on a long lead

you might have to release the carpet on the A piller to enable you to pull the cables through, i also had to use a wire hook to reach up and pull them in as i couldnt reach the hole

now its just a case of refitting the door plugging in the plug and tidying up the wiring inside the car so you dont get your feet tied up

few extra pictures of the notes i made just incase the numbers fell off i put on

to sum up!
im glad i bought the new bits i wouldnt want to struggle with short secondhand cut offs,
would i do it again??? Yes I own a French car with crap electrics so i will probably have to!

Top tip dude, followed your guide and bingo, all done. Took me a little longer as had a siezed hinge! (Wondered why the door was so stiff)! Have a boat load of rep

RE: Replacing 306 Broken Door Loom - cully - 05-10-2013

glade i could help a few people Big Grin

RE: Replacing 306 Broken Door Loom - Frosty - 06-10-2013

I need to do my driver side now Sad

Did you find it easy enough to do by pulling the wires out a bit?

RE: Replacing 306 Broken Door Loom - cully - 06-10-2013

(06-10-2013, 12:37 AM)Frosty Wrote: I need to do my driver side now Sad

Did you find it easy enough to do by pulling the wires out a bit?

you wont pull any more wire out of the car as the loom it taped tight and runs up against the exit hole behind the fuse box on the A pilar

RE: Replacing 306 Broken Door Loom - MCH - 06-10-2013

brilliant, I need to do this soon!

RE: Replacing 306 Broken Door Loom - Danny2009 - 07-10-2013

How would you go about doing it if the plug had already been cut off?

RE: Replacing 306 Broken Door Loom - MCH - 07-10-2013

(07-10-2013, 07:52 AM)Danny2009 Wrote: How would you go about doing it if the plug had already been cut off?

probably by doing what I'm going to do, go to the scrappy and cut a plug from a donor car to repair

RE: Replacing 306 Broken Door Loom - Danny2009 - 07-10-2013

But how would you know what wire coming from the car goes to what car on the plug?

RE: Replacing 306 Broken Door Loom - cully - 07-10-2013

(07-10-2013, 08:59 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: But how would you know what wire coming from the car goes to what car on the plug?

check the wire numbers
failing that tracing out each wire which is long hard work

RE: Replacing 306 Broken Door Loom - Danny2009 - 26-10-2013

There no numbers on the car there all worn off? Guess work it is then!

RE: Replacing 306 Broken Door Loom - ArbGarry - 26-10-2013

(26-10-2013, 06:43 PM)Danny2009 Wrote: There no numbers on the car there all worn off? Guess work it is then!

you could always hard wire them, i plan on doing that to mine next weekend, doing away with the plug, add a grommet and have everything on bullet connectors inside the door

RE: Replacing 306 Broken Door Loom - L.J - 09-01-2014

where did you get the crocodile clip thing? Ive never seen two connected like this before, looks very handy and I wouldn't mind buying one myself!

RE: Replacing 306 Broken Door Loom - cully - 09-01-2014

(09-01-2014, 04:42 PM)L.J Wrote: where did you get the crocodile clip thing? Ive never seen two connected like this before, looks very handy and I wouldn't mind buying one myself!

make one two crock clips on a piece of 6mm bent stud bar

RE: Replacing 306 Broken Door Loom - L.J - 11-01-2014

Cheers, and great guide. Ive repaired the loom in every 306 ive ever owned never went all out and replaced one like you . Fair play!

RE: Replacing 306 Broken Door Loom - darrenjlobb - 04-02-2014

Got one of these to repair, have repaired the wires before so thought I would replace the loom, went to peugeot, but apprently they no longer make this loom? Are they talking **** or is this correct? Anyone check there local dealer / post me one? I cba to fit a used one itl only fail again in no time :S

RE: Replacing 306 Broken Door Loom - Frosty - 04-02-2014

Darren I do have a brand new 1 from Peugeot that I could poss sell or I do have some good 2nd hand 1s off scrapped cars. Drop me a message if you interested

RE: Replacing 306 Broken Door Loom - cully - 04-02-2014

oww interesting if they have discontinued it

rubs hands with glee as i made a good move buying two when i saw them for sale if thats the case Smile

RE: Replacing 306 Broken Door Loom - jonas306 - 13-02-2014

Have the same problem on the left door, i have to sort it out soon, but hope to get one second hand!
Regards

RE: Replacing 306 Broken Door Loom - DeeTurbo - 19-03-2014

Wish I'd seen this guide before I started the loom on the estate.

Last night I missed the number on two green cable's, lucky I didn't blow anything and I realised that something was amiss.

Thanks for your help Cully.

RE: Replacing 306 Broken Door Loom - WiNgNuTz - 27-03-2014

Just looked on ebay, can get rear door looms for £9.99, but no sign of front looms...are these really a Dealer only part? Not sure im up for spending best part of £80 on a few bits of wire! Dodgy

RE: Replacing Broken Door Loom - stevegr - 09-12-2017

(02-03-2013, 06:26 PM)cully Wrote: now you have finished the soldering you might want to test your handywork

to sum up!

Thanks Cully your helpfulness has reached all the way to Australia! 
Love pugs - hate wiring!
Stevegr

RE: Replacing 306 Broken Door Loom - pug306driver - 03-01-2018

some thing tells me I may be doing this job very soon......will try an get a part number for your 306 phase 3 hdi estate v reg, different ecu to the one shown in the picture...

nice to know the door just lifts off......